Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

My proposed reading list. Comments and suggestions welcome:

Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
A Death in the Family - James Agee
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Thin Red Line - James Jones
1984 - George Orwell
Animal Farm - George Orwell
The World According to Garp - John Irving
The Cider House Rules - John Irving
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
The James Fenimore Cooper "Leatherstocking Tales"
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
A Man Without a Country - Kurt Vonnegut
A Connecticut Yankee in Kin Authur's Court - Mark Twain
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S Lewis
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Deliverance - James Dickey
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
The Snows of Kilamanjaro - Ernest Hemingway
Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi
Reclaiming History - Vincent Bugliosi
Blackhawk Down - Mark Bowden

Somebody liked this and I got a notification and I am responding so I can work on this list

I have decided to read the James Bond novels by Fleming. I am just about done with “From Russia With Love”. The novels are a fun little read and much more real and gritty than the movies

I have decided to read the James Bond novels by Fleming. I am just about done with “From Russia With Love”. The novels are a fun little read and much more real and gritty than the movies

I'll be honest with you, they start to lose their luster as you keep going. Fleming kind of started to mail it in.

Reading The Line That Held Us by David Joy. Good gritty read so far. Just finished The Savage by Frank Bill. Great brutal hillbilly gothic.

I'll be honest with you, they start to lose their luster as you keep going. Fleming kind of started to mail it in.
I'll likely finish the series because quitters never win, but I may check out my local library instead of buying the last several books

I'll likely finish the series because quitters never win, but I may check out my local library instead of buying the last several books
They're all on Kindle Unlimited, if you have a Kindle and want to burn the free month or whatever trial.

Big fan of the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. reading for the second time, found out I am missing a book. the 11th, Knife of Dreams. been in three different bookstores looking for it and still haven't found it. best story I have ever read. Fantasy kinda in the same vein as LoTR, more "magic" but everything is more explained/grounded. if you need a time sink I highly suggest it.

my dad and a friend have recently gotten me into the Lost Fleet books by Jack Cambell IIRC. enjoy them. Sci Fi.

Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise and Crazier Demise of the USFL.

I really think they could have lasted had they stayed in the spring for a a few more years.

Last edited:
The Last Arrow, Save Nothing For the Next Life, by Erwin McManus.

I'm not completely sold on his theology, but as a motivator and inspiration, he's amazing. I've listened to a few of his podcasts, too. Great stuff.

The Dog of the South by Charles Portis. Great funny read from the guy that wrote True Grit.

Before that I read Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson, surreal tale about the Vietnam War

Reading Rabbit at Rest

I need to get back on that. I've only read the first two so far. Rabbit Angstrom is one of those characters that seem to live in your mind like an actual person outside the book, as if you might be reminded of him sometime and wonder what's been going on with him. Frank Bascombe in the Richard Ford books is another like that.

Reactions: bignewt
Just completed The Jersey Brothers, quite interesting take on how POWs were treated by the Japanese and the true disdain that was held by most of the military leadership for Douglas MacArthur.

Just finished a collection of short stories by Ha Jin. And just read The Betrayal by him. Now reading Estoril by Dejan Tiago-Stankovic. Once I wrap that up, I’ll crack Nanjing Requiem by Ha Jin. Really enjoying Ha Jin’s writing.

Just completed The Jersey Brothers, quite interesting take on how POWs were treated by the Japanese and the true disdain that was held by most of the military leadership for Douglas MacArthur.

Wow, they left like all that WWII stuff out of the musical....

Finished Heart of Darkness by Conrad, about to start a short story collection by David Foster Wallace one of my favorite novelists.

And don't forget my novel Chameleon, on sale on Amazon! ;)

VN Store

Back