Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Huntsville isn't a bad place at all - even if it is in Alabama. I was there (Army) for the better part of a year in '67 - '68. One son lives in Huntsville now, and we go to Redstone periodically. The change from the late 60s is pretty incredible.
Yep I spend time at Redstone for work. I always try to sneak some time at the museum that never gets old.

The latest rendition of walking tall is ruined by the pic that someone posted of the rock wearing a pink push up bra. Damn you people.

Always watch the original movie when I see it. Low budget but the corruption story always intrigued me being in TN

Reactions: AM64
Always watch the original movie when I see it. Low budget but the corruption story always intrigued me being in TN

I grew up 3 miles from the state line , a lot of the people involved with “ things “ around there were still alive and my mom and Bufords daughter ( Dwana) were besties . My family was “well aquatinted“ with Buford and the Mcnairy country deputies. Lol

Nonsense. If you can't fold your slice, it's not pizza, it's lasagna. NY Style rules.View attachment 310435

Exactly. I want to be able to fold it and eat it with one hand and I maybe get through it all without needing a napkin. Then I'm off to my next activity. That's peak experience, to me. That Chicago pizza looks like I'd need a fork and a seat at a table to it eat, and then a nap afterward.

My dad was retired military. A couple of times his assignments didn't include us, so we wound up at "home" going to a small county school. Two things stick out in my mind - the teachers were great because they were doing what they wanted to do, and probably all of them could have made more money elsewhere. Some had even taught the parents of kids in my classes. Where this was really going is the cafeteria - absolutely the best school meals you will find - better than a lot of restaurants. The ladies who worked there came mostly from farms, and they knew how to cook.
My dad was military as well and moved to Germany a few months before we did because my oldest brother was graduating high school which gave my dad plenty of time to live in the BOQ and befriend all of the teachers. I was totally screwed when school started.
As far as food goes, where else could you get authentic wiener schnitzel, knockwurst and bratwurst in a school lunch? Yum!

I grew up 3 miles from the state line , a lot of the people involved with “ things “ around there were still alive and my mom and Bufords daughter ( Dwana) were besties .

I did some research in the past after watching the movie and think some liberties were taken, but I always thought the move excellent. Nice seeing the populace say enough is enough once they had a leader. Wont lie, that song at the end is a tearjerker, but I am a softie.

Reactions: AM64
I grew up 3 miles from the state line , a lot of the people involved with “ things “ around there were still alive and my mom and Bufords daughter ( Dwana) were besties . My family was “well aquatinted“ with Buford and the Mcnairy country deputies. Lol

Spill!

My dad was retired military. A couple of times his assignments didn't include us, so we wound up at "home" going to a small county school. Two things stick out in my mind - the teachers were great because they were doing what they wanted to do, and probably all of them could have made more money elsewhere. Some had even taught the parents of kids in my classes. Where this was really going is the cafeteria - absolutely the best school meals you will find - better than a lot of restaurants. The ladies who worked there came mostly from farms, and they knew how to cook.
We also had good teachers and cafeteria food all through school. Same reasons. I think it was the times, and the smaller communities.

My dad was military as well and moved to Germany a few months before we did because my oldest brother was graduating high school which gave my dad plenty of time to live in the BOQ and befriend all of the teachers. I was totally screwed when school started.
As far as food goes, where else could you get authentic wiener schnitzel, knockwurst and bratwurst in a school lunch? Yum!

Never had the school overseas experience. Like your experience, the teachers in those country schools knew families, and those were the days parents generally didn't tolerate screwups at school. Word would get home quickly and get resolved - if you were dumb enough not to have already figured out that the grapevine worked very well and there would be consequences.

You probably know some people I know. Guy I fish with every so often, his mom is from there and has told some stories. Sounds like the whole police force was crooked as a dogs hind leg.

I did some research in the past after watching the movie and think some liberties were taken, but I always thought the move excellent. Nice seeing the populace say enough is enough once they had a leader. Wont lie, that song at the end is a tearjerker, but I am a softie.

There’s a lot of “ liberties “ taken just to make it a good movie . Like the stick , Buford did have one bit it was just for show , he would shoot you .

VN Store

Back