Officially excited about this team post Schwartz's positional breakdown

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH
I know, I know, coach speak and all, but it sure seems like we have a lot of guys capable of playing multiple positions that could create matchup problems on both ends of the floor. We do not seem to have world class back to the basket 5's littering the bench, but the number of guys with speed and dedication to defense that also possess serious offensive skill sets excites me. Seems he thinks we got serious range guys to put on the floor. We can put some groups out there that can put teams with more classic construction in a hole in transition with our speed. Key may well be how well our wings can bang the boards and start the other way. We may be a bit heavy on guys who CAN play the 1, but can fill it up at 2 and even 3 with both range and slashing skills. MOST seem to have the work ethic that Barnes requires to get on the floor. Lots of pieces to mix and match situationally.

Can't believe Barnes would turn this guy loose in public if confidence was not very high for this squad. Key games will likely hinge on whether we can make teams with bigger post presence keep some of them on the bench to deal with our overall speed. We won't have to go SMALL, but will need to go MEDIUM 2-4 while still being able to salt in some bigger guys defensively in the post when needed. Then we may only be faster at 1-4. We will miss Pons eraser skills and don't know if we have anybody that can get and stay on the floor to get even close.

My personal opinion is that we could not take advantage of our speed 3-5 with the ball coming down the court a little slow, but we have two guys now that can get us in flow on our end much faster and seem to have the vision and distribution skills once they get there and our bigs can get rewarded at the end of their sprints down the floor more consistently. IF IF IF the three ball is REALLY there with our wing types, led by Santi, Powell, and Bailey who no longer have to bring the ball down but can spot up, life will be good. We have some young slashers to mix in as well that can benefit from some lanes in transition too.

Maybe I have sucked in too much ORANGE Kool aid but I am enjoying it right now. I am reading between the lines on our HC's face. If we can defend their 4 and 5 positions in the half court with this squad it should be a good to great year and for sure fun to watch.

He did not have TRUE point guards to tout last year and that impacted us on both ends of the floor, maybe more so on the defensive end.
I agree, but he sure spoke like he did…my point being while these are fun to read you can’t really learn much. It’s a best case scenario out look for each player and never really mentions anything that could be an issue or a negative. When you get done reading these you’re ready to buy your F4 tickets and assume this team is going 31-0.

Reactions: zaqhhh
I agree, but he sure spoke like he did…my point being while these are fun to read you can’t really learn much. It’s a best case scenario out look for each player and never really mentions anything that could be an issue or a negative. When you get done reading these you’re ready to buy your F4 tickets and assume this team is going 31-0.

We of course had the the two pending one and dones and the defensive player of the year to get excited about but after watching last year the memory that hung with me was being pressured and guys throwing the ball back and forth just short of mid court and then not getting the offense initiated very well.... I really think those days are over and if we really have multiple guys with the long ball ability to hit in transition it could be a special year.... of course Fulky, ORN and JJJ need to take it to the hole too... Just have special feelings about this year, much more than last year... could be gas I guess....

I wouldn't call an item delineating the specific offensive/defensive skills of each particular player a puff piece.
There's some interesting information there that had not been previously reported.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I wouldn't call an item delineating the specific offensive/defensive skills of each particular player a puff piece.
There's some interesting information there that had not been previously reported.

I am particularly interested in seeing the new and improved Santi..... Both HC and assistant have extolled the improvement in his game. Don't think he can get a lot faster, but can get stronger and quicker which will help him when he is performing at the 1. Hope it translates into more consistent shooting at range, especially as a wing.

I think Vescovi will make a lot money of money playing basketball, probably in Europe or South America. But, it's his 3rd (2 and a half?) year with Barnes and kids that have talent and work ethic, usually show a big jump in production in that 3rd year. Hoping SV goes off, this year.

Reactions: walkenvol
I am particularly interested in seeing the new and improved Santi..... Both HC and assistant have extolled the improvement in his game. Don't think he can get a lot faster, but can get stronger and quicker which will help him when he is performing at the 1. Hope it translates into more consistent shooting at range, especially as a wing.

That first half season he arrived, he was very creative in his passing. Even though he was still a PG the second season, that creative passing seemed to slow down a lot, I guess because defenses started stuffing him when he tried to penetrate. I'm wondering if playing the point position caused him to play less freely while he worried about running the team. I'm hoping he will create more for himself and others when he plays off the ball with his passing skills.

I know, I know, coach speak and all, but it sure seems like we have a lot of guys capable of playing multiple positions that could create matchup problems on both ends of the floor. We do not seem to have world class back to the basket 5's littering the bench, but the number of guys with speed and dedication to defense that also possess serious offensive skill sets excites me. Seems he thinks we got serious range guys to put on the floor. We can put some groups out there that can put teams with more classic construction in a hole in transition with our speed. Key may well be how well our wings can bang the boards and start the other way. We may be a bit heavy on guys who CAN play the 1, but can fill it up at 2 and even 3 with both range and slashing skills. MOST seem to have the work ethic that Barnes requires to get on the floor. Lots of pieces to mix and match situationally.

Can't believe Barnes would turn this guy loose in public if confidence was not very high for this squad. Key games will likely hinge on whether we can make teams with bigger post presence keep some of them on the bench to deal with our overall speed. We won't have to go SMALL, but will need to go MEDIUM 2-4 while still being able to salt in some bigger guys defensively in the post when needed. Then we may only be faster at 1-4. We will miss Pons eraser skills and don't know if we have anybody that can get and stay on the floor to get even close.

My personal opinion is that we could not take advantage of our speed 3-5 with the ball coming down the court a little slow, but we have two guys now that can get us in flow on our end much faster and seem to have the vision and distribution skills once they get there and our bigs can get rewarded at the end of their sprints down the floor more consistently. IF IF IF the three ball is REALLY there with our wing types, led by Santi, Powell, and Bailey who no longer have to bring the ball down but can spot up, life will be good. We have some young slashers to mix in as well that can benefit from some lanes in transition too.

Maybe I have sucked in too much ORANGE Kool aid but I am enjoying it right now. I am reading between the lines on our HC's face. If we can defend their 4 and 5 positions in the half court with this squad it should be a good to great year and for sure fun to watch.
It appears the depth is there to help us through fatigue and injuries this season. I'm especially happy that we have solidified the PG position. We've also got some shooters who all can't go stone cold at the same time I'd think. The only thing I still have a little concern about is in the post. If we can stay healthy, I think this team is built to make some noise in March. We also don't have the expectations going into the season. We can kinda fly under the radar for a bit. I'm liking how this year is shaping up.

It appears the depth is there to help us through fatigue and injuries this season. I'm especially happy that we have solidified the PG position. We've also got some shooters who all can't go stone cold at the same time I'd think. The only thing I still have a little concern about is in the post. If we can stay healthy, I think this team is built to make some noise in March. We also don't have the expectations going into the season. We can kinda fly under the radar for a bit. I'm liking how this year is shaping up.

I wish our young rim protector was healthy so we could go small and add a slasher to the mix. I am intrigued about Barnes saying he could see SV ZZ and KC on the floor at the same time.

He did it a couple games last year. The consistency hasn’t been there but he shot the lights out on occasion. Hopefully he’s able to do it more consistently this year
His biggest issue was recognizing when he was off, and deferring to others. He consistently tried to shoot himself out of a slump to the detriment of his own team.

His biggest issue was recognizing when he was off, and deferring to others. He consistently tried to shoot himself out of a slump to the detriment of his own team.
You’re not wrong, but it’s hard to blame VB when it seems like a generational issue with shooters. And coaches they’ve had deserve more blame than the player. Sorry for the short rant… lol

Yeah. We have a lot more options this year though so hopefully he doesn’t feel as much pressure to carry the scoring burden. I like the idea of him coming off the bench and you leave him in as long as he’s hot.

Also, He took good shots today just wasn’t falling. That’s why I’d like to see a 10-11 man rotation. Let’s see if he’s hot, if not.. and it’s also more for teams to scout. The good guys have talent to spare this year and hope like crazy it’s used to the max
Okay now I’m done. Haha

Last edited:
Also, He took good shots today just wasn’t falling. That’s why I’d like to see a 10-11 man rotation. Let’s see if he’s hot, if not.. and it’s also more for teams to scout. The good guys have talent to spare this year and hope like crazy it’s used to the max
Okay now I’m done. Haha
In theory, this is a great idea and it’s wonderful that we are deep enough to be able to have convos about a 10 man rotation being an option. Unfortunately, history pretty plainly states that 10 man rotations will not make it very deep into the tourney. I’m fine 10-1 guys playing until SEC play starts up, but you gotta hope to have it down to 8 by then.

Reactions: Lefteye
In theory, this is a great idea and it’s wonderful that we are deep enough to be able to have convos about a 10 man rotation being an option. Unfortunately, history pretty plainly states that 10 man rotations will not make it very deep into the tourney. I’m fine 10-1 guys playing until SEC play starts up, but you gotta hope to have it down to 8 by then.
I don’t think I’d have VJ in our top 8 right now. Probably #9 to me after watching today. That said, I have a really hard time thinking he’ll fall out of the rotation. He’s too good for that.

VN Store

Back