Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Oil change rant/feedback:

McRib's Lexus has a maintenance required msg displayed. Oil change. No biggie. Checked my records and changed about 5k miles ago. I use the recommended oil...full synthetic oil and premium filter. I noticed both filter and oil advertise "up to 20k" between changes. Got my mind to thinking. Why should I change at 5k? Her driving is easy...mostly highway, doesn't hot rod. So I checked the oil off stick. Good color, no burnt odor, and at top line.

I reset the computer and I'm gonna let it run for another 5k.

Thoughts?

McRib's Lexus has a maintenance required msg displayed. Oil change. No biggie. Checked my records and changed about 5k miles ago. I use the recommended oil...full synthetic oil and premium filter. I noticed both filter and oil advertise "up to 20k" between changes. Got my mind to thinking. Why should I change at 5k? Her driving is easy...mostly highway, doesn't hot rod. So I checked the oil off stick. Good color, no burnt odor, and at top line.

Thoughts?

My wife’s former Lexus was the same. It’s just a mile counter that is preset to some mileage interval. Just reset it and change it on the next reminder.

Thoughts?
What year Lexus? The wife’s old 2009 RX still called out dino oil with a 5k change interval. The 2021 explicitly calls out the Toyota full synthetic 0W20 with a 10K change interval. The light might still come on at 5K but no oil change required. In fact I’m fairly sure the light does still come on at 5k in the new one as she already took it in for the 5K complementary service. The first 10k change is complimentary also and is triggered by the light.

Just follow the maintenance interval in the warranty book and you shouldn’t have an issue.

What year Lexus? The wife’s old 2009 RX still called out dino oil with a 5k change interval. The 2021 explicitly calls out the Toyota full synthetic 0W20 with a 10K change interval. The light might still come on at 5K but no oil change required. In fact I’m fairly sure the light does still come on at 5k in the new one as she already took it in for the 5K complementary service. The first 10k change is complimentary also and is triggered by the light.

Just follow the maintenance interval in the warranty book and you shouldn’t have an issue.
2015. Calls for same oil 0w-20.

Is the 5k light there to prompt an inspection of oil, oil level, etc.?

Thoughts?
My F150 supposedly has a "smart" oil life monitor that looks at how you drive to determine when to change the oil. When I first bought it, I towed a trailer with it and didn't change the oil until it had nearly 9,000 miles on it. In my mind that was wrong, but I've never worn an engine out in my life. Now I just change it once a year when it nags me.

Look the the manual. From what I remember the maintenance interval is still 5k for the various inspections, tire rotations, etc… but oil and o/f is now every 10K. Like I said on the old 2009 it was done every maintenance interval now it’s every OTHER maintenance interval.

Look the the manual. From what I remember the maintenance interval is still 5k for the various inspections, tire rotations, etc… but oil and o/f is now every 10K. Like I said on the old 2009 it was done every maintenance interval now it’s every OTHER maintenance interval.
Read the manual???

Pfft...what a nerd.

Thoughts?
I have been doing 10k oil changes for 20 years/almost 380k miles on my 02 diesel using 5w40 syn (Delvac1/Mobil1).

My F150 supposedly has a "smart" oil life monitor that looks at how you drive to determine when to change the oil. When I first bought it, I towed a trailer with it and didn't change the oil until it had nearly 9,000 miles on it. In my mind that was wrong, but I've never worn an engine out in my life. Now I just change it once a year when it nags me.

All engines should be that way. We're probably dumping oil too early in most cases because somebody set a number "to be on the safe side". Engines burn cleaner these days, so you'd definitely expect fewer pollutants to get by the rings and contaminate the oil.

Thoughts?

So I was talking with a UT friend of mine today via text. He was an engineer for Mercedes' and now Kia. I brought up your situation. His opinion was that all modern cars on modern oil can go at least 9 thousand mile. He will also tell you that a KIA is better designed car, from an engineering standpoint, then a Mercedes. Primarily meaning **** won't break and when it does it easier to fix

Thoughts?
I think on my wife's old Accord the manual said a full synthetic was good for 12.5k and that was before all this 0W fanciness. Her Odyssey now does the same thing, manual calls for full synthetic 0W but the stupid warning goes off every 6k miles or so. I've checked the stick and it looks perfectly fine. I've been meaning to see if you can manually edit the intervals on those warnings.

Reactions: McDad
Oil changes are how dealerships get you in the door. Member when they used to give you those 3k stickers? Now they're a bit more generous out to 5 or 6k or 6 months, whichever comes first. During the covid troubles I think I went 15 months before I got an oil change, just didn't drive very much and couldn't see the point. The oil was of course completely fine. It's frankly a waste of oil to chuck it out after such a small amount of use, which isn't great for the environment or a good way to handle a nonrenewable resource.

Oil changes are how dealerships get you in the door. Member when they used to give you those 3k stickers? Now they're a bit more generous out to 5 or 6k or 6 months, whichever comes first. During the covid troubles I think I went 15 months before I got an oil change, just didn't drive very much and couldn't see the point. The oil was of course completely fine. It's frankly a waste of oil to chuck it out after such a small amount of use, which isn't great for the environment or a good way to handle a nonrenewable resource.

What really gets me is that CARFAX keeps sending me emails telling me my car has an upcoming service. I've never had any dealings with CARFAX.

So I was talking with a UT friend of mine today via text. He was an engineer for Mercedes' and now Kia. I brought up your situation. His opinion was that all modern cars on modern oil can go at least 9 thousand mile. He will also tell you that a KIA is better designed car, from an engineering standpoint, then a Mercedes. Primarily meaning **** won't break and when it does it easier to fix
I appreciate you talking to your friend about it and not telling me to read the manual like some bookworm. 🤓

Wait...there is oil that has to be changed?

I overfilled mine the other night by half a quart and my check engine light came on. Changed oil and filter the next day to be safe aG ģģģýýyþþģgģand light went off immediately. Now the light has come back on....thinking maybe when i had too much oil in it, it fouled an 02 sensor maybe? Need to plug it up and see what the code says

Reactions: Orangeburst

As someone else mentioned, the light is probably just to get you back to the dealer sooner for an oil change. When we bought our van a few years back, the interval was 7,500 for everything (oil, inspections, etc). The dealership went ahead and set the reminder light for 5,000 "to give us plenty of heads up". After my wife took it in for the free change a few miles after 5,000, I changed it in the settings to 7,500 to make sure future changes were closer to actual schedule published for the van.

You can probably change yours as well within the settings if there really is no need for it to be sooner.

^^^ instructions are just suggestions and unwanted free advice from a schmoe (or group of schmoes) who may or may not be as bright as you...as a group or individually.

*Generally something for the womenfolk, children, or other interlopers to peruse while encroaching on the working/assembling/repairing/cussing zone. Not intended for consumption by the actual skilled craftsman himself*

VN Store

Back