Open practice, Saturday 4/10?

Heard its being proposed on a local
Radio broadcast today:
open practice (total number unknown) believed to be about 5 thousand people on Saturday.
Entry through gate 21, practice from 10-12, gates open at 9:15, parking G-10, face covers required lower bowl will be open

This is why To’o To’o didn’t join Spring practices. Saban found out we were doing open practices so he doesn’t need HT to steal our play calls.

Reactions: allen phillips
Open practice at 10am, gate 21 opens at 9:15, masks required to enter or move around the stadium, social distancing in lower bowl.

Just In: Tennessee to Hold Open Practice on Saturday Morning

The BEST thing about this, as is stated in the article, is that recruits interested in UT that want to see how the Heupel staff coaches and interacts with players can do so as long as the recruits don’t interact with the staff. Also great public relations and ticket selling move for the fans looking ahead to post Covid vaccinated crowds filling Neyland, hopefully, again.

There is a 70 percent chance of rain on Saturday according to wbir.com so it could be moved indoors.

Per Patrick Brown of 247:

First team OL: Davis, Carvin, Mays, Lampley and Mays.
Wright, Calbert and Spraggins with the twos.

Other interesting tidbits from Mr. Brown:

Morven Joseph and Solon Page the first-team linebackers

punt returners earlier were Calloway, Holiday and Hyatt

Team offense just did around 7-8 snaps in one minute, 40 seconds. Working against air, and there was some confusion between a couple snaps, but that’s an idea of the pace. Snap the ball, run the play, run to the ball, get the signs from the sideline, snap it again.

Looks like there is about 800 fans there. Lol
I know what they said. I know the gates were open to all fans.

OTOH, it does not seem to have been very well promoted. I'm pretty sure there are several thousand fans who could have made it who are curious enough to go.

IMHO, this was a clever way to get a few recruits on campus and allow them to watch practice.

Other interesting tidbits from Mr. Brown:

Morven Joseph and Solon Page the first-team linebackers

punt returners earlier were Calloway, Holiday and Hyatt

Team offense just did around 7-8 snaps in one minute, 40 seconds. Working against air, and there was some confusion between a couple snaps, but that’s an idea of the pace. Snap the ball, run the play, run to the ball, get the signs from the sideline, snap it again.

That's about 12, 13 seconds for snap and play to next snap on average. Not bad.

Good to see Joseph snagging a start spot early on. If Banks can comeback strong then that gives us some talent to work with.

If that Pittsburgh game is 6pm or later I’ll bet a lot of money we’ll be close to 100K. We are thirsting for something to buy into.
It will be an evening game yes.. And probably 90,000. Will not have any problems buying tickets thru UT. Lower level too.

That's about 12, 13 seconds for snap and play to next snap on average. Not bad.

Good to see Joseph snagging a start spot early on. If Banks can comeback strong then that gives us some talent to work with.

Agreed...when you consider that we will only be utilizing two true LBs at a time most of the time the depth at those positions doesn’t look too bad:

LB1: Joseph-French-Harrison
LB2: Banks-Page-Willis

I know French and Willis are suspended but unless something else comes out I don’t see them getting booted...Beasley is harder to say but that’s another possibility for “LB2”...and if Whitehead doesn’t make noise soon at RB it might be wise for him to move given us another option at “LB1”

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I know what they said. I know the gates were open to all fans.

OTOH, it does not seem to have been very well promoted. I'm pretty sure there are several thousand fans who could have made it who are curious enough to go.

IMHO, this was a clever way to get a few recruits on campus and allow them to watch practice.
The potential weather was a factor. Forecast earlier in the week called for heavy rain. As that changed, Heupel announced it as an open practice.

VN Store

Back