O-line next season

Hall has not had ACL surgery yet which makes one believe thst he will likely hang it up. He obviously won't be ready for spring if he had it now and may not be ready for fall. I think he has chronic knee issues.

Locklear and Johnson are promising players but that's about it to go with Smith. Vols desperately need OL guys which makes losing Mays so tough. He would start Day 1 at left or right tackle. Richmond is a bust.

Josh Smith had the penalty on Chandlers TD run, not an offensive linemen. Very stupid penalty. He had to see chandler was by the guy and he grabs him just the same. I hate he got hurt but really don't care to see him play anymore.

Our O-line is in need of great repair, at least that is what I'm seeing. I'm sure a large part of the problem is coaching, with that said, do we have any "Up and Comers" that can/will make a difference from game one?
Play calling doesn't seem to have helped, but we need some serious improvement. What have others seen? This year is shot, is there any help on the way?
:hi:

I just watched play by play, our linemen are garbage, im not sure they are even being coached. They looked like High school kids.

Usually takes 2-3 years to build trenches from a bad situation. We had a depleted O-line situation when Kirby brought Chaney and Pittman with him. You could tell last year that the O-line was a WIP. They paid off earlier than expected. We're still not the dominating O-line that we need to be, but we're close. Takes good talent and depth. Can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

It's astonishing to see the quantum leap UGA has taken in a year's time. Significant steps forward in all phases of the game. Clearly Kirby is laying the Saban template over the program in Athens. I also think the smartest thing he's done is it looks like he's gotten out of Chaney's way and let him have a lot of latitude while still running an offense that Kirby wants to see. Am I wrong? You can look at Bama and Georgia, maybe a few other teams around the country and just see a very different mindset in those teams, their HC/Admin and their approach to the job vs. the mindset of CBJ and other coaches like him. This is where Tennessee continually misses the mark. Our administration has a problem evaluating and attracting top coaches along with a serious failure in understanding the situation around them. Good luck to the Dawgs going forward.

It hurt losing Jack Jones and Boulware in addition to the seniors this year.

This is a poorly performing O-Line, but we had the pieces a good coach needs for success. We will lose coleman thomas, jashon robertson, brett kendrick, jack jones and Venzell Boulware. Thats a ton of starts, and versatility.

Thats essentially an entire starting lineup.

We will have no guards with experience coming back, other than trey smith, who eventually may have wanted a look at tackle. We have only tackles.

Chance Hall will be coming back, you got Drew Richmond, Marcus "Pillow Top" Tatum and Ryan Johnson has had a look at guard lately and he will stay there.

Other than that the only scholarship lineman are Nathan Niehaus, Krojan Calbert, Riley Locklear, and Devante Brooks.

Thats it. Cade Mays was a must get.

We need a class of nothing but lineman on both sides cuz we lose the entire defensive front and almost all reserves next year. If hes on our roster and listed anywhere on defensive line, chances are he graduates in 2018. Its the final year for kongbo, kyle phillips, Shy tuttle, K-mac, alexis johnson, quay picou and others.

So 2018 a good defense will be sabotaged by a inept undermanned offensive line. And after 2018 we have a complete rebuild on our hands.

Yay butch thanks.
Damn this is a good post! The news is not good, but the info is terrific-thanks for sharing.:hi:

Mckenzie is a bust.. he gets blown off the line and most team run right over him

But remember all the clips of him tossing kids around during the Nike camps? He was simply unstoppable. A beast! Same for kongbo. Guy was a physical freak. Only worry was him hurting an opponent or leaving for the NFL early. Funny how these 5star beasts the internet kiddies go wild over turn out sometimes.

As for Mac, he's built to be an offensive guard. With that backside and those legs, he needs to be on the other side of the ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Both our lines are huge disappointments. Very little talent or at least over rated or under developed. Won't miss any of the OL. Still think Mac needs to be at guard and hope to see Smith moved to tackle. That would help one side of the line. Kendrick and Richmond are soft and a real liability. The new coach...assuming we make a change, will likely need to get some help from the juco ranks.

Completely agree. Think about the two top teams in the SEC right now, Bama and Georgia. Would any of our starting OL or DL be regular starters at either of those schools? No they would not.

We not only need a HC change, but almost an entire coaching overhaul.

This is what we will have returning:

Chance Hall; 6'5", 315 Sr, 4*
Drew Richmond; 6'5" 309 Jr, 5*
Nathan Niehaus; 6'6" 285 Jr 3*
Marcus Tatum; 6'6" 281 Jr 4*
Devante Brooks; 6'5" 282 So 4*
Riley Locklear; 6'5" 305 So, 3*
Trey Smith; 6'6" 320 So, 5*
Ryan Johnson; 6'6" 300 So, 4*
K'Rojhn Calvert; 6'4" 312 So, 3*

It's astonishing to see the quantum leap UGA has taken in a year's time. Significant steps forward in all phases of the game. Clearly Kirby is laying the Saban template over the program in Athens. I also think the smartest thing he's done is it looks like he's gotten out of Chaney's way and let him have a lot of latitude while still running an offense that Kirby wants to see. Am I wrong? You can look at Bama and Georgia, maybe a few other teams around the country and just see a very different mindset in those teams, their HC/Admin and their approach to the job vs. the mindset of CBJ and other coaches like him. This is where Tennessee continually misses the mark. Our administration has a problem evaluating and attracting top coaches along with a serious failure in understanding the situation around them. Good luck to the Dawgs going forward.

Good post, thanks! I was on the fence about Chaney. I wasn't sold on his history. This past offseason he says he did some soul searching and tweaked some things. Didn't hurt that he had some depth at the LOS and a stable of good RBs. But I still didn't think we'd run the ball like we have so far. Big tests will be Auburn and Bama (if we make it). Fromm will really be tested, IMHO.

I expect UT to make a home run hire next. The fanbase won't accept anything less.

The second best offensive lineman on the team is playing defensive tackle and making about 1 tackle per game. Move him to guard and you have the two most talented guards in the SEC. Tackle is the problem. There is not an SEC level OT in the program and it takes a little time to develop one. May find one in JUCO but it may take a while to find one.

With this being the case, i still don't know why they continue to keep JG in the pocket when he has no pocket presence and the OT's have a hard time even slowing down the DEs. At any rate, next year, the Vols could have a strong running game up the middle but in passing downs will need to move the pocket and/or give the OTs some help with a back and/or TE chipping on the edge.

Kiffin's OL was patchwork... and played better than the four Jones has created. Except for Dooley's first year, his OL's were better including the one Jones inherited.

UGA has a very good OL.. with a couple of Fr starting.

UT has bodies. They'll have some good players coming back. There will still be time to close the deal with a couple of good recruits.

The question is coaching and scheme. And those are the reasons Jones must go.

Kiffin's OL was patchwork... and played better than the four Jones has created. Except for Dooley's first year, his OL's were better including the one Jones inherited.

UGA has a very good OL.. with a couple of Fr starting.

UT has bodies. They'll have some good players coming back. There will still be time to close the deal with a couple of good recruits.

The question is coaching and scheme. And those are the reasons Jones must go.

Agree a million %

An absolute mess outside of Smith.

Good post, thanks! I was on the fence about Chaney. I wasn't sold on his history. This past offseason he says he did some soul searching and tweaked some things. Didn't hurt that he had some depth at the LOS and a stable of good RBs. But I still didn't think we'd run the ball like we have so far. Big tests will be Auburn and Bama (if we make it). Fromm will really be tested, IMHO.

I expect UT to make a home run hire next. The fanbase won't accept anything less.

The likelihood we make a “homerun here” is virtually zero. And unfortunately, we’ll accept anything they give us because we’re hopelessly desperate.

The second best offensive lineman on the team is playing defensive tackle and making about 1 tackle per game. Move him to guard and you have the two most talented guards in the SEC. Tackle is the problem. There is not an SEC level OT in the program and it takes a little time to develop one. May find one in JUCO but it may take a while to find one.

With this being the case, i still don't know why they continue to keep JG in the pocket when he has no pocket presence and the OT's have a hard time even slowing down the DEs. At any rate, next year, the Vols could have a strong running game up the middle but in passing downs will need to move the pocket and/or give the OTs some help with a back and/or TE chipping on the edge.

You must be talking about Khalil McKenzie...how many sacks did Richmond give up alone last night? You would have thought they were playing Clemson’s DL and not Kentucky.

I think whoever they hire to replace Butch is going to have some work to do on the recruiting front. The narrative that the cupboard is full is misleading. It’s full at the skill positions but outside of Trey Smith we don’t have a SEC caliber Offensive Lineman. We also have one of the worst pash rushes in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person

Yep the roster tells the truth.

No wonder Butch wants out so bad

Hall has not had ACL surgery yet which makes one believe thst he will likely hang it up. He obviously won't be ready for spring if he had it now and may not be ready for fall. I think he has chronic knee issues.

Locklear and Johnson are promising players but that's about it to go with Smith. Vols desperately need OL guys which makes losing Mays so tough. He would start Day 1 at left or right tackle. Richmond is a bust.

Josh Smith had the penalty on Chandlers TD run, not an offensive linemen. Very stupid penalty. He had to see chandler was by the guy and he grabs him just the same. I hate he got hurt but really don't care to see him play anymore.

Oh well dang. If Chance Hall hasnt had surgery yet, then that in itself is terrible news.

As far as Chandler's run, I could've punched josh smith in the leg for the brain dead hold. Pointless, and he's supposed to be a senior leader. He's regressed so much in his career. Used to be a reliable receiver.

VN Store

Back