Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

That's Thursday for me.

Maryland requires all vehicles bought out of state undergo a $100 inspection by a licensed station (full body, not just emissions), who then try to upsell you on all kinds of service. Then you take that form and pay $500+ for two license plates that you have to give back when you move out of state.

As you may or may not know, I know all about it and know what you are in for. DMV, Inspection station, mechanic, inspection station, DMV. May God have mercy on your soul.

Several years ago, I waited in a DMV office for half a work day in Montgomery County…so long that my laptop ran out of power. I plugged it in y an outlet on the wall and the DMV station manager told me I had to unplug it because I was stealing power from the state.

As you may or may not know, I know all about it and know what you are in for. DMV, Inspection station, mechanic, inspection station, DMV. May God have mercy on your soul.

Several years ago, I waited in a DMV office for half a work day in Montgomery County…so long that my laptop ran out of power. I plugged it in y an outlet on the wall and the DMV station manager told me I had to unplug it because I was stealing power from the state.

I picked a shop near campus so they could give me a lift to my office while they do their thing. At least I'll have something to do while waiting.

Do you need a modified vehicle because of your prosthesis?

I do, but it's a minor mod. A platform is bolted to the frame, and my left foot accelerator clips into it. When my wife wants to drive this van she just pulls the retaining pin and it slides right out. $500 per vehicle with prescription.

Both of our vehicles have this mod, and it's good for the life of the vehicle. My wife's quadriplegic cousin has to have hand controls, and the costs for him are close to five figures and hand controls have a life of 75k miles before the vehicle has to be retired of I understood him correctly.PXL_20220523_163421623.jpg

I do, but it's a minor mod. A platform is bolted to the frame, and my left foot accelerator clips into it. When my wife wants to drive this van she just pulls the retaining pin and it slides right out. $500 per vehicle with prescription.

Both of our vehicles have this mod, and it's good for the life of the vehicle. My wife's quadriplegic cousin has to have hand controls, and the costs for him are close to five figures and hand controls have a life of 75k miles before the vehicle has to be retired of I understood him correctly.View attachment 457507
That's an elegant solution. Thanks for sharing.

The old half a glass of water analogy.

Optimist: The glass is half full

Pessimist: The glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

No, no, no. The glass isn't big enough. There has to be a safety factor to avoid spillage. The glass needs to be twice as big as the water content. Even more so if it's booze - too precious to spill, and the drinker is more likely to be careless.

No, no, no. The glass isn't big enough. There has to be a safety factor to avoid spillage. The glass needs to be twice as big as the water content. Even more so if it's booze - too precious to spill, and the drinker is more likely to be careless.
Those are the defense contractor engineers. The civilian engineers are all “phssst just build it at 90% of the water volume and over fill it it’ll hold”

Those are the defense contractor engineers. The civilian engineers are all “phssst just build it at 90% of the water volume and over fill it it’ll hold”

Being from the nuclear field, we probably over qualify stuff as bad as the defense world. I used to ask why we couldn't just use Mil Spec stuff instead of having to do our own nuclear qualification for stuff that sees little radiation.

Being from the nuclear field, we probably over qualify stuff as bad as the defense world. I used to ask why we couldn't just use Mil Spec stuff instead of having to do our own nuclear qualification for stuff that sees little radiation.
Because then the Feds couldn’t hire twice as many oversight contractors and employ twice the number of useless leeches. Duh.

SAE under hood and oil field down hole can be tougher than many military environments

Glad to hear it. With GV out of commission for a week someone needs to keep her entertained.
She felt fine last night.
I’m not sure y’all could handle all of me… I feel bad for GV, I obviously wore him out enough to make him highly susceptible to the Rona… 😏🤣😅🤷🏻‍♀️ (I don’t think he minds though)

VN Store

Back