Opinion on rotation?

His instinct, footwork and touch outside 5 feet are better than an big we’ve had in a long time, which makes him hard to compare to previous. Imo

However I do agree he appears to need a little more nasty in him just based off the video available. But as good as his offensive IQ seems to be maybe he’s just been conservative to not get in foul trouble on d, so there wasn’t as many impressive highlights on that end. He had good timing in the blocks I saw tho. And a year playing with this squad everyday should instill a good rebounding habit too.

And another lefty too!!??... woo wee

Curious to see what everyone’s thoughts out on the rotation are, last year Barnes pretty much played the same 8 guys every night and then sprinkled in 2 more guys that varied on a game by game basis, so you had 12 guys appear in games but typically only going 10 deep in each game.

I think this year your main 8 will be: Bone, Bowden, Turner, Schofield, Williams, Alexander, Pons and Walker...leaving Johnson, Fulk and Kent to compete for those last few minutes and foul trouble minutes and Burns redshirting imo.

My take...

PG: Jordan Bone 30/ Lamonte Turner 10
SG: Jordan Bowden 24/Lamonte Turner 16
SF: Admiral Schofield 20/Yves Pons 15/Jordan Bowden 5
PF: Grant Williams 30/Admiral Schofield 10
C: Kyle Alexander 26/Derrick Walker 14

Total minutes:
Williams 30
Schofield 30
Bone 30
Bowden 29
Turner 26
Alexander 26
Pons 15
Walker 14

I think Johnson & Fulk will consistently be the 9th & 10th guys off the bench, and I think Kent will almost certainly play the least amount of total minutes of all 11.

What’s everyone think?

Just based on what I have read, I will say more Walker and Fulk. Maybe a little less Turner, Alexander or Bowden to give them minutes some way.

I am really not sure what to expect from Pons. He had a long way to go as a basketball player last year, despite his physical abilities. I would cut his minutes to 8, until further notice.

Johnson may disappoint again, as you have indicated.

Kent? I have no idea. Maybe he can bomb some 3's when we get behind? I just haven't heard much about his progress. So, I am assuming there hasn't been a lot.

After his first season at TN. Before that, he wasn’t shy outside of the paint. It’s what led Pearl to playing Steven Pearl instead of Maymon, which frustrated everyone, but Pearl couldn’t trust Maymon to stop pretending he was a SF with Admiral Schofield’s jumper.

Right, but I was referring to the Maymon that was good, which SF Maymon wasn’t and surely wasn’t anything that looked like Burns lol.

Rob Lewis has said a couple of times that Bowden will run the back up point. Wonder how he will look in that role?

I asked Rob and he replied, “Coaches say Bowden. I'm sure Turner will handle it some.” I will be interested to see his development there.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I've heard CRB say minutes go to those who play defense. We all talk about offensive improvements when assigning minutes? Competition makes it interesting for sure.

Maybe it wasn’t him then. I remember some guy who had a big weight loss that led to him being a monster. Idk lol I do remebr the bad knees
That was Williams, but he was never a monster.
Ikeakor was another who never lived up to billing.

however it plays out you know there's going to be a lot of rotating...coach likes to keep'em fresh!

GO VOLS!

I've heard CRB say minutes go to those who play defense. We all talk about offensive improvements when assigning minutes? Competition makes it interesting for sure.
Defense and rebounding is why I give Pons those minutes, he doesn’t care if he scores a point, he’s locked in defensively and Barnes recently stated the only guy on the team capable of guarding 1-5.

PG- Bone 30/Turner 10
SG- Bowden 25/Turner 15
SF- Admiral 20/Pons 15
PF- Grant 20/Admiral 10/Fulk 10
C- Alexander 20/Grant 10/Walker 10

Walker could take Fulk’s minutes for more Pons at 3/Admiral 4 if Pons improves like we think. I doubt anyone truly averages 30 mph except Bone

PG- Bone 30/Turner 10
SG- Bowden 25/Turner 15
SF- Admiral 20/Pons 15

Walker could take Fulk’s minutes for more Pons at 3/Admiral 4 if Pons improves like we think. I doubt anyone truly averages 30 mph except Bone

Bone is indeed the fastest on the team.

PG- Bone 30/Turner 10
SG- Bowden 25/Turner 15
SF- Admiral 20/Pons 15

A lot will have depend on how many games are blowouts, if looking at just tougher games I think more guys will. In conference play last year Schofield and Williams were both 30mpg guys.

A lot will have depend on how many games are blowouts, if looking at just tougher games I think more guys will. In conference play last year Schofield and Williams were both 30mpg guys.

And foul trouble. Seemed like Williams had a spell with it last year

If I recall stokes had the same problem. Don’t know if refs just don’t know how to call them, or If they legit just hate UT lol

It’s an all basketball thing. I remember Jayvaughn Pinkston from Nova had the same problems a few years ago and it drove Nova fans crazy

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
I’m not even about to work the math, but here’s my *expected *rotation

Bone/turner
Bowden/turner/
Schofield/pons/Johnson
Williams/walker/fulk-Burns
Alexander/grant/ walker

VN Store

Back