Optimism from SDS

I'd love to read a Southern Baptist translation of the bible, you guys should make that happen.
I'm not Southern Baptist.

Anyway, it was a comment. You have your opinion and somebody had thiers. Why it bothers you so bad is beyond me but I enjoy from Tim to time.

My dad and uncle used to do this to my grandad. He'd get red-faced and start cussing. Haha, he'd get so flustered he'd start saying all kinds of crap that didn't even make sense. Called him Papa.

If we ever start winning most of this stupidity will go away. Most of it.

He is here now simply because no one else wanted the job and he was the best of options left.

Not a faux reality.

No one of note, was going to take the job for the money they were offering, without knowing the full extent of the possible sanctions.

UT was never going to offer an established coach the kind of cash required to risk coming here under severe NCAA penalties.

My optimism comes from a few things.

1 - As bad as things have been over the last 10-20 years, each coach we've hired has had SOME sort of national relevancy. Lane was always in the news. Dooley had Gameday games and NFL guys. Butch had us flirting with Top 10 - 20 teams. We won 8 straight with Jeremy and made circles in recruiting.

2 - Are we ever reaching 90's dominance again? Most likely not. When looking at the landscape of the current SEC and where UT fits into it, you can see a world where 8-4 is a legit floor for us. Rattle off 3-4 Non-cons and then beat Vandy, USC, UK, and Mizzou. Get a good draw from the West and boom 8-4 to 9-3. Considering where we've been lately, that would be a nice floor and change of pace.

3 - Heupel wasn't our first choice or Danny's for that matter. Bright side is that he brings some sort of expertise that is proven to one side of the ball. We haven't hired a person like that since Lane. Dooley was a position assistant. Butch I guess had a system but I think there is a real argument that it held us back from what we should have been. Pruitt was supposedly a Defensive guru, but I think it was clear from the constant confusion on that side of the ball that wasn't the case.

We shall see!

No one of note, was going to take the job for the money they were offering, without knowing the full extent of the possible sanctions.

UT was never going to offer an established coach the kind of cash required to risk coming here under severe NCAA penalties.

Who could they have hired and how much would it have cost to hired a Guaranteed homerun hire that would have agreed to come to this dumpster fire without knowing what kind of penalties he was going to have to deal with? How much did we offer that douche at Penn. State? How much, in your opinion should they have?

I believe you're as full of crap as you think I am.

*Guaranteed Homerun Hire. Lol.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Where is Slut Hollow? Never heard of this town, but it sounds lovely.
Like a lot of Tennessee rural property it is now a sub-division with 150 ft lots.
It has a fancy name that I forget.
Not to worry though, for those still able, I am sure that fornication still goes on there.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Who could they have hired and how much would it have cost to hired a Guaranteed homerun hire that would have agreed to come to this dumpster fire without knowing what kind of penalties he was going to have to deal with? How much did we offer that douche at Penn. State? How much, in your opinion should they have?

I believe you're as full of crap as you think I am.

*Guaranteed Homerun Hire. Lol.

How do I know, inference. In the last three coaching searches, UT didn't offer the kind of cash to appeal to an established coach. The overhead required to appeal to one when we have the possibility of sanctions is well beyond what UT has offered any coach in the past. Dooley, Butch, Pruitt, and Heupel, are all from the same market segment when it comes to coaching salaries.

Behr you choose to live in Florida, your opinion of me, and well, most matters, is null and void.

I don't know why, but I am optimistic about this hire as well. I don't expect a National Title or anything crazy but it would be nice to get back to where we are beating Missouri, Vandy, UK, and South Carolina regularly (well with Missouri we haven't beat them regularly but the good Vols teams would be).

I feel like if we can get past that hump and also be winning our OOC games, we will start to find ways to recruit and compete eventually against Florida, Georgia, and the SEC West Opponents.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Still trying to Google and find one school that mentioned him for a position, aren't you?

Nope. Never claimed that he was. You are the one that claimed definitive knowledge that he wasn't. That's my point. That's the point a lot of us are trying to make, I think. That you, dear BV, tend to make absolute pronouncements and decrees that leave no room for any other view point. It just gets tedious trying to engage in a conversation and hear people's ideas when one of the major players enjoys smashing anyone that even raises an alternative possibility - in a manner that tends to be personal and demeaning. That's all I'm saying.

You know a lot about the game and I respect that. And, many times over the years, I've enjoyed what you bring to the table. I'm going back to work now. Peace out. Go Vols.

How do I know, inference. In the last three coaching searches, UT didn't offer the kind of cash to appeal to an established coach. The overhead required to appeal to one when we have the possibility of sanctions is well beyond what UT has offered any coach in the past. Dooley, Butch, Pruitt, and Heupel, are all from the same market segment when it comes to coaching salaries.

Behr you choose to live in Florida, your opinion of me, and well, most matters, is null and void.
You act like all of that is new and you're privy to the information. That's why I find you so entertaining.

Not sure what me living in Florida has to do with a hill of beans, but you've made the same comment before, I think you're jealous and it's like everything you say is a repeat of yourself.

All of this over a comment from SDS because BV got triggered over a Vol fan being excited about the Vols.

#GoVols

Did you read the article? Is Heupel coaching at UT because he, like Danny White, as an "outsider", as the article called them both, or because White had already hired him once, and knew that he'd take a $2.3 million/year raise and a chance to coaching a P5 conference?

I did read the article. The writer is praising the fact that he is an outsider. He did not claim that him being an outsider was the reason he was hired.

There are a lot of reasons Heupel was hired. I doubt very much a primary reason White hired him was because he was cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Jesus...unrustle your jimmies champ.

I was referring his time on here because he made the erroneous statement that every post of mine was "negative".
He was right.

Every post of yours is negative.

Apparently he didn't need to be here 35 years to recognize that about you.

So name a P5 vacancy where Heupel was mentioned as a candidate; should be easy if I'm so wrong.

Heupel had a $10 million lump sum buyout up until this season (meaning all of the 10 million was due upon leaving for another job). So I imagine that had a lot to do with it.

But since you asked:

Will UCF’s $10 million buyout be enough to keep Baylor away from Josh Heupel? | Commentary

Baylor coaching candidates: Sonny Dykes, Blake Anderson, Josh Heupel lead replacements for Matt Rhule

Some beat writers mentioned him as possible candidates for Arizona and FSU as well. But those were more spitballing suggestions.

Last edited:
Note that we are going to look terrible against Alabama, Florida, Georgia and likely Ole Miss and Missouri this season. All 5 of those teams have far better talent and stability right now.

The games that are up in the air (or toss-ups) are South Carolina, Pittsburgh, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt. Of those 4, I am pretty confident about Vandy and on paper, South Carolina has many of the same issues that we have but perhaps worse. Pittsburgh would be more competitive if we got them later in the season but I don't like our chances in game 2 against them. I think we will keep it close but they probably beat us.

Kentucky is an usual one to predict. They are far more stable right now but this is kind of a rebuilding year. I think our offense will be highly improved going into the season but our defense will be very questionable. Kentucky always struggles to put up points but has a great defense. If we can put up over 24 points against Kentucky, I think we can win.

I am going with 5-7, (2-6 in the SEC) but I can see us potentially knocking off either Kentucky or Pitt to make a bowl.

Heupel had a 10 million dollar buyout up until this season. So I imagine that had a lot to do with it.

But since you asked:

Will UCF’s $10 million buyout be enough to keep Baylor away from Josh Heupel? | Commentary

Baylor coaching candidates: Sonny Dykes, Blake Anderson, Josh Heupel lead replacements for Matt Rhule

Some beat writers mentioned him as possible candidates for Arizona and FSU as well. But those were more spitballing suggestions.

BV will be here shortly to object and argue differently.............

Heupel has my support and that is all that really matters. Positive energy is through the roof this morning. GBO!!!!!!
"That's not reality dagnabbit!!!! This is footsballz and seriously bidness by golly and I don't wanna be here in Suckville with all the other sucklings. I wanna drag everybody down here with us, because ain't nobody got time for no fake fun. Real suck is is better than hope when it comes to the footsballz."

We might be looking for a new coarch in September, but I'm gonna have fun til then. Life's too short to live in Suckville with the Sucklings.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Other than Butch’s couple of good years, what do you expect them to say good about Tenn football? Winners laugh, and losers say deal the cards.

Is that inspired by some old country song? Swear I have heard something like that before, but can't remember it.

"That's not reality dagnabbit!!!! This is footsballz and seriously bidness by golly and I don't wanna be here in Suckville with all the other sucklings. I wanna drag everybody down here with us, because ain't nobody got time for no fake fun. Real suck is is better than hope when it comes to the footsballz."

We might be looking for a new coarch in September, but I'm gonna have fun til then. Life's too short to live in Suckville with the Sucklings.
A lot of fans get too caught up in how good or bad we will be and get all bent out of shape. I get excited regardless of preseason predictions and the analysis of CFB prognosticators. I know we aren’t going to win them all but there is nothing wrong with being positive about what we have and building towards a better program.

Reactions: Behr and FïreBall
He was right.

Every post of yours is negative.

Apparently he didn't need to be here 35 years to recognize that about you.

What's it like to try to live in modern society with a dualistic view where everything is either positive or negative?

VN Store

Back