One year ago today…

I’ll admit, I didn’t watch the game, saw the HR on the news. But for the next couple hours I tried consuming every detail of that magical moment. Haven’t missed a game since.

I was complaining most of the game. “Ridiculous that we have to play a team this good with such a high seed…this great season and now we’re gonna lose in the Regionals…blah blah…” I don’t know why…I’m usually pretty optimistic, but I was gloom and doom that night. My wife kept lecturing me, saying, “it’s not over…you don’t know what’s gonna happen…” She was saying the stuff I normally say and think. But I felt like UT had been screwed having to play Wright and it was gonna cost us the Regional.

As soon as Drew hit the ball, she jumped up and yelled, “I told you! I told you!” I just sat there, stunned, and said, “Ho-lee sh!t….he did it. He actually did it…” Then she said, “why aren’t you more excited?!” Thing is, I was excited. But I was also stunned. It took me a minute to really believe it.

I’ll never forget that moment.

I was complaining most of the game. “Ridiculous that we have to play a team this good with such a high seed…this great season and now we’re gonna lose in the Regionals…blah blah…” I don’t know why…I’m usually pretty optimistic, but I was gloom and doom that night. My wife kept lecturing me, saying, “it’s not over…you don’t know what’s gonna happen…” She was saying the stuff I normally say and think. But I felt like UT had been screwed having to play Wright and it was gonna cost us the Regional.

As soon as Drew hit the ball, she jumped up and yelled, “I told you! I told you!” I just sat there, stunned, and said, “Ho-lee sh!t….he did it. He actually did it…” Then she said, “why aren’t you more excited?!” Thing is, I was excited. But I was also stunned. It took me a minute to really believe it.

Great post.
It would be nice if everyone wrote something like this, where you were, what you were feeling etc..

Listening to JW call it was surreal. One of my most favorite moments of all time as a fan

“High fly, deep right…” Chills.

I’ll never forget I was so mad watching that game, so I went to get my then-pregnant wife and myself some Chick-Fil-A for dinner and turned the radio on on the way back in time to hear that we had a couple of men on base, then the bases were loaded. I gunned it home and turned it on in time to see the grand slam and my neighbors probably thought I was a man possessed. Eventually went back to the car to get dinner.

There was only one out so I bet you the most relieved guy in the whole ballpark is whoever that is standing in the next batters box.

0670B329-4DC2-44BE-B712-5392042819F1.jpeg

Reactions: VolDave53

I felt the same way when Dobbs threw that Hail Mary.....took me a second to process what happened.

I’ll admit, I didn’t watch the game, saw the HR on the news. But for the next couple hours I tried consuming every detail of that magical moment. Haven’t missed a game since.
This was me. I actually missed I went out with friends that night. Had a few too many, woke up the next morning to at least a dozen texts asking if I saw it.

I've been at some big time moments in history, 98 Florida win, 98 Arkansas game, UT vs Memphis basketball to be #1, Manning to Kent first play at Alabama 97. This ranks up there with any of them. It was electric. Go Vols.

VN Store

Back