Official Major League Soccer/US Men's National Team Thread

leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here.gif

Treating the US National Team as if its a travel club.

Frankly the whole culture around soccer in the US is pretty ****** and toxic.
I would have described US Soccer's culture that way before this story. Wow. This is Auburn-type stuff.

They already have a trying to serve two masters/competing interests thing going on between promotion of the USMNT or MLS, and there's also admin dysfunction behind the scenes. Honestly, the fact that they usually finish in big international tournaments where it seems like they should is kind of impressive given how dysfunctional the leadership is.

I would have described US Soccer's culture that way before this story. Wow. This is Auburn-type stuff.

They already have a trying to serve two masters/competing interests thing going on between promotion of the USMNT or MLS, and there's also admin dysfunction behind the scenes. Honestly, the fact that they usually finish in big international tournaments where it seems like they should is kind of impressive given how dysfunctional the leadership is.
For sure. But I think soccer culture even beyond the USSF here is so bad. So many of the parents, players, media, and fans are arrogant asshats, and you've got to believe they have no interest in fixing the fact that this is the only country in the world where soccer is about the most expensive team sport to play.

As much as I'd love for US soccer to be great (and I do love watching), there's got to be a big culture shift in the whole sport here in the US.

For sure. But I think soccer culture even beyond the USSF here is so bad. So many of the parents, players, media, and fans are arrogant asshats, and you've got to believe they have no interest in fixing the fact that this is the only country in the world where soccer is about the most expensive team sport to play.

As much as I'd love for US soccer to be great (and I do love watching), there's got to be a big culture shift in the whole sport here in the US.
True, although I'm sure you could make those same statements about AAU basketball and travel teams across all kinds of sports. Those organizations are full of incredibly arrogant, petty, and entitled people, but that doesn't prevent the teams from being insanely good.

Honestly, and I mean this only half-jokingly, the fact that a stunt like this was pulled indicates a level of insane passion. It's totally misplaced, of course, but I'm sure there are more than a few people out there who might question the US's commitment to something like soccer, which really isn't "our" sport. It's crazy for someone to attempt something like this, but I guess you can't say that they don't care. lol

True, although I'm sure you could make those same statements about AAU basketball and travel teams across all kinds of sports. Those organizations are full of incredibly arrogant, petty, and entitled people, but that doesn't prevent the teams from being insanely good.

Honestly, and I mean this only half-jokingly, the fact that a stunt like this was pulled indicates a level of insane passion. It's totally misplaced, of course, but I'm sure there are more than a few people out there who might question the US's commitment to something like soccer, which really isn't "our" sport. It's crazy for someone to attempt something like this, but I guess you can't say that they don't care. lol

But it was not done for passion of the sport, but because his kid wasn’t playing enough.

Yeah, but I think it's a lot more prevalent in soccer here in the US. The overall body of "soccer" here wants to be a major sport like everywhere else in the world, but there are too many people playing gatekeeper to let it really explode here. I think the World Cup will do a lot of good in a few years- and hopefully the Copa America next year- but something's gotta change.

It's too hard to find a group of good, chill, casual soccer fans here, because the fans that do exist still try to treat it as some exclusive, weird niche sport to be a fan of. And that attitude is also reflected in the USSF, and the American Outlaws, in supporter groups for clubs, and in just about every dang travel and local club too. You may get some crappy parents in basketball and baseball (especially), but I feel that I have seen a much worse crowd in the soccer sphere.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Yeah, but I think it's a lot more prevalent in soccer here in the US. The overall body of "soccer" here wants to be a major sport like everywhere else in the world, but there are too many people playing gatekeeper to let it really explode here. I think the World Cup will do a lot of good in a few years- and hopefully the Copa America next year- but something's gotta change.

It's too hard to find a group of good, chill, casual soccer fans here, because the fans that do exist still try to treat it as some exclusive, weird niche sport to be a fan of. And that attitude is also reflected in the USSF, and the American Outlaws, in supporter groups for clubs, and in just about every dang travel and local club too. You may get some crappy parents in basketball and baseball (especially), but I feel that I have seen a much worse crowd in the soccer sphere.
That's fascinating. Totally anecdotal because I've just been to one of their games and wouldn't call myself a fan, but the Chattahooligans (supporters group of Chattanooga FC, one of the 2 soccer teams here) is supposedly very much like that. I've heard from many people that the group overall is full of a bunch of smug know-it-alls who are hostile to newcomers. Which is ironic, because they also wonder and complain loudly about why the sport isn't more popular. They might claim they want to grow the game, but what it seems like they want more is to maintain the exclusivity of their "club."

Reactions: ButchPlz
That's fascinating. Totally anecdotal because I've just been to one of their games and wouldn't call myself a fan, but the Chattahooligans (supporters group of Chattanooga FC, one of the 2 soccer teams here) is supposedly very much like that. I've heard from many people that the group overall is full of a bunch of smug know-it-alls who are hostile to newcomers. Which is ironic, because they also wonder and complain loudly about why the sport isn't more popular. They might claim they want to grow the game, but what it seems like they want more is to maintain the exclusivity of their "club."
It only became really, really apparent to me as I've traveled a little more. I always thought some of the fans around could be real jerks, but then I go down to Peru and everyone is literally just having a blast and drinking and enjoying themselves and the game and it was really solidified for me. Down there soccer is a lot more like a UT game here.

I can't watch soccer with anybody here in the US anymore. I tried to go to some get-togethers for PL games and the smugness was just brutal.

Reactions: 05_never_again

A lot of the supporters groups for MLS teams are this way. There’s a group called The Backline, or something along those lines that support NashvilleSC, and this past season they issued “demands” to the club and went on strike for a game or two and no one from the group showed up. Maybe some of their “demands” were legit, idk, I didn’t dig too far into it, but either way that was something that just screamed entitlement to me. Not something I’d want to be a part of.

It only became really, really apparent to me as I've traveled a little more. I always thought some of the fans around could be real jerks, but then I go down to Peru and everyone is literally just having a blast and drinking and enjoying themselves and the game and it was really solidified for me. Down there soccer is a lot more like a UT game here.

I can't watch soccer with anybody here in the US anymore. I tried to go to some get-togethers for PL games and the smugness was just brutal.

Agree completely on the first paragraph, but a bit surprised by the second. I’ve went and watched games with the Music City Blues, for Chelsea, and I thought it was really welcoming. Even went to a Liverpool meetup with a friend who is a Liverpool fan when Chelsea played them in the FA Cup last year.. and even as an opposing fan I never felt completely disrespected. Lots of ribbing, especially when we lost, but felt good hearted for the most part. I also knew my place and wasn’t obnoxious too which I bet helped. Both times the presidents or leaders of the supporter groups were walking around making sure to talk to people and introduce themselves to new faces. Just really good experiences overall.

Maybe I just got really lucky, who knows.

VN Store

Back