Offseason Thread: Worst SECCG Participants

Back to back 2013 & 2014 Mizzou teams never had any business and still don't by the way in the SECCGs IMO. The SEC East was so poorly managed they somehow skulked in and were thrashed.

Not to be that guy but 07 Tennessee could be on the list for one of the worst teams to make it.

Got a few lucky breaks that season.

Not to be that guy but 07 Tennessee could be on the list for one of the worst teams to make it.

Yeah, but we did give LSU (the national champ) a good game in Atlanta. Also, unlike most of the "worst" teams on this thread, Tennessee did have a victory over a team that finished ranked in the top 3 that year (Georgia).

Even in the format of the time, Tennessee and Ohio State should have been playing in better bowl games than the Citrus. They were both 10-1. Notre Dame at 9-2 and an earlier blowout loss to Ohio State got the nod to the Orange Bowl and that was wrong. Damn, I hated Notre Dame back then.

Back then?

Although, I think the rest of your post is spot on.

I think that team along with the ‘04 team were 2 of Phil’s best coaching jobs. Coach Cut didn’t hurt either in ‘07. That might’ve been the least talented group of receivers we’ve ever had and we put together a thousand yard receiver . Cut is an offensive genius.

I think that team along with the ‘04 team were 2 of Phil’s best coaching jobs. Coach Cut didn’t hurt either in ‘07. That might’ve been the least talented group of receivers we’ve ever had and we put together a thousand yard receiver . Cut is an offensive genius.
How different is the history of Tennessee football if Cut got the job after Kiffin instead of Dooley? He would have needed recruiting/defensive help, but my Lord he would have been better than DD...and he actually wanted the job.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
How different is the history of Tennessee football if Cut got the job after Kiffin instead of Dooley? He would have needed recruiting/defensive help, but my Lord he would have been better than DD...and he actually wanted the job.

The rest of the SEC is thankful Cut didn’t take the job post-Fulmer.

I agree but Tennessee should have been in the Orange Bowl (instead of Notre Dame) playing Florida State. We had a better record and were also ranked higher in both polls and clearly the better team. Ohio State had beaten ND 45-26 earlier in that season. ND also had a home loss to Northwestern.

Agree but no way was the OB going to pass on ND. Still a helluva matchup with OSU in the Citrus!

All teams from the SEC E from 13-16 should be considered in the worst category. Thank goodness UT didn't win it in 15 or 16 otherwise Butch would have a street, a statue, and a building named after him to mark such and accomplishment.

I was at the Bill Duff game, but lucked out and got comped tickets in what would now be considered an extremely antiquated “club” section. But I was out of the monsoon.

And consider yourself lucky if you successfully walked from the Citrus Bowl to the Marriott near the old arena. I wouldn’t recommend doing that under any circumstances.

Bake my noodle for me, what if we had kept Kippy as HC rather than leaving him as interim and booted out the door?

Bake my noodle for me, what if we had kept Kippy as HC rather than leaving him as interim and booted out the door?
Ohio State did that and I’d say it worked out pretty well for them. I hate Ohio State.

VN Store

Back