Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

We were all set to go that way until my research to decide which tankless WH to buy. It came to a screeching halt when I realized that if the power goes out the tankless WH goes off, too ... even gas. With a regular gas WH I can at least still have hot showers when the power is out for a few days ... some things are sacred. We had a tankless water heater in the late 60s in Okinawa - no electricity needed. It wasn't fancy, but sometimes progress isn't progress.
I've also considered one but my issue without an impetus to get out my kids will live in the shower. If we had unlimited hot water I would have to stay on them every night or my bills would go even higher. I think you also need a 1" supply line and a good place to vent exhaust as well.

Reactions: AM64
Alpharetta GA is HQ, but they got several gas plants including Richland in Buford GA. A Republic landfill but they lease to pull gas emissions to recip engines which run a generator. Funny thing is I was there today with a UT engineer and I gave u props. They do not inject NG to a pipeline but have several vessels full of AA for what I would presume to be for that purpose..not sure how that works. I know I mentioned Pioneer refrig gas dryers to u in past, but maybe better purity.
There’s at least twice as many landfills where the gas is used to run generators on site as there are landfills close enough to a pipeline to sell it as natural gas. Those latter are making what’s called High BTU Gas and it requires a lot more processing than what you can get by with to fuel a generator. Most of my biogas biz is for High BTU. Few years ago I did some consulting for one of the bigger biogas outfits to help troubleshoot catalyst problems on the exhaust side of a huge generator installation in Irvine CA. They had 7 huge Caterpillar engines like the size to power an ocean liner, each one in its own building. Of course being in Cali they had to put catalytic converters on the engine exhaust…

There’s at least twice as many landfills where the gas is used to run generators on site as there are landfills close enough to a pipeline to sell it as natural gas. Those latter are making what’s called High BTU Gas and it requires a lot more processing than what you can get by with to fuel a generator. Most of my biogas biz is for High BTU. Few years ago I did some consulting for one of the bigger biogas outfits to help troubleshoot catalyst problems on the exhaust side of a huge generator installation in Irvine CA. They had 7 huge Caterpillar engines like the size to power an ocean liner, each one in its own building. Of course being in Cali they had to put catalytic converters on the engine exhaust…

I guess that is why you are an engineer and I am not. When you say High BTU, obviously it has enough BTU to fire a combustion engine but not high enough BTU to inject into an NG pipeline to fire other combustion processes.
They have 5 engines taking up quite a big building that look like some maritime motors..loud as all get out Had GE on side with some other Euro name.

Thing is they had several large SS vessels full of AA. Guess that is to purify for the combustion engines.

I am actually looking at providing blowers used as vacuum from the landfill. Not sure I will have a solution within our normal offering as it is corrosive

Reactions: AM64 and RavinDave
I guess that is why you are an engineer and I am not. When you say High BTU, obviously it has enough BTU to fire a combustion engine but not high enough BTU to inject into an NG pipeline to fire other combustion processes.
They have 5 engines taking up quite a big building that look like some maritime motors..loud as all get out Had GE on side with some other Euro name.

Thing is they had several large SS vessels full of AA. Guess that is to purify for the combustion engines.

I am actually looking at providing blowers used as vacuum from the landfill. Not sure I will have a solution within our normal offering as it is corrosive
Most likely those vessels are for removing H2S and/or siloxanes. In a combustion engine the H2S becomes SO2 which is probably under regulatory emission control and may be also bad for the engines corrosion-wise. Siloxanes when combusted form tiny particles of silicon dioxide - basically glass - which plate out on the valves and pistons and cause engines to wear out fast. Raw LFG is only about 60% methane, with CO2 making up most of the rest, and for an IC engine you can leave the CO2 in there - and the O2 as well - but with the CO2 the gas has only around 600 BTU per SCF (std cu.ft.) while pipelines generally have a BTU spec of 1000 or so, which means the CO2 has to be taken out. Pipelines also have a tight moisture spec, which is good for molecular sieve sales, and many of them also restrict the O2 to as low as 10 ppm, which is where Dave comes in with a precious metal catalyst…. Air Liquide is a big player with a membrane technology for separating CO2 and methane, have probably sold 50 units the last 10 years, and they use a set of Adsorbents we supply them (and their licensees) for pretreating the gas so the membranes work better.

What MoC are the blowers, the gas can be pretty nasty, or has it been cleaned before you see it?

VN Store

Back