OL Behemoths

Published roster individuals have always bee wrong...take Doug Atkins for example. He was listed as 6'2" and 215 lbs. Actually, he was 6'8" and 265 lbs.
Atkins was huge when he came to Tennessee as a basketball player. Neyland saw him in the gym one day and all of a sudden, he was on a football scholarship. The rest is history. They had a picture of Bobby Bringle chinning himself on Atkin’s outstretched arm.

One day I was in the really old weight room which was a one room , maybe 30 by 30 room in the old Memorial gym. it had one bench press station and was all they had back in the 1950s. Dough Atkins and Jack Stroud walked into the room and they looked like they took up the entire space. Two of the largest men I have ever seen. Remember this wad almost over 60 years ago.

For snicks and giggles they used to list Atkins in the NFL at 265. He had to been way over that.

Talent was not the issue last year, it was completely coaching. For most of Butch's tenure, it was mostly having no talent at OL. How many of those guys from the 14-16 teams even signed a contract, let alone made a team? 2017 it was lack of talent and coaching.

Either way, we have a decent amount of talent there, probably not optimal, but if they actually get coached well, then hopefully they can be solid.

UGA guard, Ben Cleveland, was listed at 6'-6", 330#. When the Ravens signed him this year, he was 354# with no fat. I think they use the measurements when a player enrolls, and never update it.

Great. Here's a cookie.

VN Store

Back