Opposing coach puts Jeremy Pruitt's Tennessee rebuild into perspective: 'It's going to take five years to get it done'

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...g-coach-lindys-2019-college-football-preview/

Here are the anonymous comments regarding Tennessee from the latest 2019 Lindy’s Sports Southeastern Conference football preview magazine:

On the future of the program:
“Tennessee needs a talent upgrade. … It’s going to take five years to get it done. I think Jeremy Pruitt will get it done because he’s a good enough coach and recruiter to get it done. But it will take that long. The reason is, there’s other people in the league already getting it done. And they have no margin for error because they play Alabama, Georgia and Florida every year.”​

On last season’s finish:
“The question is, why did they finish so poorly last year? They played like crap down the stretch against Missouri and Vanderbilt. They’ve lost three in a row to Vanderbilt — that’s unacceptable.”​

On the hire of Jim Chaney:

“Jeremy lucked out getting rid of Tyson Helton and hiring Jim Chaney. I think he’s the best, most proven offensive coordinator in the league. I think Jim is outstanding. If Jeremy will leave him alone, Jim will be fine.”​

Who does this sound like? I say Stoops

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...g-coach-lindys-2019-college-football-preview/

Here are the anonymous comments regarding Tennessee from the latest 2019 Lindy’s Sports Southeastern Conference football preview magazine:

“Tennessee needs a talent upgrade. … It’s going to take five years to get it done. I think Jeremy Pruitt will get it done because he’s a good enough coach and recruiter to get it done. But it will take that long. The reason is, there’s other people in the league already getting it done. And they have no margin for error because they play Alabama, Georgia and Florida every year.”​

On last season’s finish:
“The question is, why did they finish so poorly last year? They played like crap down the stretch against Missouri and Vanderbilt. They’ve lost three in a row to Vanderbilt — that’s unacceptable.”​

“Jeremy lucked out getting rid of Tyson Helton and hiring Jim Chaney. I think he’s the best, most proven offensive coordinator in the league. I think Jim is outstanding. If Jeremy will leave him alone, Jim will be fine.”​

Last quote sounds like Muschamp.

Last quote sounds like Muschamp.

As is the case every year: these probably are not head coaches, any of them. They're probably not even coordinators, though some might be. They're probably mostly position coaches, graduate assistants, and the like. Folks who don't know what 5 minutes of fame feels like, so they're still eager to chat with the press.

The head coaches couldn't be bothered.

5 years is right. Doesn’t mean 5 years of .500 play though. Expect continuous improvement but at a gradual pace.

2019: 6 or 7 wins
2020: 7 or 8 wins (we should drop the Oklahoma game)
2021: 9 or 10 wins
2022: 10+

Stability and patience are key.

As is the case every year: these probably are not head coaches, any of them. They're probably not even coordinators, though some might be. They're probably mostly position coaches, graduate assistants, and the like. Folks who don't know what 5 minutes of fame feels like, so they're still eager to chat with the press.

The head coaches couldn't be bothered.

Probably, but I thought of Will because he almost always uses first names when referring to his SEC counterparts. Asst. HCs are typically less likely to do so unless they know the HC really well.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
5 years sounds about right. Only thing I disagree with is that Pruitt lucked into Chaney.
If it takes him 5 years to show significant improvement... he won't get 5 years.

That does sound like Stoops though to whoever said it. He's trying to rationalize why it took him so long... though I don't think he's "gotten it done" to the extent UT expects.

5 years is right. Doesn’t mean 5 years of .500 play though. Expect continuous improvement but at a gradual pace.

2019: 6 or 7 wins
2020: 7 or 8 wins (we should drop the Oklahoma game)
2021: 9 or 10 wins
2022: 10+

Stability and patience are key.
The unfortunate thing is that as reasonable as your post sounds... it isn't. Recruiting requires a coach to prove himself. If Pruitt is still struggling in the 6-8 win range after 3 years, the recruits will simply stop listening. Fans will get disillusioned. He'll lose the momentum needed to finish the job. He may not have to win the East... but he'll need to be in the conversation during the season at some point during the first 3 years.

The thrashings by the top tier teams also have to end both for continued fan support and recruiting.

On last season’s finish:

Tennessee will take a giant leap forward this season by going at best 9-3 and at worst 8-4. Tennessee going into the Bowl Season will be ranked in the Top 25.

Dabo didn’t have immediate success at Clemson, just a patient ride to the top. I get it that ACC isn’t the SEC, but it is a fact this will take time and there won’t be an immediate turn around.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Dabo didn’t have immediate success at Clemson, just a patient ride to the top. I get it that ACC isn’t the SEC, but it is a fact this will take time and there won’t be an immediate turn around.
He won his division in his first full year and won the ACC in his 3rd full year. He played in the NC game in his 6th full year and won it in his 7th full year.

I think most of us could have patience with that ride to the top...

If the "quoter" can't put a name to the source, then the quote ain't.
Every phrase ever uttered since the dawn of man could be said to be a quote from Anonymous.
FAKE NEWS! If you can't put a name to a source then I can make them up just as good or better than he can. This guy is qualified for CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, they would snatch him up if he'll just proclaim he's a dye-hard Dem.

The unfortunate thing is that as reasonable as your post sounds... it isn't. Recruiting requires a coach to prove himself. If Pruitt is still struggling in the 6-8 win range after 3 years, the recruits will simply stop listening. Fans will get disillusioned. He'll lose the momentum needed to finish the job. He may not have to win the East... but he'll need to be in the conversation during the season at some point during the first 3 years.

The thrashings by the top tier teams also have to end both for continued fan support and recruiting.
Nicely put! I think we all can agree that Butch was a train wreck but he did have the VOLS competing for the SECE by his third year so it is a reasonable expectation for Pruitt to do the same. Jones and Pruitt inherited similar rosters in their first years as well both finishing 5-7. Pruitt will also face the sooners in year three just like Jones. UT has to start winning the marquee games in order to get back to national prominence.

Reactions: 08Vol
Unfortunately, we're not a patient bunch, but then we did make it through the last 4 coaches, so what's one more run at it. I had high hopes for the others but no way can we be worse off than before.

He won his division in his first full year and won the ACC in his 3rd full year. He played in the NC game in his 6th full year and won it in his 7th full year.

I think most of us could have patience with that ride to the top...

Agreed. Like I said, winning the division that quick isn’t happening in the SEC, but I see no reason why patience and steady improvement can’t put us competitive and even winning against Bama and UGA in the next few years.

Reactions: savannahfan

Sounds like Johhny Majors IMO.

Reactions: dduncan4163

VN Store

Back