Open practices for basketball

Tigerlily6200

Please forgive my stupidity; I am a middle school basketball coach in NC, but I grew up watching Pat Summit and the Lady Vols. What I'd like to do is take my team to Knoxville see the campus and perhaps sit in on an open practice. Do they do things like this anymore? I vaguely remember going to this in high school. I can't think of any women's team with the history of Pat Summit, that I'd want my girls to want to grow up to be. Thoughts?

Please forgive my stupidity; I am a middle school basketball coach in NC, but I grew up watching Pat Summit and the Lady Vols. What I'd like to do is take my team to Knoxville see the campus and perhaps sit in on an open practice. Do they do things like this anymore? I vaguely remember going to this in high school. I can't think of any women's team with the history of Pat Summit, that I'd want my girls to want to grow up to be. Thoughts?

In before @T_Vol376 ... SummitT😂😂.

They stopped open practices several years ago - unless Kellie et al change things. I would say call LV office and ask if they can accommodate your team. They might be willing for a middle school team.

In before @T_Vol376 ... SummitT😂😂.

They stopped open practices several years ago - unless Kellie et al change things. I would say call LV office and ask if they can accommodate your team. They might be willing for a middle school team.
I agree and would hope Kelli would do this and not be paranoid doing it. We need all the support we can get!

Okay awesome. I will give them a call. I really hope she'd do this too. Middle school is such a cool time for young athletes. I took them to the ACC tournament championship game this year because it was held near us and their big eyes watching those college girls play. It was like Christmas. I grew up thinking the same thing about Pat Summitt and UT basketball. In fact, to get to the second day of tryouts they I give them a note card and tell them to find out who Pat Summitt is and why she is important to women's basketball. Then they have to find their favorite quote by her. lol If they never remember another thing about middle school basketball, I hope they remember that.

Okay awesome. I will give them a call. I really hope she'd do this too. Middle school is such a cool time for young athletes. I took them to the ACC tournament championship game this year because it was held near us and their big eyes watching those college girls play. It was like Christmas. I grew up thinking the same thing about Pat Summitt and UT basketball. In fact, to get to the second day of tryouts they I give them a note card and tell them to find out who Pat Summitt is and why she is important to women's basketball. Then they have to find their favorite quote by her. lol If they never remember another thing about middle school basketball, I hope they remember that.
It was kinda like Christmas for me the year I went to see the ACC Tournament until Grinch 1558351118214.jpeg(Dean Smith) put on the 4 Corner Stall for the Whole Game...Ugh!

Reactions: RollerVol
I agree and would hope Kelli would do this and not be paranoid doing it. We need all the support we can get!
Coaches are paranoid now because everything is instantly posted on the internet via video, pictures etc. In this day and age do you think Pat Summitt would make it if she were caught on video yelling and cussing ( not at a player but in general )? I'm here to tell you she wouldn't, she would be considered a coach who verbally and mentally abused players even though she didn't. Coaches dont want media or anyone else with a cell phone they dont trust at their practices.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Coaches are paranoid now because everything is instantly posted on the internet via video, pictures etc. In this day and age do you think Pat Summitt would make it if she were caught on video yelling and cussing ( not at a player but in general )? I'm here to tell you she wouldn't, she would be considered a coach who verbally and mentally abused players even though she didn't. Coaches dont want media or anyone else with a cell phone they dont trust at their practices.

I'm sure Pat would yell, but she stated often in her books that she seldom used curse words when dealing with her players. Not many top coaches in collegiate sports could say that!

To me Pat never had to use the cuss words to get her point across.....Firm talking yes.....But that stare would send chills down my spine when I saw her direct it at a playing going down the court.

Reactions: stllvf
I'm sure Pat would yell, but she stated often in her books that she seldom used curse words when dealing with her players. Not many top coaches in collegiate sports could say that!

Some coaches revel in their ability to "inspire" players by constantly demonstrating their impressive array of expletives.

If a few top recruits walked out on those coaches, they'd quickly learn to curb their most juvenile tendencies.

Reactions: stllvf

VN Store

Back