Official Countdown to the 2019 Tennessee Vols Football Season

61 days........

In the 1998 National Championship season, Peerless Price’s 61 receptions for 920 yards and 10 TDs, produced memories that will live in the hearts of Vol fans forever!

View attachment 210900
I sure have enjoyed your countdowns. You set a high bar.

In 2018 Brent Cimaglia scored 61 points going 10-13 on FG and hit all 31 PATs.

59 days..........

1959 wasn’t the greatest year in UT history (5-4-1), with 7 of their 10 games against ranked opponents. But on November 7, Billy Cannon and #1 LSU came to Knoxville, and one of the greatest wins in Vols history took place. Down 7-0, and with LSU driving in the 3rd quarter, Jim Cartwright picked off a pass and returned it 59 yrds for a TD. Tennessee would score again and held off a late rally by stopping Cannon on a 2pt conversion to preserve a 14-13 victory!!

0935B868-A0CF-439C-9B9B-3DF422F8EF09.png3EE7AA41-7C6D-4A16-903F-17A491A55301.jpeg

58 days......

On October 5, 2002, UT defeated Arkansas 41-38 in 6 OT’s. In his second career start, Jabari Davis rushed for 135 yrds and 2TDS, including a 58 yarder. Davis was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.

F1F921FA-8B85-473D-B375-CDFA954D4CDC.png

57 days.......

On September 19, 1998, 107,653 people watched Tennessee defeat Florida 20-17 in route to the NC. The defense was the hero, but without the 57 yard TD run by Shawn Bryson, the game would never have made it to OT.
7CDEC215-F9D2-45A4-9150-0C30414D5620.png

56 days......

On October 21, 1939, both UT and Bama were undefeated when they met in Knoxville. With the game tied 0-0 in the 2nd quarter, Jimmy “Blood” Butler took a handoff and zig-zagged 56 yards for the go-ahead touchdown. Grantland Rice described Butler as, “ a dancing, dodging, untackable ghost.” His run is considered by many as the greatest play in UT history.

Great read below.

Absolute Zero During the 1939 regular season, Tennessee faced 10 foes, and not one of them scored a point. If you think that's ever going to happen again, we've got a bridge...
277458E0-61DB-429A-BE73-6660FB23209F.png0DED7251-7DB8-460F-9493-6F4FD4093349.png

Last edited:
56 days......

On October 21, 1939, both UT and Bama were undefeated when they met in Knoxville. With the game tied 0-0 in the 2nd quarter, Jimmy “Blood” Butler took a handoff and zig-zagged 56 yards for the go-ahead touchdown. Grantland Rice described Butter as, “ a dancing, dodging, untackable ghost.” His run is considered by many as the greatest play in UT history.

Great read below.

Absolute Zero During the 1939 regular season, Tennessee faced 10 foes, and not one of them scored a point. If you think that's ever going to happen again, we've got a bridge...
View attachment 211489View attachment 211490
Excellent article! Thanks for sharing.

55 days.......

In 1982, Fuad Reveiz set many records for the Vols. He attempted 31 FG’s and made 27. He set an NCAA record with 8 made FG’s over 50 yards. But, one of his standout games was his 5-5 performance vs Kentucky, which included a 55 yarder at the end of the first half. His 16 total points helped the Vols to a 28-7 victory.

450C462D-E4C1-447E-ACC7-7AFA861EE60C.png

54 days.........

In the 1999 National Championship game, Dwayne Goodrich stepped in front of a Marcus Outzen pass and returned in 54 yards for a TD, giving the Vols a 14-0 lead.

View attachment 211680
I really do enjoy the Vols getting a pick 6.

A kick return are fun to watch too.

I only know of 1 Hail Mary for the win converted by the Vols. The one at the end of the half against Fl was exciting.

Strip six, blocked kicks, onside kicks, sacks, diving catches, long runs for a TDs, make the top 10.

I like watching our MLB stuff their running back for a loss by reading the play,

When our line is functioning properly, it’s a thing of beauty.

It’s getting so close and it’s so hard to wait. I’m really looking forward to this season. I’m expecting to see the result of a better work ethic. Improvements across the board. The Vols will be better this year, let the chips fall. I’m going all in on the Vols this year.

It’s so tough to wait.

I really do enjoy the Vols getting a pick 6.

A kick return are fun to watch too.

I only know of 1 Hail Mary for the win converted by the Vols. The one at the end of the half against Fl was exciting.

Strip six, blocked kicks, onside kicks, sacks, diving catches, long runs for a TDs, make the top 10.

I like watching our MLB stuff their running back for a loss by reading the play,

When our line is functioning properly, it’s a thing of beauty.

It’s getting so close and it’s so hard to wait. I’m really looking forward to this season. I’m expecting to see the result of a better work ethic. Improvements across the board. The Vols will be better this year, let the chips fall. I’m going all in on the Vols this year.

It’s so tough to wait.
UGA game........Hail Mary to win

UGA game........Hail Mary to win
What makes that special was that Georgia had gone ahead with a late score leaving just precious seconds for a Volunteer response. Georgia was playing at home and their fans were thinking "Hobb-Nailed Boot" time. Instead, it was a " Dobbs-Nailed Boot" that greeted them. What a moment !!!!

Go Vols!

53 days.........

In the annals of UT football, Safety Brian Randolph holds the distinction of having played in more games than anyone in Tennessee history........53 games. During his career from 2011-2015, Randolph had 306 total tackles, 4 forced fumbles, 8 interceptions, and 1TD.
FAC52B05-43F5-4F91-85C7-A157AF624828.png

First post for me and a random one, I grew up a Georgia Tech fan but always liked the vols. Around this time last year I hopped completely on board with the vols and I have never been more engaged with a team, I’ve been obsessive with following them along with basketball and baseball. Even though I usually hate bandwagon fans, now I guess I am one. But I can’t wait to make it to neyland for the first time when they play BYU. Feel like an outsider of a fan but I feel like going to that first game is going to make me feel like I’m officially apart of the family. GBO

First post for me and a random one, I grew up a Georgia Tech fan but always liked the vols. Around this time last year I hopped completely on board with the vols and I have never been more engaged with a team, I’ve been obsessive with following them along with basketball and baseball. Even though I usually hate bandwagon fans, now I guess I am one. But I can’t wait to make it to neyland for the first time when they play BYU. Feel like an outsider of a fan but I feel like going to that first game is going to make me feel like I’m officially apart of the family. GBO
Solid 1st post.

Interesting.

No offense, but I get dropping Ga Tech, and becoming a Vol, what I want to know is what prompted the change.

My Dad started taking me or at least tag alone, a long time ago and that hooked me.

Get ready for a fun year. I expect a lot of excitement on the field. It’s gonna be fun.

Solid 1st post.

Interesting.

No offense, but I get dropping Ga Tech, and becoming a Vol, what I want to know is what prompted the change.

My Dad started taking me or at least tag alone, a long time ago and that hooked me.

Get ready for a fun year. I expect a lot of excitement on the field. It’s gonna be fun.
At the time I really just loved college football too much to keep putting myself through miserable seasons of a team that ran the triple option, a lacking fan base, and a boring conference. Adopting the vols was easy for me haha, you have tradition, amazing fan base, within driving distance from me, and what I think is a great coach we have. Ive always considered Tennessee as a second home and wanted to be apart of this while the struggle was still going on so it will feel even better when I was a fan during some of the worst times, so these good ones coming up (very soon) will feel even better!

VN Store

Back