Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

BS article by Axe and the COS can suck it. So many flaws in the article. The F-35A is not $100M, it is now under $80M. By developing a new lightweight fighter, you reduce legs, which contradicts the ability to Asia Pacific pivot. Honestly, sounds like minimizing a threat to China via the Xiden admin. Japan, Australia, SK, and maybe Singapore, which already have planes and orders, somehow threat China.

I've got an @McDad joke thing going tonight.

d2e8d9db-816c-4a3c-b941-02d36f8f5228-jpeg.84911

I mean, there is some discussion to be had on the article that could be steered away from partisan politics.

Yes, the USAF is ****ing stupid when it comes to buying new kit. I've said that for years.

Partisan politics..the article is full of it. And I am not even sure it was originally posted here. And I dont disagree with the fact things are gold plated...the USAF is not the only one.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Partisan politics..the article is ful of it. And I am not even sure it was originally posted here. And I dont disagree with the fact things are gold plated...the USAF is not the only one.

Yes and no. I didn't see as much partisan politics there and the truth of the matter. I've said for years the numbers of the F-35 they wanted to buy was a pipe dream and the Air Force, USMC and USN should have been thinking high tech/low tech for the force structure. The legacy designs like the Teen series, B-52 and A-10 are being used heavily because you don't need 5th Gen stealth in the skies over Afghanistan or Iraq. You do need a single purpose, task oriented aircraft that's going to do a job well and at low cost.

The F-35 got shoved up the backsides of the whole world as the be all-do all fighter that was going to save democracy before 11 AM and make them a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. It's an amazing machine, but it was never going to be able to replace (relatively) low tech that's needed for a lot of the fights we get into.

You want to see USAF stupidity in it's prime? Read up on the LA/AR Program. Perfect example of actually having a mature, off the shelf aircraft at a cheap cost performing the missions that were needed. And with the way newer, smaller munitions (though no less deadly) were coming along, would be even more potent in fights we could use them in.

Yes and no. I didn't see as much partisan politics there and the truth of the matter. I've said for years the numbers of the F-35 they wanted to buy was a pipe dream and the Air Force, USMC and USN should have been thinking high tech/low tech for the force structure. The legacy designs like the Teen series, B-52 and A-10 are being used heavily because you don't need 5th Gen stealth in the skies over Afghanistan or Iraq. You do need a single purpose, task oriented aircraft that's going to do a job well and at low cost.

The F-35 got shoved up the backsides of the whole world as the be all-do all fighter that was going to save democracy before 11 AM and make them a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. It's an amazing machine, but it was never going to be able to replace (relatively) low tech that's needed for a lot of the fights we get into.

You want to see USAF stupidity in it's prime? Read up on the LA/AR Program. Perfect example of actually having a mature, off the shelf aircraft at a cheap cost performing the missions that were needed. And with the way newer, smaller munitions (though no less deadly) were coming along, would be even more potent in fights we could use them in.
**** the sand pit fights and LA programs. I want a fighter like the F-35 made for near peer. I have followed the program closely for 20 years and it just now getting mature.

**** the sand pit fights and LA programs. I want a fighter like the F-35 made for near peer. I have followed the program closely for 20 years and it just now getting mature.
The F35 was supposed to be a sturdy low cost replacement for the F16. It’s become some boondoggle and now they want a new F16 to replace the plane that was supposed to replace the F16 twenty years ago.

I mean, there is some discussion to be had on the article that could be steered away from partisan politics.

Yes, the USAF is ****ing stupid when it comes to buying new kit. I've said that for years.

Always too complex, too expensive, and too unreliable. John Boyd's rogue gang had it pretty much right with the A-10 and original F-16 concept. They are everything the F-35 isn't.

Always too complex, too expensive, and too unreliable. John Boyd's rogue gang had it pretty much right with the A-10 and original F-16 concept. They are everything the F-35 isn't.
In WWII the fighter concept was “I want to make this giant engine fly”. The A10 is a tweak of that, “I want to make this giant gun fly”.

The F35 was supposed to be a sturdy low cost replacement for the F16. It’s become some boondoggle and now they want a new F16 to replace the plane that was supposed to replace the F16 twenty years ago.

They've pretty much figured out the F-35 isn't up to replacing the F-16. Right now they can't even keep F-35 engines in service - availability rate is crap. Somebody needs to be looking at Saab's newest Gripen - either as a plane to buy or as a role model.

In WWII the fighter concept was “I want to make this giant engine fly”. The A10 is a tweak of that, “I want to make this giant gun fly”.

We have this problem of trying to develop the flying Swiss Army knife instead of weapons dedicated for a purpose. The all in one approach generally is the Jack of all trades thing - they do a bit of everything but are masters at nothing. That was OK until our competition started producing some class hardware.

@BowlBrother85 if your parents don’t have a copy of this you should try and find them one.
It’s pretty interesting for anyone that lived or grew up in Old Hickory. I don’t know if it’s still available through Amazon or on the net somewhere, but if you’re interested l’ll see if someone in the family has an extra copy
64BDA38F-879C-40C3-9126-924758C46DF6.jpeg

@AM64

I got the watch in last night. I actually got a very good deal through little Switzerland. They are an actual AD and not a grey market seller like jomashop so I got the actual 5 year Omega warranty and they added a 2 year on top of it. Paid 4,165 out the door with no tax. The only negative was they used DHL and it was suppose to require a signature and the driver simply dropped it off and said I signed but that is on DHL. I would highly recommend them to any one looking to a get a watch or Tiffany's jewelry. Mike Danias is who I used.

Attachments

• 20210225_154346.jpg
    20210225_154346.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210224_184507.jpg
    20210224_184507.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210224_184450.jpg
    20210224_184450.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
@AM64

I got the watch in last night. I actually got a very good deal through little Switzerland. They are an actual AD and not a grey market seller like jomashop so I got the actual 5 year Omega warranty and they added a 2 year on top of it. Paid 4,165 out the door with no tax. The only negative was they used DHL and it was suppose to require a signature and the driver simply dropped it off and said I signed but that is on DHL. I would highly recommend them to any one looking to a get a watch or Tiffany's jewelry. Mike Danias is who I used.

Lotta scratch for a watch. It's damn nice though.

VN Store

Back