Opinions on living in Maryville?

Heritage always gets a bad rep for academics. I'll tell you the truth, when Heritage opened people used to ask kids if they rode a tractor to school. That's the snotty attitude you can get with some MHS people.

I had friends from Heritage. I had one that could have thrown a rock and hit Heritage High, but he was a big ol boy. Guess where he played Football? My friends and I had friends from different schools. We spent a lot of time in the Heritage kid's backyard because they had the best playground (the Little River), knew the best off-roading places, and built the best rope swings.

There is a difference in academics if you have children. Sometimes I think the better attitude you find at other schools is worth the trade-off.
This sounds accurate. My wife talks all about her days on the Little Pigeon and diving into the river. A lot of school skipping and heading to the mountains.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Heritage always gets a bad rep for academics. I'll tell you the truth, when Heritage opened people used to ask kids if they rode a tractor to school. That's the snotty attitude you can get with some MHS people.

I had friends from Heritage. I had one that could have thrown a rock and hit Heritage High, but he was a big ol boy. Guess where he played Football? My friends and I had friends from different schools. We spent a lot of time in the Heritage kid's backyard because they had the best playground (the Little River), knew the best off-roading places, and built the best rope swings.

There is a difference in academics if you have children. Sometimes I think the better attitude you find at other schools is worth the trade-off.
I'm from Greenback. We did not get along with Maryville High guys. We dated their girls, sure. And they hated us for it. To this day, my best friends are from Greenback, Alcoa and Heritage. We always got along fine with Alcoa and Heritage. William Blount guys were just kind of non-existent lol.

I'm from Greenback. We did not get along with Maryville High guys. We dated their girls, sure. And they hated us for it. To this day, my best friends are from Greenback, Alcoa and Heritage. We always got along fine with Alcoa and Heritage. William Blount guys were just kind of non-existent lol.

Haha, my daughter's first little boyfriend played football for Greenback. When I was in school (long ago!) I don't recall any animosity with Greenback folks. My neighbor in Maryville moved to Greenback and built Maple Lane Farms. He was an outlier though, a Yankee transplant that everyone loved. Nicest guy in town.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Sounds like some big business is coming to Maryville with Amazon and S&W. They must see some good things about the area. Sounds like Maryville has some good places to eat, but may not be abundant. That shouldn't be an issue as I won't mind driving to Knoxville for a dinner out.

How hard is it to get your kids into Maryville city schools if you live outside of city limits? Is it based on who you know? Is there a waiting list?

Sounds like some big business is coming to Maryville with Amazon and S&W. They must see some good things about the area. Sounds like Maryville has some good places to eat, but may not be abundant. That shouldn't be an issue as I won't mind driving to Knoxville for a dinner out.

How hard is it to get your kids into Maryville city schools if you live outside of city limits? Is it based on who you know? Is there a waiting list?

$2200 per year. It sounds like you be in the Priority 5 category, which is the lowest priority.
https://resources.finalsite.net/ima...rrrwblc5kunwd/2020-2021TuitionApplication.pdf

Reactions: MEDVOL
I lived in Maryville for two years after graduating from UT.

The Good: Easy to get anywhere in town, some great restaurants and breweries, has basically everything you could want or need. 30 minutes in either direction puts you in Knoxville or GSMNP. The majority of people are very nice and welcoming, a lot of transplants, so you never really feel like an outsider. Still miss the view of the mountains I had from my patio. You’ve already been told about the schools, my wife taught at Carpenters Middle for a year and loved it.

The Bad: Traffic is awful, Alcoa Highway in the morning and afternoon is a dumpster fire. Cost of a decent house is pretty high, but I guess where isn’t it high these days. Like any small town (or anywhere really,) it has its share of small minded people….I got my fair share of ugly comments about the racial demographic of Memphis when I told people I was from there.

I lived in Maryville for two years after graduating from UT.

The Good: Easy to get anywhere in town, some great restaurants and breweries, has basically everything you could want or need. 30 minutes in either direction puts you in Knoxville or GSMNP. The majority of people are very nice and welcoming, a lot of transplants, so you never really feel like an outsider. Still miss the view of the mountains I had from my patio. You’ve already been told about the schools, my wife taught at Carpenters Middle for a year and loved it.

The Bad: Traffic is awful, Alcoa Highway in the morning and afternoon is a dumpster fire. Cost of a decent house is pretty high, but I guess where isn’t it high these days. Like any small town (or anywhere really,) it has its share of small minded people….I got my fair share of ugly comments about the racial demographic of Memphis when I told people I was from there.
Didn’t have to move to Maryville to hear derogatory comments on Memphis - they’re on VN regularly

Absolutely. Didn’t mean it as an indictment on Maryville itself, just on idiots who choose to see skin color rather than character.
Wow, I thought it was the high crime rates and the over the top political corruption in Memphis? Didn’t realize it was strictly folks hating others solely based on their skin color.

Whaaaat? They have an Applebees, Pizza Hut, Captain D's and numerous other fine dining establishments. I don't understand people's comments sometimes.
they have a cuban place, pizza joint downtown, sullivans, walnut kitchen, foothills dining. issue i have is its mono culture. city doesnt embrace its downtown and greenway nearly enough. traffic is atrocious for a city that size, and they purposely want to keep it that way.

i see the allure. if you like small city with little to do for families, and a 30 minute commute doesnt bother you. you will like it. we find it boring.

I wouldn’t say Maryville has any outstanding food. Average to good. The Mexican food here is average to bad. Yes, I’ve been to all of the “good” places. If your salsa tastes like tomato sauce and you got the stewed tomatoes from a can, you aren’t a legit Mexican place. I’m from south texas - I just make my own salsa, queso, tacos, etc, all from scratch. An average Mexican restaurant in Austin would be a great one here (Chuys is a mediocre place in Austin - it’s based there).

The food scene in Knoxville is getting a little better - they just need more variety AND more food made from scratch - not frozen or from a can.

VN Store

Back