Opposing coach puts Jeremy Pruitt's Tennessee rebuild into perspective: 'It's going to take five years to get it done'

Even if Pruitt doesn’t work out and gets canned, there’s no guarantee we’ll hire a big time HC.

Administration will screw it up and we’ll be starting from day 1 again.

Rinse & repeat.

The real problem these days? Look out on the coaching landscape. Do you actually see a big time coach that could get things done that could be had? Dabo and Saban can't be had. Outside those two who would be the slam dunk big name guy to get thngs done? It's not Gruden, hell he can't win in the NFL much less the SEC. I caution as an example in that Harbaugh was supposed to be a slam dunk Michigan winner and has yet beat the Buckeyes while setting the record for most losses ever against them by a Michigan coach. Who could do it, who is big time?

Even if Pruitt doesn’t work out and gets canned, there’s no guarantee we’ll hire a big time HC.

Administration will screw it up and we’ll be starting from day 1 again.

Rinse & repeat.
You can NEVER use uncertainty about the replacement as an excuse to keep an employee who isn't performing at the standard you expect. Doing so is a guaranteed formula for failure. You might fail on the next hire. That's true. But you can still "succeed" by not tolerating a bad coach.

Locksley if it’s a head coach, they never said it was a current opposing coach. Otherwise I doubt it’s a head coach.

Valid point, Ivan.

On the other hand, I once knew a Navy Lt Cmdr who loved using first names of officers superior to him. Never knew the first names of his troops, far as we could tell, just the generals, admirals, colonels and (Navy) captains. He also loved trying to get himself on TV. When we were in the box, he'd seek out the reporters, and talk blue blazes about practically any subject, whether it was in his lane or not. So he'd be talking about how "General Tommy Franks made this decision" or "Colonel Mike Macro (not his real name) is considering that." Heh, dude was out of control. Funny thing is, afaik, he never got any grief from his bosses for grandstanding.

Anyway, some folks use first names of prominent people to make themselves seem more important by familiar association. No telling if this anonymous source fits that mould, but hey: he is talking to the press. If it can happen in an organization as stratified as the military, it sure can happen in the coaching ranks.

Go Vols!

I had a drill sargent at Fort Knox named "the Rock" that sure loved to call out last names when we were force marching up Misery and Agony Hills during basic training......I'll never forget that forced march where an overweight guy behind me passed out and went face first into the pavement, blood everywhere, not a pleasant sight.....ambulance scooped him up and off to the Hospital
Then Off to Vietnam!
Now those were the days!

Nicely put! I think we all can agree that Butch was a train wreck but he did have the VOLS competing for the SECE by his third year so it is a reasonable expectation for Pruitt to do the same. Jones and Pruitt inherited similar rosters in their first years as well both finishing 5-7. Pruitt will also face the sooners in year three just like Jones. UT has to start winning the marquee games in order to get back to national prominence.
GA and FL also were in a slump during those seasons. To expect that as early as next year is a tall order imo. Georgia is stacked. It will take longer to compete with them.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but it does seem to have worked out in Georgia’s favor so far.
Georgia also produces a ton of talent, so to have a team stacked and not getting over a 9-10 win hump season after season is not a good look for them. Bringing in a new coach who could get over that hump makes sense for them. Would not make sense for us. Apples and oranges.

Reactions: ptcarter
Georgia also produces a ton of talent, so to have a team stacked and not getting over a 9-10 win hump season after season is not a good look for them. Bringing in a new coach who could get over that hump makes sense for them. Would not make sense for us. Apples and oranges.
So what your saying is we should not expect to compete on a normal basis with the likes of Georgia and Florida? It’s not apples to oranges.. history says we can indeed not only compete but exceed them, just takes the right pieces in place.

So what your saying is we should not expect to compete on a normal basis with the likes of Georgia and Florida? It’s not apples to oranges.. history says we can indeed not only compete but exceed them, just takes the right pieces in place.
No, I agree, I just don't think firing a consistent 9/10 win coach will get us there either.

Yep, someone like Rodney garner to somehow get a large number of top recruits, somehow. If u.t. hadn’t allowed him to jump to ga. Fulmer might still have a head coaching job. We are suppose to have great recruiters on staff now so we will see. Little evidence that’s true so far.

No, I agree, I just don't think firing a consistent 9/10 win coach will get us there either.
Nah, and I for one wouldn’t be calling for it.. just ticks me off that it worked out so well for UGA.. I thought for sure they would screw themselves by making that move, but it actually has worked out very well for them.

I had a drill sargent at Fort Knox named "the Rock" that sure loved to call out last names when we were force marching up Misery and Agony Hills during basic training......I'll never forget that forced march where an overweight guy behind me passed out and went face first into the pavement, blood everywhere, not a pleasant sight.....ambulance scooped him up and off to the Hospital
Then Off to Vietnam!
Now those were the days!

We had a sarge that made f**ups jog circles around the company while the company was jogging in formation. I fortunately escaped that one but it was hell doing it in full field gear.

We had a sarge that made f**ups jog circles around the company while the company was jogging in formation. I fortunately escaped that one but it was hell doing it in full field gear.

Likewise, we had a drill Sargent at Fort Knox make Fu**ups climb a tree and sit there and whistle shi.* Bird while troops past by in formation
True story

Reactions: Hunerwadel
Likewise, we had a drill Sargent at Fort Knox make Fu**ups climb a tree and sit there and whistle shi.* Bird while troops past by in formation
True story

I don't know what it's like now but in the 60s even if you were a perfect recruit your number was sooner or later going to come up and the drill sargents would be on you like vultures on a cow carcass. I felt really sorry for recruits that never did anything athletic. I played sports in school so I was pretty used to getting chewed out, cussed and disciplined.

Valid point, Ivan.

On the other hand, I once knew a Navy Lt Cmdr who loved using first names of officers superior to him. Never knew the first names of his troops, far as we could tell, just the generals, admirals, colonels and (Navy) captains. He also loved trying to get himself on TV. When we were in the box, he'd seek out the reporters, and talk blue blazes about practically any subject, whether it was in his lane or not. So he'd be talking about how "General Tommy Franks made this decision" or "Colonel Mike Macro (not his real name) is considering that." Heh, dude was out of control. Funny thing is, afaik, he never got any grief from his bosses for grandstanding.

Anyway, some folks use first names of prominent people to make themselves seem more important by familiar association. No telling if this anonymous source fits that mould, but hey: he is talking to the press. If it can happen in an organization as stratified as the military, it sure can happen in the coaching ranks.

Go Vols!

Only time I have used prominent people's first names is when these lame butt PAC telemarketers call my Dad. "Buddy, you can put us on your do not call list right now, or the next time, I'm callin Lamar!"

Of course, I had to pretend I was Dad, but it worked.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I'd be curious what some posters responses would be if the thread was :

"Opposing Coach says he doesn't think Pruitt gets it done".

Well heck, they aren't gonna say that if they believe it. As far as I'm concerned saying "Its gonna take 5 years" is the same dang thing.

If his 9/10 win seasons include yearly losses to Bama, FL and GA every year it sure does.
Bottom line is you or nobody else knows, how about letting it play out. And the start of this thread was absurd over anonymous, which was probably made up by the writer. And if you can't be a big boy and put your name behind your statements your nothing more than a PRICK! GBO!

Well heck, they aren't gonna say that if they believe it. As far as I'm concerned saying "Its gonna take 5 years" is the same dang thing.

Yea well it's not the same dang thang. What does "get it done" mean? If it means win an NC, I'll give him 5. If it means win 9 games, then I guess it might as well be the "same dang thang"

What is your definition of "get it done"?

Yea well it's not the same dang thang. What does "get it done" mean? If it means win an NC, I'll give him 5. If it means win 9 games, then I guess it might as well be the "same dang thang"

What is your definition of "get it done"?

Being in contention. Making sure every team we face walks off the field relieved the game is over, win or lose. And, of course, beating 7-5. And one of those 5 better not be that bunch in black and gold.

Edit: This year, not next.

Being in contention. Making sure every team we face walks off the field relieved the game is over, win or lose. And, of course, beating 7-5. And one of those 5 better not be that bunch in black and gold.

Edit: This year, not next.

Yea, well I bet good money that's not what the opposing coach meant.

Being in contention for what?

Yea, well I bet good money that's not what the opposing coach meant.

Being in contention for what?

For whatever 8 wins puts you in contention for. Not being blown out.

And who cares what he meant? Its just coach speak. And at least he didn't say individuals.

Pruitt is facing a 5 year total rebuild at TN. He knew that coming in. So did every other DC, OC and HC already coaching in the SEC.

Pruitt inherited no S&C, no big uglies on the OL or DL, no elite speed, no elite QB. Not to mention a soft mentally weak team culture.

Win lose or draw Pruitt’s got 5 years to rebuild our roster. Bank on it. I doubt he would have accepted the job w/o that assurance. I know I wouldn’t.

If Pruitt can’t coach and we’re not SECC competitive by Year 5 then he’ll leave behind a completely rebuilt roster for the next man up w a bigger name.

Reactions: CascadeVolunteer
So what your saying is we should not expect to compete on a normal basis with the likes of Georgia and Florida? It’s not apples to oranges.. history says we can indeed not only compete but exceed them
Does it? It's true, we had a long period from 1989-2001 in which we were one of college football's most consistent winners. Florida of course was also strong, and Georgia was in a post-Vince Dooley retirement funk, which aided our cause significantly because we got a lot of that State's best players onto our roster. It is worth noting also that this period of sustained success came after a long period of stability and program building. We had a great year like 85' now and then but there was a lot of 7, 8 win seasons in there, but we bided our time and built a stable program and then stepped into the conference power vacuum in the 90's when it presented itself.

With that said, the 90's are not our modern norm. We were 4th in overall wins in the 90's but that is our only decade in the last 6 in which we were top 10 in wins. Georgia and Florida on the other hand have been in the top 10 in wins 3 of the last 4 decades and 2 of the last 3 respectively. In the 47 seasons in which college football has been fully integrated, which as great and as needed as that was, as a practical matter it must be recognized, substantially altered the fundamental recruiting calculus against the State of Tennessee in favor of Florida and Georgia, for the foreseeable future. Since that time, Tennessee is 18th in wins, Florida is 10th, and Georgia is 7th.

Am I saying we should never expect to beat Florida or Georgia? No, I am saying though, that when both programs are going strong, it's going to be tough to overtake them, we need to raise ourselves to status of a regular 8-9 win team first. Since the 1950's ended, that's been our baseline anyway, a Top 20 team, not a Top 10 team. We need to create stability like we did before and wait for our power vacuum, and then step into it again and fight like hell to hold onto it once we get it again. Firing coaches every 3-5 years, especially when we find one who regularly wins 9 games will turn us into Ole Miss, a once proud program whose glory days are long, long gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back