Oct. 14. 1995

This will be Manning, back to throw. Across the middle. Pass complete. Pulled down at the 35 to the 40, to the 45 to the 50, to the 45 to the 40, to the 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, what did he do? All he did was score! Touchdown, Joey Kent, on Play Number One!

Here's Manning, down into the end zone. That touchdown pass is......GOOOOOOOOOOOD! I knew he had it!

Somebody just lowered the boom, as Burgdorf came out on the option. And it was Leonard Little that just cracked him!

This will be Graham...no it's Manning, on the naked bootleg reverse to the left side! Nobody even knows who's got the ball! Except Peyton Manning! He's got the ball, and where is he? In the end zone for SIX!

This is Manning. Crowd deafening. Handoff Graham. Comes to the near side at the corner. 25, 30. outside 35, 40. 45, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, yes. He went all the way. Is there a marker on the field? There is no marker on the field. TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!

Remember it like it was yesterday.
I do too! Can still hear John Ward’s voice calling it that game was full of Tennessee highlights.

Reactions: Vol Farmer
I was 12 and watched the game on TV with my Dad. Thought it was cool to see the fans in the stands wave the TN state flag after the first TD pass to Kent.

Reactions: House of Neyland
Rewatching this game recently Fulmer def let off the gas in the third and 4th quarter after getting a big lead. We could’ve easily scored 50 or 60 on them.

10/21/67 B'ham #7 Tn. 24 #6 Bama 13
10/19/68 Knox. #8 Tn 10 Bama 9
10/18/69 B"ham #13 Tn 41. Bama 14
10/17/70 Knox. #14 Tn 24. Bama. 0

Bear was the coach all 4 years.
The Power T ruled and life was good.
We never hit the field thinking we would not win.

Dickey had us playing some ball in those days. 1970 was really his team too. I think if he would have stayed he would have been our 2nd greatest coach of all time. Maybe is anyway. He had to build team from ground up.

This will be Manning, back to throw. Across the middle. Pass complete. Pulled down at the 35 to the 40, to the 45 to the 50, to the 45 to the 40, to the 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, what did he do? All he did was score! Touchdown, Joey Kent, on Play Number One!

Here's Manning, down into the end zone. That touchdown pass is......GOOOOOOOOOOOD! I knew he had it!

Somebody just lowered the boom, as Burgdorf came out on the option. And it was Leonard Little that just cracked him!

This will be Graham...no it's Manning, on the naked bootleg reverse to the left side! Nobody even knows who's got the ball! Except Peyton Manning! He's got the ball, and where is he? In the end zone for SIX!

This is Manning. Crowd deafening. Handoff Graham. Comes to the near side at the corner. 25, 30. outside 35, 40. 45, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, yes. He went all the way. Is there a marker on the field? There is no marker on the field. TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!

Remember it like it was yesterday.

Yup. Impossible to have memories of this game without thinking of John Ward.

Reactions: Vol Farmer
There was a lot of frustration leading up to this game. Much like the Florida games in those days we always found a way to lose even when we were the better team. Majors and Fulmer were both way too conservative. 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 were all very close and had we been more aggressive we would have won most of these games. When 95 rolled around with Peyton having a year under his belt I think we all knew that we were going to win big. I remember being very confident about this game. We were so much better than Bama that year it would have been hard for us to lose. Even with our normal blunders.

Dickey had us playing some ball in those days. 1970 was really his team too. I think if he would have stayed he would have been our 2nd greatest coach of all time. Maybe is anyway. He had to build team from ground up.

The entire modern history of the SEC would have been rewritten. AL and Bear never become dominant. FL rise would have been delayed further, bc even though Dickey didn't have wild success there, he laid the groundwork for them becoming relevant. Most importantly TN would probably have the most wins and championships in the SEC.

I sat behind a girder at old Bryant-Denny, but I still managed to see Joey Kent take that down-and-in to the house.

The entire modern history of the SEC would have been rewritten. AL and Bear never become dominant. FL rise would have been delayed further, bc even though Dickey didn't have wild success there, he laid the groundwork for them becoming relevant. Most importantly TN would probably have the most wins and championships in the SEC.

Which coach bolting for their dream job caused more damage? Dickey or Kiffin?

Which coach bolting for their dream job caused more damage? Dickey or Kiffin?

In my opinion Dickey easily. He had TN rebuilt and winning at the highest level. The entire University support system was in place. Kiffin without a strong AD was not going to work long term.

So the last time the Volunteers defeated the Crimson Tide was when Blockbuster was still an existing big business, the fast Internet didn't exist, Encarta the free Encyclopedia was being used, Michael Jordan was learning the hard way that he stinks as a Baseball player, WCW was competing with WWF, the College World Series was being played at Rosenblatt Stadium, etc.

VN Store

Back