Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Starting my new job this morning...
Got you a cake to celebrate.

ac13c692a82d7c8ae9c25312a726329b.jpg

Getting installed next tuesday with a new 3 bank charger. Can't wait to be able to spot lock the boat in current without having to drop the hook.
Nice. Which charger? I put in a MinnKota Precision 3 bank last winter.

I haven’t had mine out yet either but same on spot lock. Mine is more driven by not worrying about getting blown into shore when reeling in a fish or rerigging a rod but it’s game changing. So much less stress fishing on my buddy’s boat with an Ultrex.

The view from the air/space was crazy

I've been playing with Zoom Earth quite a bit lately. It has several differing layers as you zoom in, but the opening view is current imagery with overlays showing global weather radar with the satellite imagery. You can display wind, etc. At full zoom it's captured surface views similar to Google Earth - some are better and newer than Google Earth, and some seem fuzzier. Another interesting feature is doing motion like with weather radars. Anyway I was looking around Tonga and there was a little red heat dot, so I zoomed in over that, and there was the cloud from the eruption - and you could go back to a time before the eruption and watch it happen. Pretty interesting. If Google Earth and Zoom Earth had been around when I was in school, I'd have been a geography wizard.

Thinking of cancelling my Nashville trip today. I feel like crap and don't want to go. I really don't want to drive that far for a doctor's visit, especially since it's not one of my major doctors.

We've all got built in last minute excuses currently. Just call and tell them you have covid symptoms and feel like crap - they'll tell you not to come.

Nice. Which charger? I put in a MinnKota Precision 3 bank last winter.

I haven’t had mine out yet either but same on spot lock. Mine is more driven by not worrying about getting blown into shore when reeling in a fish or rerigging a rod but it’s game changing. So much less stress fishing on my buddy’s boat with an Ultrex.

I looked at the Minn Kota three bank but went with the NOCO Genius 10x3. The Ultrerra's are nice but understand the auto deploy/retrieve mechanism is sketchy, I would have gone with the terrova if I could have found one. It's just like the Ulterra but manual... The Rhodan is almost identical in features as the MK Terrova but the factory in only a couple of hours away if I need warranty work and the customer service is supposed to be impeccable.

I looked at the Minn Kota three bank but went with the NOCO Genius 10x3. The Ultrerra's are nice but understand the auto deploy/retrieve mechanism is sketchy, I would have gone with the terrova if I could have found one. It's just like the Ulterra but manual... The Rhodan is almost identical in features as the MK Terrova but the factory in only a couple of hours away if I need warranty work and the customer service is supposed to be impeccable.
I have a MotorGuide Xi5 was just commenting on the spot lock capability on his Ultrex how nice it is to have. The NOCO Genius was the other one I was looking at but chose the Precision and have been pleased thus far. I run all Optima D31M’s and the Precision does well there. Haven’t really considered Lithium I just don’t think they’re worth. I understand many do and they are considerably lighter

I have a MotorGuide Xi5 was just commenting on the spot lock capability on his Ultrex how nice it is to have. The NOCO Genius was the other one I was looking at but chose the Precision and have been pleased thus far. I run all Optima D31M’s and the Precision does well there. Haven’t really considered Lithium I just don’t think they’re worth. I understand many do and they are considerably lighter

I was almost desperate enough to buy a new in the box 72" xi5 with gps (36v 102lb) from a dude on craigslist. But then I read that the warranty is only applicable to the original owner and only from two years past purchase date. He wanted full asking price. F all that noise. I lowballed him due to the warranty issue and never heard back - it's still on CL now...

I've been playing with Zoom Earth quite a bit lately. It has several differing layers as you zoom in, but the opening view is current imagery with overlays showing global weather radar with the satellite imagery. You can display wind, etc. At full zoom it's captured surface views similar to Google Earth - some are better and newer than Google Earth, and some seem fuzzier. Another interesting feature is doing motion like with weather radars. Anyway I was looking around Tonga and there was a little red heat dot, so I zoomed in over that, and there was the cloud from the eruption - and you could go back to a time before the eruption and watch it happen. Pretty interesting. If Google Earth and Zoom Earth had been around when I was in school, I'd have been a geography wizard.
Google earth came out while I was young enough to go playing with it. It's crazy that they include the interiors of a good number of buildings. During early Covid even some museums were on google earth for free.

Reactions: AM64
I was almost desperate enough to buy a new in the box 72" xi5 with gps (36v 102lb) from a dude on craigslist. But then I read that the warranty is only applicable to the original owner and only from two years past purchase date. He wanted full asking price. F all that noise. I lowballed him due to the warranty issue and never heard back - it's still on CL now...
I wouldn’t use a MotorGuide in salt water. And yeah that dude was fairly clueless it sounds like.

I wouldn’t use a MotorGuide in salt water. And yeah that dude was fairly clueless it sounds like.

It was the saltwater version and I've had a sw motorguide before. It came on a 17 ft flats boat I bought from a neighbor years and years ago. 36v 112lb thrust - damn thing would take you off your feet. WAY too much for that boat... All three battery's were in the bow too - first time i took it out I was going over another boats wake and stuffed the bow - it went through it and flooded the boat asnd damn near sank it.

Good boat tho.

Just read one of Marvin West's better stories about Tennessee football - "Tennessee famous fathers and sons". Marvin has a writing style that seems lost forever; it will be a sad day when he no longer writes. He starts by talking about Navy Shuler as a QB backup and reminds everyone how Daryl Dickey came off the bench to save a season - maybe my favorite Vol team. He even mentions Dewey Warren (although not part of a father/son package) - another of my favorite players and teams. He talks a bit about Heath Shuler including the following:

Shuler killed a football on his first day of Tennessee practice. He hit a would-be receiver on the helmet and broke the ball. It split at a seam. Air leaked out. True story. Chip Robertson remembers it well. It was his hat that got hit.

He also covers Shuler's pat on Fulmer's bottom while telling him he'd take care of things. Sure would be nice to get back to the fun and glory part of those old days when overachievement seemed to be somewhat the norm.

Tennessee famous fathers and sons - Knox TN Today

VN Store

Back