Official Jon Gruden Thread XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring Tee Martin Home

I disagree but not for the reason one might expect. I think the search for a coach should be put on hold for now.

There is a lot of bloodletting that needs to take place among the boosters/UTAD. I think that needs to play itself out, as painful as it will be to watch. After the dust settles, then go find a coach. If we make a decision now, it will likely be a bad one.

Reactions: 9 people
Old habits die hard

Beaver's response tells me he's just as shocked as anyone. He's basically come out and said he was supposed to get the fan base riled up for a coach at the caliber of Gruden, not necessarily Gruden. He did that, and knew the levers to pull to make it happen. He lied a bit in the process, it's a thing.

But if it's anything like what AV has said, who I think we all believe is a bigwig in this whole thing, the Schiano decision was made without any other boosters. I now believe Beaver is connected in some way to the whole thing. If even AV didn't know until someone called him while Currie was in Ohio, Beaver's tweets saying "this is an absolute joke" were probably what he actually thought at the time.

His tone has changed from downright comical and cocky to what I'd expect from someone who is trying their best to enact damage control and who is perplexed as anyone that his and his benefactors plans had been subverted. He sounds WAY more human.

I'm not a naive person, and I've always been skeptical of the things Beaver has said, check my record, but at this point it does sound like the whole booster community was completely betrayed by Haslam and Currie.

And if that's truly the case then I'm very very worried about how bad things have gotten.

Maybe I'm wrong, we'll never know, and I'll eat my crow, but this all just shows how much of a cluster the whole administration is with the Haslams still pulling strings.

Reactions: 16 people
I disagree but not for the reason one might expect. I think the search for a coach should be put on hold for now.

There is a lot of bloodletting that needs to take place among the boosters/UTAD. I think that needs to play itself out, as painful as it will be to watch. After the dust settles, then go find a coach. If we make a decision now, it will likely be a bad one.

Sound, reasonable, logical way forward, which means we definitely won't be doing that.

From poster on TOS about QB club meeting today

"Jimmy Hyams spoke . Mullens played Currie, why did Currie go the Bahamas and not keep pressure on Mullens to become UT coach???
Was Memo of Understanding signed by President and Chancellor? Don't know.
Currie, Jim Haslam and Peyton Manning approved of Scharino. Peyton contacted former players to get behind the hire.
Hyams asked the audience if anyone would want to hire Kiffin and ONLY 1 hand out 250 raised their hand to hire Kiffin
No Interm coach
The only way for people to get behind this new coach is by Winning fb games.
Where will UT go for a coach? Don't know
Cutcliffe is 63 years old and is he up to the challenge. Cut would have taken job after Kiffin left if he had been offered the job.
We don't have quality players to compete with other power teams in this league. Lossing 4 players to the NFL killed this team this year.
People spoke up about Jim Haslam hurting this program regardless of all the good he has done for the University.
Jim Haslam walked Currie into the Board meeting and said Currie was the new Athletic Director and Anderson said no and walked out the door and slammed the door behind him.
Les Miles has contacted a UT booster about the job.
John Majors likes Schiano"

Haslam has been strong arming our University to fit his agenda. He has got to GO now along with Currie! I urge everyone to not give up until he and Currie are dismantled from their positions

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

I agree with this. And I think we may not have a coach in place for a long time. Depends on how quickly the power struggle ends and who emerges as the victor.

Reactions: 4 people
Unless we make lemonade out of lemons we have dug ourselves a hole from which we cannot extricate ourselves. Gonna take a miracle. Let's hope God is a Volunteer!!

Reactions: 1 person
Same here. Very hard to watch good people say "oh well, we have to accept less now."

Gruden is absolutely still an option. Just not with current leadership, IMO.

Do you think that if Gruden came out and say "yeah I did want to coach there and thought everything was good to go," that said leadership would be outsed just a little quicker. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
Id like to send an email but I'm not good with words

A simple F*** YOU will suffice and might make you feel better. Just make sure to email all you can at UT and ask for the resignation of one Currie and one Davenport, and possibly Dipietro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back