Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Almost feel like there should be a Books You've Re-Read thread. I generally hold to a "so many books, so little time" philosophy but every once in a while a book bears re-reading for one reason or another. I most recently did that with Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, just because it was so beautifully written I wanted to experience it again.

I've re-read so many passages of Suttree so many times it feels like I've re-read it, and I plan to actually do that front to back sometime soon. And for anyone who read To Kill A Mockingbird in school as a kid, that one absolutely warrants a fresh reading with adult eyes. That probably goes for a lot of books I read when I was young... Catch-22 was a much funnier and deeper read when I was in my 40s. And one of my upcoming plans is to go back through several Vonnegut books that I tore through when I discovered him in my early 20s. I bet those would read way differently 3+ decades on.

So what wells have you guys returned to?

Almost feel like there should be a Books You've Re-Read thread. I generally hold to a "so many books, so little time" philosophy but every once in a while a book bears re-reading for one reason or another. I most recently did that with Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, just because it was so beautifully written I wanted to experience it again.

I've re-read so many passages of Suttree so many times it feels like I've re-read it, and I plan to actually do that front to back sometime soon. And for anyone who read To Kill A Mockingbird in school as a kid, that one absolutely warrants a fresh reading with adult eyes. That probably goes for a lot of books I read when I was young... Catch-22 was a much funnier and deeper read when I was in my 40s. And one of my upcoming plans is to go back through several Vonnegut books that I tore through when I discovered him in my early 20s. I bet those would read way differently 3+ decades on.

Personally I keep a lot of books that I loved to read but there are just way too many out there to re read something.

Reactions: pismonque

I just reread 12 Rules for Life. I'll likely reread Lord of the Rings. I have read the Bible twice, but different translations, so not sure if that counts.

Otherwise I don't reread much of anything.

Reactions: pismonque
Just read "Jack Hinson's One-Man War" for the second time. Great read. If you enjoy "War Between the States" history, ya gotta read it.

Reading a more modern translation of St. Augustine's Confessions (the Oxford Classics one by Chadwick). I'd read Confessions before and gotten a lot out of it but the value of a more modern translation than the old, old one I read before can't be understated.

St. Augustine highlighted a lot of problems that I see the same as now, 1600+ years later. It's almost as if we're humans and history does repeat itself to an extent. IMG_20200912_084500_921.jpg

I recently re-read all 10 of my Sandman graphic novels, by Neil Gaiman. I, usually re-read 'em, every 2 or 3 years, simply because I love 'em.

I got to book 5 in a reread last fall. Need to go back and finish. Very tempted to get the Audible version too. The previews sound better than I thought.

Other than that I’ve been rereading the Claremont/Byrne Era of X-Men. FF from 1 up to my kids (on issue 28). And the new Jack Kirby bio by Tom Scioli.

“Real” book wise I finally finished Everybody Lies after setting it down for over a year.

Reactions: The Dog
I got to book 5 in a reread last fall. Need to go back and finish. Very tempted to get the Audible version too. The previews sound better than I thought.

Other than that I’ve been rereading the Claremont/Byrne Era of X-Men. FF from 1 up to my kids (on issue 28). And the new Jack Kirby bio by Tom Scioli.

“Real” book wise I finally finished Everybody Lies after setting it down for over a year.
At one time, I owned every issue of the original run of the X-Men from issue 109 to 250, including 94-97 and 101. I haven't re-read it in over a decade, but as a teenager, I loved it. I have a paper book that reprints the first 7 issues of the FF and I read it last year, Kirby was a genius. Did u by chance read Byrne's run on the FF ? Another one I enjoyed as a teen.

At one time, I owned every issue of the original run of the X-Men from issue 109 to 250, including 94-97 and 101. I haven't re-read it in over a decade, but as a teenager, I loved it. I have a paper book that reprints the first 7 issues of the FF and I read it last year, Kirby was a genius. Did u by chance read Byrne's run on the FF ? Another one I enjoyed as a teen.

I’ve read most of Byrne’s FF. He did around 60 issues and I had about 40 of them at one time. Second best run on the book followed closely by Walt Simonson. My kids are huge FF fans. I try to change it up to Spider-Man or X-Men and they beg to go back to FF.

I’ve read most of Byrne’s FF. He did around 60 issues and I had about 40 of them at one time. Second best run on the book followed closely by Walt Simonson. My kids are huge FF fans. I try to change it up to Spider-Man or X-Men and they beg to go back to FF.
That's really cool, probably love the family aspect of the FF, u and Mom are probably their Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman

Reactions: BenGrimm
I recently re-read all 10 of my Sandman graphic novels, by Neil Gaiman. I, usually re-read 'em, every 2 or 3 years, simply because I love 'em.
Speaking of re-reading, I may have said this before, maybe in this thread even, but I’ve been thinking I want to go back and re-read all the Vonnegut novels I read 30+ years ago. Loved Vonnegut back then but I’m guessing they’d be completely different reads in my mid-50s than they were in my early 20s.

I may need to skip Player Piano though. Even back then his notion of the mechanisms of future automation seemed awfully goofy.

Speaking of re-reading, I may have said this before, maybe in this thread even, but I’ve been thinking I want to go back and re-read all the Vonnegut novels I read 30+ years ago. Loved Vonnegut back then but I’m guessing they’d be completely different reads in my mid-50s than they were in my early 20s.

I may need to skip Player Piano though. Even back then his notion of the mechanisms of future automation seemed awfully goofy.
Forgive the masturbatory self-quote but I have to throw in a couple follow-up comments.

First, I said I may have mentioned the Vonnegut re-reads before, maybe even in this thread — I just noticed I actually have... on this same freakin page. I’m clearly losing my mind.

Second, @The Dog: weird, I just realized 3 of my last 4 posts are replies to you in separate threads. Should probably say for the record I swear I’m not stalking you. As far as you know.

Forgive the masturbatory self-quote but I have to throw in a couple follow-up comments.

First, I said I may have mentioned the Vonnegut re-reads before, maybe even in this thread — I just noticed I actually have... on this same freakin page. I’m clearly losing my mind.

Second, @The Dog: weird, I just realized 3 of my last 4 posts are replies to you in separate threads. Should probably say for the record I swear I’m not stalking you. As far as you know.
I wish more people would apologize for their masturbatory comments.

I also just finished up With The Old Breed about two weeks ago. HIGHLY recommended to anyone, not just those that want to read war memoirs. It is a fantastic book, one of my new favorites.

Reading Dathan Aeurbachs Bad Man his follow up to Penpal which was one of the scariest books I've ever read. This new one disappoints so far he is trying to be Stephen King.

Ulysses still sits there, taunting me from it's perch.

Re-reading Life on the Mississippi. Every dang thing Twain wrote is great.

Also finished The Memory Trees. Pretty good, but kind of a chick's story.

VN Store

Back