Opposing coach puts Jeremy Pruitt's Tennessee rebuild into perspective: 'It's going to take five years to get it done'

Probably, but I thought of Will because he almost always uses first names when referring to his SEC counterparts. Asst. HCs are typically less likely to do so unless they know the HC really well.

Valid point, Ivan.

On the other hand, I once knew a Navy Lt Cmdr who loved using first names of officers superior to him. Never knew the first names of his troops, far as we could tell, just the generals, admirals, colonels and (Navy) captains. He also loved trying to get himself on TV. When we were in the box, he'd seek out the reporters, and talk blue blazes about practically any subject, whether it was in his lane or not. So he'd be talking about how "General Tommy Franks made this decision" or "Colonel Mike Macro (not his real name) is considering that." Heh, dude was out of control. Funny thing is, afaik, he never got any grief from his bosses for grandstanding.

Anyway, some folks use first names of prominent people to make themselves seem more important by familiar association. No telling if this anonymous source fits that mould, but hey: he is talking to the press. If it can happen in an organization as stratified as the military, it sure can happen in the coaching ranks.

Go Vols!

Nicely put! I think we all can agree that Butch was a train wreck but he did have the VOLS competing for the SECE by his third year so it is a reasonable expectation for Pruitt to do the same. Jones and Pruitt inherited similar rosters in their first years as well both finishing 5-7. Pruitt will also face the sooners in year three just like Jones. UT has to start winning the marquee games in order to get back to national prominence.
Good post. Scary part is that recruits pretty much stopped listening to Jones after he blew it in year 3. A blind man could have seen the recruiting issues after the 4th year fail. I don't know that the results as much as the way it happened caused the drop off. But the last two classes weren't on par with the 2nd and 3rd ones.

Reactions: 08Vol
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...g-coach-lindys-2019-college-football-preview/

Here are the anonymous comments regarding Tennessee from the latest 2019 Lindy’s Sports Southeastern Conference football preview magazine:

On the future of the program:
“Tennessee needs a talent upgrade. … It’s going to take five years to get it done. I think Jeremy Pruitt will get it done because he’s a good enough coach and recruiter to get it done. But it will take that long. The reason is, there’s other people in the league already getting it done. And they have no margin for error because they play Alabama, Georgia and Florida every year.”​

On last season’s finish:
“The question is, why did they finish so poorly last year? They played like crap down the stretch against Missouri and Vanderbilt. They’ve lost three in a row to Vanderbilt — that’s unacceptable.”​

On the hire of Jim Chaney:

“Jeremy lucked out getting rid of Tyson Helton and hiring Jim Chaney. I think he’s the best, most proven offensive coordinator in the league. I think Jim is outstanding. If Jeremy will leave him alone, Jim will be fine.”​

Who does this sound like? I say Stoops
Yeah, it better not take 5 years ..... if he isn’t winning at a pretty high level by year 3, he won’t be here in year 5.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...g-coach-lindys-2019-college-football-preview/

Here are the anonymous comments regarding Tennessee from the latest 2019 Lindy’s Sports Southeastern Conference football preview magazine:

On the future of the program:
“Tennessee needs a talent upgrade. … It’s going to take five years to get it done. I think Jeremy Pruitt will get it done because he’s a good enough coach and recruiter to get it done. But it will take that long. The reason is, there’s other people in the league already getting it done. And they have no margin for error because they play Alabama, Georgia and Florida every year.”​

On last season’s finish:
“The question is, why did they finish so poorly last year? They played like crap down the stretch against Missouri and Vanderbilt. They’ve lost three in a row to Vanderbilt — that’s unacceptable.”​

On the hire of Jim Chaney:

“Jeremy lucked out getting rid of Tyson Helton and hiring Jim Chaney. I think he’s the best, most proven offensive coordinator in the league. I think Jim is outstanding. If Jeremy will leave him alone, Jim will be fine.”​

Who does this sound like? I say Stoops
5 years? Sounds like Butch Jones

Agreed. Like I said, winning the division that quick isn’t happening in the SEC, but I see no reason why patience and steady improvement can’t put us competitive and even winning against Bama and UGA in the next few years.
Tennessee will finish 3rd in the SEC East and go to the Outback Bowl which I would say is good progress by Coach Pruitt and Staff.

Unfortunately, we're not a patient bunch, but then we did make it through the last 4 coaches, so what's one more run at it. I had high hopes for the others but no way can we be worse off than before.
Our patience matters less than recruit attention. Recruits look at the winners and the new guys who promise they can build a winner. The consistent middling coaches are the ones who have the harder sell.

Yeah, it better not take 5 years ..... if he isn’t winning at a pretty high level by year 3, he won’t be here in year 5.
Or if he is... it will be two years of decline again like it was with Jones and Fulmer before a change is made. That will handicap the next coach in the same way.

I don't particularly like that you can't build "patiently"... but in this age of recruiting and media... it isn't realistic.

As is the case every year: these probably are not head coaches, any of them. They're probably not even coordinators, though some might be. They're probably mostly position coaches, graduate assistants, and the like. Folks who don't know what 5 minutes of fame feels like, so they're still eager to chat with the press.

The head coaches couldn't be bothered.

Totally agree

Dabo didn’t have immediate success at Clemson, just a patient ride to the top. I get it that ACC isn’t the SEC, but it is a fact this will take time and there won’t be an immediate turn around.
He had 10 wins in his third year. Not really going to count his interim year he took over for Bowden in 2008.

I can see this in year 3, but it isn’t out of the question this year. Losses to UGA and Florida while sweeping the rest of the east isn’t totally crazy.

Kills me to say a loss to UF is acceptable but I'd take that this season.

It’s a sad state of affairs, but I would be elated just to beat Vandy this year. Ugh.
I think Tennessee loses to Alabama then wins the rest of the games against

South Carolina(They will have a poor 2019 season winning 4-5 games in my opinion)
UAB
Kentucky(Kentucky lost a ton of players off of the 2018 season and will win 7 games at best)
Missouri(Missouri can't go bowling because of NCAA Probation and will stagger to a 5-7 record)
Vanderbilt(Vandy will suck this season and go 0-8 in the SEC in my opinion)

Last quote sounds like Muschamp.
We all knew that was a risk from the very beginning though. Pruitt had only ever played or coached defense and also had never been a head coach prior to taking the job. His success or failure here will likely hinge on if he finds the right guy to run the offense. I expect defense and recruiting over time to be fine given he's performed well in those areas at lower levels.

Also, I don't really see how he "lucked" into Chaney either. Helton left to take a HC job and rumor had it he was on the way out regardless, then we threw a bunch of money at Chaney and enticed him to leave Georgia.

VN Store

Back