Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I’m not sure y’all could handle all of me… I feel bad for GV, I obviously wore him out enough to make him highly susceptible to the Rona… 😏🤣😅🤷🏻‍♀️ (I don’t think he minds though)
Please be careful. Men of GV's advanced age need to retain their energy to fight off viruses.

Should be prime real estate. Keep us updated.

You know there's an underground Chattanooga; the street level was raised significantly because of flooding, and the old street level stuff is still down there. The thing most people don't know is that Knoxville may have something similar. Back in the 70s, I bought some speakers from the manufacturer on Gay St. I got a chance to look around the facilities; we went down a few flights of stairs and there were doors that I definitely think went out under Gay St. Dink may be well situated in case Prohibition ever raises it's ugly head again.

You know there's an underground Chattanooga; the street level was raised significantly because of flooding, and the old street level stuff is still down there. The thing most people don't know is that Knoxville may have something similar. Back in the 70s, I bought some speakers from the manufacturer on Gay St. I got a chance to look around the facilities; we went down a few flights of stairs and there were doors that I definitely think went out under Gay St. Dink may be well situated in case Prohibition ever raises it's ugly head again.

There is a tunnel beneath Market or Broad St..cannot remember, Can even grab lunch down there back then as all manners of business people walk by

Reactions: AM64
There is a tunnel beneath Market or Broad St..cannot remember, Can even grab lunch down there back then as all manners of business people walk by

It's the one that used to run between a department store and either an addition or just a parking garage. I think it was the Rich's on Henley St, but it's been way to long ago to be sure.

Edit: is this what you are thinking of? My dad was stationed at McGhee-Tyson until the Air Force turned it over to the TN ANG in '57 or '58. I remember the tunnel from when we shopped there. I was around 10 at the time.

Rich's department store in downtown Knoxville left elegant memories

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeburst
Yeah you can see it on the 100 block, at least two levels down. And I know DGB/Woodruffs has their brew facility under the "ground" floor.

Didnt know about Chattanooga having one. Makes sense though, most cities do. Atlanta is pretty bad too.

Forgot about Market square, I know the Soccer taco has an underground section (no way it meets code), and then there is the boiling alley place too in Knoxville. I like the boiling alley because you enter at grade, go down, and then there is a rear
area back up on "ground level" but at that point you are elevated over the parking garage. Lots of neat/scruffy spaces in Knoxville.

Last edited:
Yeah you can see it on the 100 block, at least two levels down. And I know DGB/Woodruffs has their brew facility under the "ground" floor.

Didnt know about Chattanooga having one. Makes sense though, most cities do. Atlanta is pretty bad too.

Forgot about Market square, I know the Soccer taco has an underground section (no way it meets code), and then there is the boiling alley place too in Knoxville. I like the boiling alley because you enter at grade, go down, and then there is a rear
area back up on "ground level" but at that point you are elevated over the parking garage. Lots of neat/scruffy spaces in Knoxville.

I seem to recall that space under Soccer Taco being a bar at some point in our early 20's.

Monkey Cave? I believe the Knoxville bartending legend Whitney worked behind there for a minute.

VN Store

Back