Only 8 FBS teams in the country...

There is nothing that says a team will get better as the year goes along. Look at UT last year.

If you’re trying to compare UTs improvement over the year to Memphis’, good luck.
Memphis didn’t even have to play the 2nd toughest game in their conference schedule. Your raw talent level has a ceiling. UT’s is significantly higher. Memphis would NOT beat UT by two or three touchdowns and I think UT would win.

Opinions vary. That's what's fun about all this.. and as for whom would beat whom, we'll never know.

For the record, I'm a Vol fan that went to Memphis State. It happens. Having said that, I'm not blind to facts and reality. Just because I'm a Vol fan doesn't mean I drink orange koolaid. You enjoy it.
Hahahahaha hahahahaha

247 bowl projection has Memphis playing Florida. Let's see what happens to that Memphis offense when they play a good defense and vice versa how does Memphis begin to stop the Florida offense?
My guess would be Florida wins by 21+

How well we would have done, or not this year, would have a lot to do with when we played Memphis. I doubt even an idiot would argue that Memphis is not a better team than GaS. If we'd have played Memphis in lieu of GaS, we would have lost that game. Memphis may not be a "power-house" when playing top SEC teams, but the difference between the top SEC teams and the bottom SEC teams is Huge-I'd love to see us play Memphis in our Bowl, 100% of all the $$$ stays in Tennessee, 100% of all the publicity stays in Tennessee, one of the schools may pick-up some quality recruits because of it etc. No down side to an all TN Bowl Game. I'll add, IMHO, attendance would be fantastic-sell out possible.

All good points.. but you can't just view the Vols as "post-September". The fact is that Memphis IS more consistent than the Vols have been this year. I will be the first one to say that I think it will change and change soon. But current facts don't lie. AND a few of those games you mentioned were bowl games and conference championship games.... games that the Vols haven't seen in recent years.

CB4, we _can_ view the Vols as "post-September," because the question is, who is the best team in the state of Tennessee right now? Who would beat who? If we met in a bowl game, who would win?

So it's all about the identities of both teams today. The here-and-now.

Most of your counter was about who Memphis and Tennessee have been in the past, which isn't really relevant to the current question.

We'd whup 'em. Positive of that. Not even that close. No closer than the game against Vandy was.

Go Vols!

How well we would have done, or not this year, would have a lot to do with when we played Memphis. I doubt even an idiot would argue that Memphis is not a better team than GaS. If we'd have played Memphis in lieu of GaS, we would have lost that game. Memphis may not be a "power-house" when playing top SEC teams, but the difference between the top SEC teams and the bottom SEC teams is Huge-I'd love to see us play Memphis in our Bowl, 100% of all the $$$ stays in Tennessee, 100% of all the publicity stays in Tennessee, one of the schools may pick-up some quality recruits because of it etc. No down side to an all TN Bowl Game. I'll add, IMHO, attendance would be fantastic-sell out possible.
If Memphis was your first game the approach would have been 180 different. With their recent success all eyes are like have been focused. Ga State was the worst opponent because they turned out to be a decent team that Pruitt didn’t take seriously at all.

If Memphis was your first game the approach would have been 180 different. With their recent success all eyes are like have been focused. Ga State was the worst opponent because they turned out to be a decent team that Pruitt didn’t take seriously at all.
This makes sense, unless you are also saying, BYU was the same, after Pruitt didn't take GaS seriously, he decided not to take BYU seriously just to be consistent? I believe the team was in disarray at the start of the season, and no matter who we played, including GaS, would- and did beat us, fair and square, then BYU did the same thing. Nonetheless, it would be very difficult for even a great BS artist to convince me that Memphis isn't better than GaS, now, and was at the start of the season.

Reactions: FïreBall
You seem to have forgotten Navy, Cincinnati, and SMU. They have ALL been ranked in the Top 25 this year. Get your facts together before you reply next time.

Those are some juggernauts you got there. The AAC schedule is brutal.

I think that Clemson is actually on a 27 game win streak after beating South Carolina yesterday, not that it really matters, but just for the sake of accuracy.

They’d beat Tennessee by 3 touchdowns if we played them today. Hate to say it, but it’s true.
Don't say the word Defense around them because they have zero clue what that is...they don't own one nor have they seen one...not to be disagreeable but I would LOVE to see our defense play them...

Let's don't make more of Memphis than they are.

Yes, they know how to win games. Yes, they are currently on a hot streak.

But in context: here are their toughest games this season: Ole Miss...Navy...SMU...Cincinnati...Temple (they lost that one).

If the post-September Vols had played that slate, we'd easily have won all those games.

Memphis is not being challenged with games like Georgia, Florida and Alabama. They're not even being challenged with games like Mississippi State, Kentucky and Mizzou. As others have pointed out, they're playing mostly mid-majors and (mostly) beating them.

BTW, they aren't that consistent. Last year they lost to all these teams: Navy...Tulane...UCF...Mizzou...UCF (again)...and Wake Forest. The year before, they lost to UCF (twice) and Iowa State.

Memphis are a good team. They're not an SEC-caliber team. And lately, we've been beating several SEC-caliber teams, even if not the top end (yet).

We'd whup the Tigers. I'd love to see them as a bowl opponent, just to prove that.

Go Vols!
And that Mizzou beatdown last year was strong...IIRC Mizzou hung almost 70 pts on them? And had the Plumlee kid had played for Ole Miss this year....the rebels would have hung 1/2 of hundred on them....

We haven’t beaten anybody with a pulse
I can remember when we lost to those teams without a pulse. They were on the schedule. Last time I checked we have to play the teams on our schedule. We can either win them, or lose them, no matter how good or bad we are or they are.

Did some of you just start following football this year? Horry chit!!

CB4, we _can_ view the Vols as "post-September," because the question is, who is the best team in the state of Tennessee right now? Who would beat who? If we met in a bowl game, who would win?

So it's all about the identities of both teams today. The here-and-now.

Most of your counter was about who Memphis and Tennessee have been in the past, which isn't really relevant to the current question.

We'd whup 'em. Positive of that. Not even that close. No closer than the game against Vandy was.

Go Vols!
Who all did UT beat (in the 5 in-a-row), and which of those teams were considered 'good' at the time?

VN Store

Back