'24 OK EDGE Danny Okoye (OK commit)

“It was cool, it was cool,” Okoye said of the experience. “We walked around and went to the basketball game. Had a nice little photoshoot. The coaches were very informative and told me everything I needed to know. I really appreciate that. They gave me a lot of information I am going to use to make my decision later on in the year.” Okoye admitted when Tennessee defeated Alabama that, it caught his attention and made him more interested in the Vols. “It was a very nice experience,” Okoye said. “It was a nice first trip checking in with them. I have always kept my eye on them, so meeting all of the coaching staff and seeing how receptive they are, and how much love the city brings out for their sports was really eye-opening.”
“They have been recruiting me pretty hard, but I was like, ya know, they are probably going to be in my top five, top six, so I might as well just go see everything to it.” Special Teams Coordinator and Outside Linebackers Coach Mike Ekeler has been leading the recruiting charge for Tennessee. The two have already connected well. “It was cool,” Okoye said of the time spent with Ekeler. “He was always giving me high fives extremely hard, but I like that about him. I like how everybody is being one hundred, and there is nothing fake about it here.” “I am definitely coming back to visit at some point,” Okoye said. “Either a game day visit this fall or this summer on an official, I will definitely be back up here.
“They say they are trying to have me at an outside linebacker,” Okoye said of this. “So sometimes dropping into coverage, while also in a 4-3, pass rushing, and 3-4 being able to drop back and cover tight ends and wide receivers. Being a more versatile athlete and player and fitting into their scheme in more than way.” “I like how the dorms are right next to the training facility, the training facility is right next to the practice field, and the practice field is right next to the sports medicine offense. Everything is centralized. I can appreciate that and how excited the staff is to play football and do everything they do on a day-to-day basis. I like the passion they have for that. I like that it is a family.”
-VQ

Danny Okoye took multiple trips during the month of January, but we believe the Vols have made a lasting impression with him. This one has a ways to go as new teams seem to enter by the day, but he has connected well with Mike Ekeler early. Is he really open to leaving the mid-West? We will see. But he did drive across the country by himself to take a deeper look at Tennessee in January, and he has continued feel like Tennessee has made him a priority. - On3

VN Store

Back