Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

man I am still looking for a Land Cruiser for you. Can't die yet.

We rode in several Land Cruisers and Land Rover Defenders a little while back in Africa - mostly dirt paths, dry stream beds, and off road. The Land Rovers simply ate up the potholes that would swallow a car; the Land Cruisers on the same road would turn your insides into jelly - they absolutely beat you to death on rough roads or off road. I also get the impression that if you have to ask what a Land Rover costs, you can't afford it anyway.

We rode in several Land Cruisers and Land Rover Defenders a little while back in Africa - mostly dirt paths, dry stream beds, and off road. The Land Rovers simply ate up the potholes that would swallow a car; the Land Cruisers on the same road would turn your insides into jelly - they absolutely beat you to death on rough roads or off road. I also get the impression that if you have to ask what a Land Rover costs, you can't afford it anyway.
In the states you will be around $60k for a 90's Defender in decent shape and 100k+ miles.

Reactions: AM64
I'm on well water. Well doesnt pump without electricity. Power went out a couple days ago. But there's enough water under pressure in the bladder to run a few gallons. I went to wash hands about 30 minutes after power loss. No water. Uh oh.
Spent the morning in my crawl space in a puddle of water and mud repairing the leak. Bonus, it was hot water leaking. Bonus 2, it's been doing it for weeks...maybe months. Bonus 3, the joists and subfloor are saturated and have fungus growing.

I'm on well water. Well doesnt pump without electricity. Power went out a couple days ago. But there's enough water under pressure in the bladder to run a few gallons. I went to wash hands about 30 minutes after power loss. No water. Uh oh.
Spent the morning in my crawl space in a puddle of water and mud repairing the leak. Bonus, it was hot water leaking. Bonus 2, it's been doing it for weeks...maybe months. Bonus 3, the joists and subfloor are saturated and have fungus growing.
Yes the joys of home ownership. I can relate, my power went out a few days ago and took my fridge out with it.

You have been on a run of bad house luck.

I’ve never heard of a system like you’re describing, what’s the bladders for?

Yes the joys of home ownership. I can relate, my power went out a few days ago and took my fridge out with it.

My A/C went out Friday afternoon. We have no air condition on for a hot August weekend. Had a guy come out and said the motor has died on it & want start up cooling again until it's been replaced. The wonderful joys of a hot summer weekend with NO AIR. Be sometime next week .... early to get a motor here to be replaced w/the old. The house is showing at 86 degrees so far...not bad.

My A/C went out Friday afternoon. We have no air condition on for a hot August weekend. Had a guy come out and said the motor has died on it & want start up cooling again until it's been replaced. The wonderful joys of a hot summer weekend with NO AIR. Be sometime next week .... early to get a motor here to be replaced w/the old. The house is showing at 86 degrees so far...not bad.
95% of the time the starting capacitor on the outside unit dies and the motor just hums when it tries to start. Hopefully you trust your HVAC guy, a lot of them will try to rip you off and sell you a motor for $300 when all you need is a $10 capacitor. I keep a spare on hand even though I replaced my entire system last year.

95% of the time the starting capacitor on the outside unit dies and the motor just hums when it tries to start. Hopefully you trust your HVAC guy, a lot of them will try to rip you off and sell you a motor for $300 when all you need is a $10 capacitor. I keep a spare on hand even though I replaced my entire system last year.
yep same here (capacitor wise).

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
yep same here (capacitor wise).
Yep, that's what I was referring to, the capacitor. I had a fan motor go out a few years ago (verified by me) and looked one up on ebay and it was about $80 but was going to take a few days to get so I just called a service company. They charged me $330 plus labor for a motor that I could have bought for $250 less. Needless to say I don't do business with them anymore.

Reactions: StarRaider and AM64
Oh noes.... this doesn’t sound good daddio.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad

Lol...I wish that capacitor was only $10 dollars in today's money & not 4 years ago when it was $75.00. Now double that for today.

You have been on a run of bad house luck.

I’ve never heard of a system like you’re describing, what’s the bladders for?
Regulates pressure when pump kicks on/off. Additionally pump engages in short "bursts" rather than run continuously during high demand.

Oh noes.... this doesn’t sound good daddio.
Twerent good.

However, good bonus is I will never go in a crawl space again without a boogie board. Those swim toys are the best at keeping rock from gouging me and it keeps me off the ground about 1 inch.

Bad bonus #4, I've got other CPVC joints failing. Those are just drips atm...not a spray shooting out 5 feet.

Reactions: tntar heel
Lol...I wish that capacitor was only $10 dollars in today's money & not 4 years ago when it was $75.00. Now double that for today.
WTOB it sounds like you might be getting ripped off. I just looked on Amazon and caps average around $15-$20 and they're cheaper on ebay. It should be about a $100 service call for a capacitor and labor.
They look like this:
capicitor.jpg

WTOB it sounds like you might be getting ripped off. I just looked on Amazon and caps average around $15-$20 and they're cheaper on ebay. It should be about a $100 service call for a capacitor and labor.
They look like this:

Thanks, but it's a little too late for doing that. I can eat the price. I bent way over & grabbed my ankles.

VN Store

Back