Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I have slight concerns the guy with the Charger might have been my dad.
The Charger was Tor red in color. At least I think that is what Dodge called it. It was a red/orange with black buckets, a 383/330 hp engine, and a 4 speed. That thing had a huge trunk, and the sign wouldn't fit.

Reactions: AM64
Yeah heard about it. I will be interested to see what they finally determine the cause was. Last I heard was there will still 3 theories. Considering it was still under construction i dont think it was a design issue. But it could be.

First it's the worst nightmare to have people die, and others get hurt.
Second, it kills the project. Timeline gone. Budget gone. Might have to tear it all down if they dont know the issue or it's too bad.
Third, it could ruin both the contractor and the architect if there is blame to go around.

I saw some pics that were allegedly taken before the failure...big concrete columns that supported the entire structure, with lots of rebar inside ...half finished with untied rebar and large portions of the concrete missing. They definitely werent structurally sound, and there were lots of them. Looked like they didnt properly support the structure from ground level, but continued to go up...that would remove any blame from the architects and engineers...place blame squarely on the subs/GC who didnt build as the plans showed, common sense stuff like those columns. Sad for the workers...they died simply because others were cutting corners.

I saw some pics that were allegedly taken before the failure...big concrete columns that supported the entire structure, with lots of rebar inside ...half finished with untied rebar and large portions of the concrete missing. They definitely werent structurally sound, and there were lots of them. Looked like they didnt properly support the structure from ground level, but continued to go up...that would remove any blame from the architects and engineers...place blame squarely on the subs/GC who didnt build as the plans showed, common sense stuff like those columns. Sad for the workers...they died simply because others were cutting corners.
That's what i saw, too. Almost like a support was placed every 10 meters rather than 10 feet, or something.

Reactions: AM64

Are you old enough to remember the KC Hyatt suspension walkway collapse?. The design called for long rods from the ceiling supporting stacked walkways. The builder just dropped rods to the top walkway and then a second set of rods to the lower walkway. Instead of distributing the hanging load equally on both walkways, the as-built put all the weight of both walkways on the top walkway supports. When they were all loaded up with the people at a party the top one collapsed onto the bottom, and the whole thing went to the main floor. Makes you wonder how many times builders make changes thinking there is no real difference between the change and the as-designed plan.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Not looking good at all for Houston tonight >>>> Yankees up 4-1 >>> top of 9th w/two out now.

With a Yankees win it makes the series 3-2 Houston >>>> Update: Game over...

Sorry, RavinDave.....maybe the next game Houston has better luck. Series now goes back the Houston.
Yeah, hopefully we get the win tonight and save the Cole Train for Game 1 of the World Series...

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Are you old enough to remember the KC Hyatt suspension walkway collapse?. The design called for long rods from the ceiling supporting stacked walkways. The builder just dropped rods to the top walkway and then a second set of rods to the lower walkway. Instead of distributing the hanging load equally on both walkways, the as-built put all the weight of both walkways on the top walkway supports. When they were all loaded up with the people at a party the top one collapsed onto the bottom, and the whole thing went to the main floor. Makes you wonder how many times builders make changes thinking there is no real difference between the change and the as-designed plan.
Every effing project. It's why we try to put so much safety factor in everything.

So I missed the Astros game due to my time required for the engine assy. Sounds as if I didnt miss much after seeing the summary and box score.

I proceeded with the assembly and almost have the long block complete. I would have set the rocker arms but I'm missing a 12 pt. 8mm socket. Heads are on and torqued. I should have some time tmrw evening to install the balancer and the intake gaskets, etc. until install in a few weeks.

I've attached a few photos showing the progress.
View attachment 232193View attachment 232194View attachment 232195

I've never really looked at a current V-8 in that stage of assemble/disassembly, but not seeing one or more carbs and a "normal" intake manifold just looks strange. But then this is what my SHO engine looked like so I don't have room to talk ... I swore when the car gave up, I'd turn the engine into a coffee table - I didn't.

sho v6.jpg

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I've never really looked at a current V-8 in that stage of assemble/disassembly, but not seeing one or more carbs and a "normal" intake manifold just looks strange. But then this is what my SHO engine looked like so I don't have room to talk ... I swore when the car gave up, I'd turn the engine into a coffee table - I didn't.

View attachment 232302
Yamaha made a purty engine there. I test drove one of those back around 1988 or 89, or whenever they first came out. I liked it, but didn't think I could afford to spend $18-19,000, or whatever they cost then.

Trick or treaters don’t come to our house. Nice cool day so I decided to smoke some chili a meatloaf and a bologna. I’ll make some biscuits in the morning for the bologna.
I recognized the meatloaf and chili, but I thought that other thing was a football with the ends cut off, and the stitches removed.

Yamaha made a purty engine there. I test drove one of those back around 1988 or 89, or whenever they first came out. I liked it, but didn't think I could afford to spend $18-19,000, or whatever they cost then.

That they did. The engine was the best part of the SHO by far. The rest was just a Taurus. To me the engine was a showpiece (no pun intended).

That they did. The engine was the best part of the SHO by far. The rest was just a Taurus. To me the engine was a showpiece (no pun intended).
Seems like it was 220 horsepower, and all the early ones were 5 speed manuals. I seem to remember that the shifter was a little clunky and the clutch travel was kinda long. Did the automatics start when they went to a V8 SHO later?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back