Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest

It’s more about Beck as a person and his growth to appreciate his family than about Everest. Though he does go into decent detail about the journey as well.

I did a few keyword searches, but couldn't find a similar thread. If one exists, please feel free to merge, @Freak.

As the title implies, curious to know what fellow VN'ers are reading.

I just finished In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote

Very colorful read about a horrific and completely unnecessary slaughter of a respectful family in Kansas in 1959. Story covers what put the crime in motion, as well as the subsequent investigation, and trial, as well as the before, during, and after from the eyes (words) of the guilty party themselves. Very candid book.

If you're into true crime non-fiction, there's a strong chance you may have already read this book. If not, I highly recommend it

In honor of Christopher Tolkien after his passing, I've decided to re-read The Children of Húrin . I read it in middle school ~10 years ago and haven't touched it since then.

Great book.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I did a few keyword searches, but couldn't find a similar thread. If one exists, please feel free to merge, @Freak.

Very colorful read about a horrific and completely unnecessary slaughter of a respectful family in Kansas in 1959. Story covers what put the crime in motion, as well as the subsequent investigation, and trial, as well as the before, during, and after from the eyes (words) of the guilty party themselves. Very candid book.

If you're into true crime non-fiction, there's a strong chance you may have already read this book. If not, I highly recommend it
Thanks! Sounds good! I get to order books for the library, and I am always looking for good ideas. True crime is a favorite for readers and me.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
The Iron Jackal. Outs the 3rd book in the Tales of the Ketty Jay series. It's about sky pirates.

Great book! One of my favorites for sure. Capote also has some fantastic short stories if you want to read some more of him.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
I’m reading a Cuban police noir (who knew?) series called The Havana Quartet, by Leonardo Padua, an award-winning novelist. All four are set in Havana in 1989, just as things were unraveling, and are remarkably outspoken about repression at the time, especially among the literary world. The writer is one of those cursed individuals who write literature within the genre of detective fiction, which is usually a recipe for unemployment and obscurity, but he is read and admired worldwide.

Lieutenant Mario Conde is as gritty as they come (the author admires Hemingway and Hammett), and he enjoys Cuban cooking and sex equally, perhaps sex a bit more equally, along with his cigarettes and rum. He gets involved in cases involving political corruption and other awkward and hidden realities. The N.C. state library system (Cardinal) was missing one of the books , and so I ordered a new copy to read and then donate. Hope they don’t blanch at some of the scenes. The Cuban machismo comes through loud and clear.

A Spanish TV series is available on Netflix. Someone else is trying to put together another version with Antonio Banderas as The Count (Conde.) *drools*

If anyone is interested, the series was translated into English out of order. With English titles, the sequence is:
- Havana Blue (winter)
- Havana Gold (spring)
- Havana Red (summer)
- Havana Black (fall)

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc

This reads like an @firestorm post.

My proposed reading list. Comments and suggestions welcome:

Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
A Death in the Family - James Agee
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Thin Red Line - James Jones
1984 - George Orwell
Animal Farm - George Orwell
The World According to Garp - John Irving
The Cider House Rules - John Irving
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
The James Fenimore Cooper "Leatherstocking Tales"
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
A Man Without a Country - Kurt Vonnegut
A Connecticut Yankee in Kin Authur's Court - Mark Twain
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S Lewis
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Deliverance - James Dickey
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
The Snows of Kilamanjaro - Ernest Hemingway
Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi
Reclaiming History - Vincent Bugliosi
Blackhawk Down - Mark Bowden

Darkness at Noon - Koestler
Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Solzenhitsyn
The Moviegoer - Walker Percy
Memory Police - Yoko Ogawa
The Good Soldier Sveyk - Hasek
Sound and the Fury - Faulkner
Honestly...any Faulkner
Notes from the Underground - Dostoevsky
The Idiot - Dostoevsky
The Gambler - Dostoevsky
The Double - Dostoevsky
The Possessed - Dostoevsky
Honestly...any Dostoevsky - even his journals. So fascinating.
Kreutzer Sonata - Tolstoy (first listen to Beethoven which inspired Tolstoy then listen to Janacek who was inspired by Tolstoy - I prefer Janacek’s approach)
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
Steinbeck
Kafka
Camus
George Oppen’s Poetry
Raymond Chandler
Paul Auster
So much good writing out there.

Reactions: vader and pismonque
Darkness at Noon - Koestler
Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Solzenhitsyn
The Moviegoer - Walker Percy
Memory Police - Yoko Ogawa
The Good Soldier Sveyk - Hasek
Sound and the Fury - Faulkner
Honestly...any Faulkner
Notes from the Underground - Dostoevsky
The Idiot - Dostoevsky
The Gambler - Dostoevsky
The Double - Dostoevsky
The Possessed - Dostoevsky
Honestly...any Dostoevsky - even his journals. So fascinating.
Kreutzer Sonata - Tolstoy (first listen to Beethoven which inspired Tolstoy then listen to Janacek who was inspired by Tolstoy - I prefer Janacek’s approach)
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
Steinbeck
Kafka
Camus
George Oppen’s Poetry
Raymond Chandler
Paul Auster
So much good writing out there.

Hmmmm, that particular list seems like it needs a Joyce or two on it.

Reactions: franklinpence
Finished Go to the Widowmaker by James Jones

Reading A Death in the Family by jJames Agee, pulitzer prize winning book, centered in Knoxville.

Finished A Death in the Family, it was interesting albiet bare boned. Reading American Pop by Snowden Wright.

VN Store

Back