One of the great Tennessee RB performances - Travis Stephens '01 Florida

The game that made the Old Back Sack quit the first time....a personal favorite. Because, once you start quitting, ya can't stop.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Stephens carried Tennessee for much of that game. I remember Gary Danielson talking about how it was a shame most media had already voted for end of year awards because Stephens had earned some votes that night. Hell, Stephens ran so hard he chased Steve Spurrier straight into quitting the Gators; yanked the heart right out of him and I don't know if Spurrier ever really got it back. I think Steve got run over so hard he just decided to play golf and occasionally call plays after that.

Also, not going to lie, seeing Eric Gray's name on that list is awesome. Haven't seen a lot of record setting efforts, well, save Derek Barnett setting the sack record, maybe a few other individual game efforts, but anyway it's been a long time since we've seen such a monumental effort running the ball. I don't know when we'll see Gray rushing the ball next, but I look forward to seeing it a lot.

UF led at halftime 20-14.

Funny how memory can play tricks on you. Before watching those highlights, I had it in my head that we jumped out on them and basically dominated until they rallied in the second half. I can even remember thinking, dang, now people are going to think this was a close game! As if we had been in command the whole time...maybe TS's performance was simply so dominant that it erased the nail biting factor for me.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Funny how memory can play tricks on you. Before watching those highlights, I had it in my head that we jumped out on them and basically dominated until they rallied in the second half. I can even remember thinking, dang, now people are going to think this was a close game! As if we had been in command the whole time...maybe TS's performance was simply so dominant that it erased the nail biting factor for me.
UF actually led 23-21 going into the 4th. That's when UT went nuts! Had they kicked the PAT after the 1st TD in the 4th the 2 point conversion wouldn't have mattered.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

Jason Witten has a horrendous 1st half in this game.. multiple dropped passes and fumble.
And as already mentioned, we would have benefited greatly from instant replay. Our D kept gobbling the ball, but the refs ruled their guy down.

My favorite games are the ones where we beat Florida. This one and the one where Wilhoitt kicked the 50 yard field goal for the win are my favorites! Loved Casey Clausen, bought his jersey, and named my dog after him. 😀

Last edited:
Then Spurrier quit USCe when he was afraid Butch Jones was going to make him his bi-ch...

When the going gets tough... Quit!!
- Steve Spurrier

Never understood why the sports media gave Spurrier a pass for quitting mid season at USC. He just ducked a beating from the Vols, Gators, and Clemson by bailing on his team. Real nice example for your players there, Coach.

Travis Henry on the final drive against Arky (98) was a beast as well...

Henry was unstoppable that whole game. And then after the fumble by Clint, that Arkansas defense had the weight of the world on their shoulders.

People forget, that game broke Arkansas season. Had they won they would have been top 5 team ( ranked 10 att) and possibly a SEC Championship and National Title Game.

I know Travis and used to work with him. Great guy and Trust me when I tell you that he is ALL VOL !
A TRUE VFL!!
And a huge fan as well.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Typically I don’t put down a W or L to one player in a football game but this game was different. If not for Stephens we would have gotten run out of the building. Clausen was terrible in that game.

Travis ran like a man possesed that day. One of my greatest memories

Last edited:
Am I the only one that watches these old games and thinks we used have so much more football talent?

We probably had 25-30 NFL guys on that team. Stallworth, Kelly Washington, and Witten as receivers...get outta here.

Nineteen years later, that is one of those games where I remember where I watched it.

I was a member of that Clarksville Northeast team Travis played on in 95, arguably the best team in the state that year. That team was loaded with talent. He was a great teammate and exceedingly humble.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers

VN Store

Back