Offensive Improvement over last year

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I heard today that UT&#39;s offense had improved over last year. In 2002 we were like 75th in the nation in offense and this year we are 72nd. I haven&#39;t verified this, but if its true that is pitiful. 10-2 or not I think we need some changes....cough <<Jimmy Ray Stevens>>, cough. No way Sanders is gone. 10 wins bought him another year.

Wanna know what I think is pitiful?? CPF getting credit for all the GREAT offensive play calls ( the UF hail Mary, the Miami 4th and 1, etc., etc.) and Sanders still claiming the title of Offensive Coordinator. If CPF is gonna call the offense, let Sanders GO. Otherwise, give Sanders the credit that is due HIM. I am NOT in ANY form or fashion a Sanders fan, and would be tickled pink to see him leave, but if he IS calling these great plays, it isn&#39;t helping his cause any for CPF to get all the credit.

I agree. That whole Fulmer/Sanders deal is just too weird. I don&#39;t think they have a normal relationship (Coach to Coach that is). I just wonder if this kind of thing goes on anywhere else.

Well I have to chime in here and give my two cents&#33;

I have watched over the last two years some of the worst offensive play calling i&#39;ve ever seen by a team with so many quality players at the skill positions.

Sanders has done nothing but shorten the field on us over the last few years. We&#39;ve had some absolutely great receivers and a slew of quality running backs all hampered by the offensive play calling&#33;

I think I saw more 5-10 yard passes and short screen calls by Sanders that it hurt our backs tremedously by causing the linebackers to shorten the field and give them no running room and basically giving us no running game. This PISSED me off so bad last year ...I chant every game "Bring Back David Cutcliffe, Bring Back David Cutcliffe"

I think Banks and the other receivers really could have made a name for themsleves if we would have opened up the offense more and stretched the field. I guess we&#39;ll have to wait and see what happens next year.

/R

VOLifornia
GO BIG ORANGE&#33;

I think the bottom line with this offense is that we cannot run the ball. Our run blocking has been just awful. That in my opinion is the number one reason that our offense has struggled the last two years.

Don&#39;t even talk to me about screen passes. I have never seen a team that runs this play as bad as we do. Our line man just can&#39;t get out there and block in time. I remember one play where a lineman tried to block two guys to spring the screen and he just fell down between the two of them. Needless to say the back got creamed.

Vol,
It would be different if we ran the play badly and used it a handful of times a game...but to run it 2 out of 4 downs just kills me&#33;

I agree with your run blocking staement as well...But you have to admit your running game improves if you stretch the field out by going downfield with the pass on occasion.

/R
VOLifornia

I think our run blocking only improves if stop calling the same play over and over and mix it up with some misdirection and even........the draw play. We used to run the draw play way too much and now we have forgotten about it. I know the couple of times I have seen it called this year it has worked.

Originally posted by VOLifornia@Dec 3 2003, 11:58 PM
I agree with your run blocking staement as well...But you have to admit your running game improves if you stretch the field out by going downfield with the pass on occasion.

/R
VOLifornia

Volifornia in my mind you have to be able to do both. You need to throw the ball to setup the run, but you also have to be able to run the ball to setup the pass. Let&#39;s face it, no one is scared of our running game.

I just don&#39;t ever remember a Tennessee team that has struggled this much to run the ball. It&#39;s not even the plays that only gain 2 yards that bother me so much, it&#39;s the 2 yard losses that I see way too much.

VN Store

Back