Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Cassettes were bearable, it was the 8 tracks that dove me crazy. I bet Fauci invented it.

I used to repair tape recorders of all kinds - including reel-to-reel video (from a time before what we call VCRs) and some strange helical scan audio recorders. I won't say 8 tracks were the worst, but I certainly never bought one. I may still have a home player and a couple of 8 tracks I inherited from those days. Cassettes did some nasty tangles, but, unlike 8 tracks, you could at least generally get them out of a player without resulting to words not used in polite society. One of my to do things is digitize some reel-to-reel recordings - some of those old albums may not even exist in any form today. We used to trade records around and record them on tape; and on Okinawa in the late 60's, the Marine Hobby Shop at Futenma had a huge record library they would record on tape for you.

I used to repair tape recorders of all kinds - including reel-to-reel video (from a time before what we call VCRs) and some strange helical scan audio recorders. I won't say 8 tracks were the worst, but I certainly never bought one. I may still have a home player and a couple of 8 tracks I inherited from those days. Cassettes did some nasty tangles, but, unlike 8 tracks, you could at least generally get them out of a player without resulting to words not used in polite society. One of my to do things is digitize some reel-to-reel recordings - some of those old albums may not even exist in any form today. We used to trade records around and record them on tape; and on Okinawa in the late 60's, the Marine Hobby Shop at Futenma had a huge record library they would record on tape for you.

From my memory, didnt 8 tracks only have 4 tracks? I remember 1-4, but there was no "other side"
I wonder if 8 tracks meant you could generally record 8 songs on the length of tape? Heck I dont know,

I still have an 8 track player with RCA output I could plug back in but the only tape it didn't eat was "The Starland Vocal Band" and the only song I bought that for really doesn't apply to me now ;)

From my memory, didnt 8 tracks only have 4 tracks? I remember 1-4, but there was no "other side"
I wonder if 8 tracks meant you could generally record 8 songs on the length of tape? Heck I dont know,

There were actually both 4 track and 8 track designs. Some 8 tracks were four pair for four stereo tracks, and some were quadraphonic - four tracks for two quad runs. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Orangeburst

1pcycp.jpg

VN Store

Back