One-time Transfer Waiver could be good for LVs

Stupid rule!
I agree. And to whoever said that it's good for the LVs, I don't see how. The schools that will benefit are the ones that are strong NC contenders, which will attract players that were in Evina's situation last year where she could theoretically walk over to a juggernaut that has a starting role just waiting for her.

I do wonder how this works for transfers that are rising seniors, they would run out of eligibility before they get their degree.

A good chance to retool? Or do you think we lose more than we gain?

Tennessee has to make themselves into an attractive destination. They won't start to win more recruitment battles until they win more games, and my guess is the same is true for attracting transfers. If anything, it might hurt them if they don't start winning fast or often enough, and high profile recruits decide they want to play for a NC contender.

Tennessee has to make themselves into an attractive destination. They won't start to win more recruitment battles until they win more games, and my guess is the same is true for attracting transfers. If anything, it might hurt them if they don't start winning fast or often enough, and high profile recruits decide they want to play for a NC contender.

Good post friend.....The LVs have to get back to winning and hopefully this will come in due time.....

We are a hungry fan base that watched this program hang onto the past to long....The crowds at the arena kept getting smaller and smaller....

My late bride, even before the damned cancer had taken away her loco motion, stopped wanting to go to the games because it was just to pitiful to watch in person.....She was good friends with Holly, (she worked for UT) but never felt she was head coach material....She said she was "too damn nice"....And she was too.

I'm wanting to see Kellie crack the proverbial whip some, when next season her charges keep turning over the ball with such great regularity.......This rule of transferring once, just for the hell of it, will make that harder....

We are all in this together, and some day I hope we all can celebrate together again...I'll be sure and tell my bride we're good again...Lady Vols forever!

Not really good or bad for anyone. If you make a mistake on a school the first time or they told you things that turned out not to be true. You have one shot at getting it right the second time won't be a third. I don't really dislike the rule recruiters will have to be more honest than they are now. Some promise a lot of playing time and then you find yourself way down the bench. I know Tennessee doesn't guarantee anything, but some schools do. This rule in place you get one chance at correcting without sitting out I really don't have a problem with that.

So true.

It’s a tough situation to be in.

You need top transfers to come, top recruits to come, and to get t hem you have to win more games, but how do you win more games without top recruits and transfers?

Coach Harper has her work cut out for her.

Reactions: Chippo and Amb3096
My perspective is that this should happen for the players. They should not be punished for a decision they made as a 17yo. Sometimes it’s just not a good fit and they should be able to play and finish school on the same timeline. Not the best for the schools as it will likely mean more transfers, but there are a ton anyway as is.

That being said, I do think there should be specific qualifications. Player should have no disciplinary issues, no academic issues etc.

If the player was the problem they should not be rewarded for it.

I think the repercussions would be that the rich will continue to get richer, and the rest will be struggling to be competitive.

To be honest, we benefitted for many years from Top Dog status and didn't have to break a sweat to recruit the best athletes. To Pat's credit, she was unique in keeping us in the top echelon longer than anyone until UCONN began their ascent in the nineties. Look at the top teams of the 1980's, and most of those programs have either faded into mediocrity or even obscurity.

So true.

It’s a tough situation to be in.

You need top transfers to come, top recruits to come, and to get t hem you have to win more games, but how do you win more games without top recruits and transfers?

Coach Harper has her work cut out for her.

Kellie has to do what Vic did at MSST, which is do more with less. Once he started winning with 3-stars, it got the attention of the 5-stars. Kellie needs to do the same, and the recruits will come. A nucleus of Horston, Davis, Burrell and Key is a strong core. She needs to make some things happen this coming season. It's not enough to just lose to the ranked teams and beat the creampuffs. She needs to start collecting some scalps this year. She has one more year to ride Davis.

I think the repercussions would be that the rich will continue to get richer, and the rest will be struggling to be competitive.

To be honest, we benefitted for many years from Top Dog status and didn't have to break a sweat to recruit the best athletes. To Pat's credit, she was unique in keeping us in the top echelon longer than anyone until UCONN began their ascent in the nineties. Look at the top teams of the 1980's, and most of those programs have either faded into mediocrity or even obscurity.

I've watched a number of rerun games the last few weeks, and it is obvious, what was, is no more....In many cases, the coach that was successful has retired, or moved on with their winning ways....The next coach seems to never have the moxie of the past winning coach..

It is a curse that awaits all winning programs, and their fan bases always feel they will be the exception and they will keep winning till the cows come home....Not hardly...

Don't think we will ever be as great as before, but hope we can be great one more time.

Reactions: Amb3096
I've watched a number of rerun games the last few weeks, and it is obvious, what was, is no more....In many cases, the coach that was successful has retired, or moved on with their winning ways....The next coach seems to never have the moxie of the past winning coach..

It is a curse that awaits all winning programs, and their fan bases always feel they will be the exception and they will keep winning till the cows come home....Not hardly...

Don't think we will ever be as great as before, but hope we can be great one more time.

IMO Tennessee' situation is a bit different because Kellie is separated from Pat's era by the Holly Warlick era...which all but torpedoed the relevance out of Tennessee's program despite the strong recruiting. Holly was able to still recruit at an elite level, but did nothing with that talent ever since Pat's last class graduated. The current HS seniors were barely in 1st grade the last time Tennessee was in the final four, so a lot of time has passed, and Tennessee hasn't done enough to remain in the picture. The only way out of this is by winning, and Kellie will need to be able to do that with a less talented squad than the top teams. That's a big ask for her, and the bottom line is she just needs to get it done.

I agree. And to whoever said that it's good for the LVs, I don't see how. The schools that will benefit are the ones that are strong NC contenders, which will attract players that were in Evina's situation last year where she could theoretically walk over to a juggernaut that has a starting role just waiting for her.

I do wonder how this works for transfers that are rising seniors, they would run out of eligibility before they get their degree.

I agree completely. This will benefit the elite teams, both men and women, which sadly the Lady Vols are not. I see this mirroring NBA free agency with coaches and players trying to form "super teams"...

“The working group also proposed changing the waiver criteria to allow approvals for first-time four-year transfers in all sports to compete immediately if they:
1) Receive a transfer release from their previous school,
2) Leave their previous school academically eligible,
3) Maintain their academic progress at the new school, AND
4) Leave under no disciplinary suspension.
Steinbrecher also said that a waiver process will remain in place for student-athletes who have already transferred or do not qualify for the one-time waiver guidelines.”

No Decision Made Yet on NCAA's One-Time Transfer Waiver - Stadium

Keep your promise to the athletes and be a competent coach.

Can't believe I was forced to like a CJ post, but I totally agree. This rule would most likely be the end of any parity the women's game has struggled so mightily to build. Remember when people grumbled in the late 90s early 2000s that the LVs and UConn were bad for the game bc they were so much better than everyone else? We would probably be headed back there, maybe with 3 or 4 super teams, loaded with one and dones from lesser teams who had really promising frosh years.

I also agree it would really present a huge challenge for KJH and Amb is right on, only really good coaches who can do more with less will have any chance of major success. For us, in our current situation of trying to once again be a destination program, the rule could, and probably would, be a disaster.

All that said, it does seem fair for the kids to get to do what coaches have been doing forever, minus the money.

Winning and Losing is a nasty problem to have...Winning usually takes care of the needed recruits, the problem is you have to continue to win or the recruits dry up. Losing is ever nastier as you can imagine... you don't get the recruits you need and therefore the losing continues.

How the heck did ole miss get Shakira Austin 🤦🏽‍♀️ Like they need too step up the recruiting. Cause really could’ve used Robyn from Auburn.... and kyra lambert a strong pg is now in Texas .

How the heck did ole miss get Shakira Austin 🤦🏽‍♀️ Like they need too step up the recruiting. Cause really could’ve used Robyn from Auburn.... and kyra lambert a strong pg is now in Texas .

Assistant coach from Maryland is now at Ole Miss. She followed her coach. Not much we can do to compete with that.

Kyra is from Cibolo, TX only about an hour from Austin. I’m sure that played a large part in her decision.

Robyn would have been a nice player but there are still plenty of players available as good or better than she.

VN Store

Back