Official Thread of the St. Louis Cardinals

I love it! That 80 mph lefty curve after seeing a 96 mph fastball...he's got a changeup and a slider too...just dirty.

I love the thought of the future the rotation with guys like Flaherty, Liberatore, Hudson, Reyes, Martinez, Mikolas, etc.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I had been thinking about going to the HOF ceremonies this year, Ted Simmons is one of my favorite Cardinals. But I guess that isn't happening.

I had been thinking about going to the HOF ceremonies this year, Ted Simmons is one of my favorite Cardinals. But I guess that isn't happening.

loved ted,
first in-person bird game was in sportsman's park vs reds...gibson on mound and he gave up 7 runs.. he homered midway thru game and birds got the win....
do you follow cards on either post-dispatch or athletic? good stuff of late -- mcgee piece and review of best draft beer selections in all mlb parks

loved ted,
first in-person bird game was in sportsman's park vs reds...gibson on mound and he gave up 7 runs.. he homered midway thru game and birds got the win....
do you follow cards on either post-dispatch or athletic? good stuff of late -- mcgee piece and review of best draft beer selections in all mlb parks

It has been a few years since I have followed the Post-Dispatch, need to start again.

loved ted,

I’m jealous. I wish I was old enough to have gone to Sportsman’s Park. I always heard stories. My grandfather worked there (for KMOX). More baseball was played there than any other stadium. I often imagine what it would’ve been like if they would’ve renovated it instead of building Busch1. It would be like Wrigley or Fenway. That part of town died after too.

Hopefully Yadi can help groom Ivan Herrera into a defensive stud too. I just don't think Knizner is ever going to be more than Yadi's backup or a trade piece.

I liked the Goldy deal but I mostly agree with this....

The Cardinals Should Turn Towards Prospects, Not Outside Acquisitions

I'm with you, and for years thought goldy was the perfect fit for birds and that schildt would be the best person to develop talent.

I'll just never understand the deals for the three relievers -- and what little i saw of miller in spring was downright frightening. I am optimistic about future.

Hope you follow derrick goold in post-dispatch. I'm also enjoying card beat writer for the athletic.

had planned this year to subscribe to card broadcasts on mlb-tv.

now, i'm simply praying that i get back to stl. last visit was in feb for grandson's birthday.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
Rankings from MLB Top 200 Draft prospects...

#33 Jordan Walker 3B/1B/OF:
"Arguably the best Duke baseball recruit ever, Walker is a quality student whose parents attended MIT and Harvard. The odds of him becoming a Blue Devil decreased, however, when he established himself as the top corner-infield prospect in the 2020 high school class. Georgia has produced a prep position player in the first round of 10 of the last 12 Drafts and he could join that club in June.
Walker generates easy bat speed from the right side of the plate and has tremendous leverage and projectable strength in his 6-foot-5 frame, giving him some of the best power potential in this Draft. There are some mixed opinions on his hitting ability because his size creates a naturally long swing and he needs to improve his ability to recognize breaking balls. But he also shows some feel for hitting and the ability to make adjustments, so he should make enough contact to tap into his pop.
Athletic for his size, Walker can produce some solid run times but figures to lose a step once he matures physically. He should be able to remain at third base for a while, though if he loses some quickness he'll likely wind up on an outfield corner. He has solid arm strength and has been clocked in the low 90s on the mound, so he should profile well in right field if he has to move."

#53 Masyn Winn RHP/SS:
"Winn earns comparisons to Matt Bush, the No. 1 overall pick in 2004, for a variety of reasons. He's a legitimate two-way prospect as a short but talented shortstop with a live arm that can deliver upper-90s fastballs on the mound, and he also comes with makeup concerns because he got sent home early from the inaugural PDP League in July. He was the talk of the World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October, when he touched 98 mph with his fastball, backed it up with two plus secondary pitches and homered in the same game.
Winn has a higher ceiling on the mound, where he has a pair of high-spin-rate weapons in a heater that sits at 92-96 mph with riding action and a curveball that ranges from 79-82 mph. His low-80s changeup isn't as consistent as his fastball and curve but can give him a third plus offering at its best. His size and the effort in his delivery lead to questions as to whether he can hold up as a starter, but his athleticism and lightning-fast arm help his cause.
Some scouts prefer Winn as a shortstop and he profiles as a regular there. The Arkansas recruit still needs to refine his hitting ability from the right side of the plate but he possesses plus raw power and solid speed with good instincts on the bases. His arm is an obvious asset and he has the quickness to make plays."

#84 Tink Hence RHP:
"The state of Arkansas has had just three high school pitchers drafted in the first three rounds in the last two decades, none since the Indians made Dillon Howard a second-rounder in 2011. Hence thrust himself into that neighborhood when he broke out during the fall. He hit 94 mph with his fastball at the Future Stars Series in September and then kicked his heater up to 96 at the World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October.
Hence lacks physicality but compensates with quick-twitch athleticism and a fast arm. His fastball sat at 93-95 mph with heavy sink during his WWBA outing and he displayed similar velocity during a brief look this spring before the high school season ended. He also shows aptitude for spinning the ball, flashing a plus slider at 76-81 mph, and demonstrates some feel for a changeup.
Hence's arsenal, athleticism and ability to repeat his sound delivery give him a chance to remain a starter despite his small frame. The Arkansas recruit will be 17 on Draft day, adding to his appeal for teams that place a premium on age."

#88 Ian Bedell RHP:
"Bedell is an attractive target for clubs that favor youth and performance. He was Iowa's top 2018 prep prospect until he graduated a semester ahead of schedule to enroll early at Missouri, which will make him one of the youngest college players (20 years, 9 months) in the 2020 Draft. After posting a 1.56 ERA as a sophomore reliever last spring, he dominated even more as a starter in the Cape Cod League (0.59 ERA, .383 opponent OPS, 36/3 K/BB ratio) and continued to pound the strike zone in that role this spring.
Bedell's two- and four-seam fastballs sat in the low 90s when he started on the Cape, with sink or run depending on which version he used. He worked more in the upper 80s in cold weather during the truncated 2020 season, but his heater continued to play up because of his command. There's debate as to whether his fading low-80s changeup or his slightly slower curveball is his best secondary pitch, and he also can mix in a mid-80s cutter.
Bedell has a sound delivery and the athleticism to repeat it with ease. He attacks hitters with confidence because he can locate his pitches where he wants. Fellow Missouri hurler T.J. Sikkema rode pitchability and a high floor into the supplemental first round in 2019, and Bedell could take a similar path this year."

#136 Alec Burleson 1B/LHP:
"East Carolina produced a pair of top-five-round picks for the first time ever in 2019, with left-hander Jake Agnos going in the fourth round to the Yankees and outfielder Bryant Packard in the fifth to the Tigers. It should happen again in 2020 with righty Gavin Williams and Burleson. Though Burleson is one of the top two-way performers in college baseball and pulled double duty for the U.S. collegiate national team last summer, clubs consider him a much better prospect as a hitter than as a pitcher.
Burleson has a pretty left-handed swing and seems to make line-drive contact almost at will. Most of his pop has gone to the gaps rather than over the fence in college, leading to questions about his home run ceiling. Some evaluators see him as a hit-over-power guy who will max out at 15 homers, while others envision his strength, bat speed and solid raw pop translating into 20 or more on an annual basis.
Though Burleson is a better athlete than he gets credit for, he still lacks speed and range and will need to hit for power to become a big league regular. He shows good hands and plays solid defense at first base but doesn't cover enough ground to man the outfield corners in pro ball after seeing time there with the Pirates. On the mound, he's a finesse lefty who backs up an 87-90 mph fastball with an effective slider and changeup."

#198 Levi Prater LHP:
"Oklahoma's entire weekend rotation could fit in the first five rounds of the 2020 Draft. Cade Cavalli is a lock first-rounder and Dane Acker threw a no-hitter against Louisiana State, but Prater had a better ERA (3.42) than either of them this spring. Scouts admire his perseverance and competitiveness, which helped him overcome a lawnmower accident that cost him two fingers on his non-pitching hand when he was not quite 2 years old.
Prater's fastball parks around 90-91 mph and tops out at 93 with enough armside run to keep it off barrels. His slider hovers around 80 mph and is tough on left-handers because he sets up on the first-base side of the rubber and throws across his body. His changeup has similar velocity and fades well enough to keep right-handers at bay.
Prater's delivery features some effort and his control is just decent, yet his pure stuff plays better than its fringy to average grades. He has managed to outpitch and miss more bats than Cavalli in each of their three seasons together with the Sooners. It's easy to say that Prater profiles more as a middle reliever, but his track record and his makeup may allow him to become a back-of-the-rotation starter."

NR LJ Jones IV OF:
"The Cardinals ended the Draft the way they started it -- with power potential. Jones hasn’t played a full season since his freshman year, when he hit .312 with 22 RBIs. A redshirt sophomore who missed all of 2019 after he was hit by a pitch on his hand, Jones uses his physically strong 6-foot, 225-pound frame to generate impressive right-handed raw power. He missed his sophomore season with injury and played 14 games in the shortened season this year. But he was off to a thunderous start, with a .509 slugging percentage."

#53 Masyn Winn RHP/SS:
"Winn earns comparisons to Matt Bush, the No. 1 overall pick in 2004, for a variety of reasons. He's a legitimate two-way prospect as a short but talented shortstop with a live arm that can deliver upper-90s fastballs on the mound,

most intriguing pick. One commentator last night described him as "pound-per-pound, the best player" in this year's draft.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
Pitching, pitching, and pitching can be the Cardinals strength. Got a scrappy team this year. These guys can play with anybody I believe with a little offense, like tonight. The bullpen is very strong, and the starters to me looks to be very impressive. This cards team will go far as long they can stay healthy.

No offense in the last two games. We’re going to have to pick it up, if we are going to stay in the central.

It's so frustrating. I'm tired of watching Bader, Fowler and Carp struggle daily. Lets give more at bats to O'Neal (who's been starting in LF), Thomas, Dean, Carlson, etc.

VN Store

Back