'21 NY QB Jack Coan (Wisconsin Grad Transfer)

This would be a serious upgrade from what we’ve had.
Coan threw 18 tds in 14 games, 7 of his 18tds came against the 3 g5 teams they played. If you project Baileys stats over a 14 game season his numbers would be much better than Coan's. Bailey has played the equivalent of basically 2 games.

Reactions: wagilliam
Coan threw 18 tds in 14 games, 7 of his 18tds came against the 3 g5 teams they played. If you project Baileys stats over a 14 game season his numbers would be much better than Coan's. Bailey has played the equivalent of basically 2 games.
Coan is not good. I hope we don’t waste a spot on him. Bailey should be starter but I wouldn’t mind bringing in Hilinski to push him. Let Salter redshirt.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Coan is not good. I hope we don’t waste a spot on him. Bailey should be starter but I wouldn’t mind bringing in Hilinski to push him. Let Salter redshirt.
We just need a body that’s serviceable if worse comes to worse. Hilinski is just another dude who couldnt win or hold on to the starter spot, at SCjr no less.

We just need a body that’s serviceable if worse comes to worse. Hilinski is just another dude who couldnt win or hold on to the starter spot, at SCjr no less.
Problem is Coan is JG 2.0. Game manager and very average to bad. Never asked to do much. I’m afraid they bring him in to start and Bailey transfers. I could totally see Pruitt wanting this guy as he knows nothing about choosing a QB. Fans would hate him by Pitt. Hilinski played a lot as a freshmen and did well. Should have started this year but Bobo insisted on Hill who is not good. Hilinski has a lot of talent. I pray we don’t take a shot on him.

Reactions: RiotVol

He was in a pro style offense that ran 70% of the time. The RB he was handing to is the currently the Colts best offensive weapon as a rookie. He didn’t put up big stats because he wasn’t asked to. Dude knows how to win. Went 10-4 as a starter and it could’ve been 11-2. Only time he got beat down was against an Ohio State team that was a total mismatch, and he played way better against them the 2nd time around. Also, when’s the last time we had a QB that had experience playing in a conference title game and a NY6 bowl?? Also forgot to include he had 4 or 5 rushing TDs

Reactions: nesbuddha66
Problem is Coan is JG 2.0. Game manager and very average to bad. Never asked to do much. I’m afraid they bring him in to start and Bailey transfers. I could totally see Pruitt wanting this guy as he knows nothing about choosing a QB. Fans would hate him by Pitt. Hilinski played a lot as a freshmen and did well. Should have started this year but Bobo insisted on Hill who is not good. Hilinski has a lot of talent. I pray we don’t take a shot on him.
Coan doesn’t throw to the other team much at all, has NFL level awareness and knows when to get rid of the ball, throws 70% comp pct with most of these being down the field and not on BS screen passes, and he is 11-4 as a starter while JG is 12-20 or some terrible number.

And this isn’t even my first choice. They should go after Hendon Hooker first, but Coan is not at all a bad QB. He’s a day 3 NFL draft pick when healthy. Idk if you’re watching the same QB

He was in a pro style offense that ran 70% of the time. The RB he was handing to is the currently the Colts best offensive weapon as a rookie. He didn’t put up big stats because he wasn’t asked to. Dude knows how to win. Went 10-4 as a starter and it could’ve been 11-2. Only time he got beat down was against an Ohio State team that was a total mismatch, and he played way better against them the 2nd time around. Also, when’s the last time we had a QB that had experience playing in a conference title game and a NY6 bowl?? Also forgot to include he had 4 or 5 rushing TDs
Games where he did have to throw they lost. He was 1-3 when he had to throw more than 25 times and the only win of those games was vs Central Michigan.

Games where he did have to throw they lost. He was 1-3 when he had to throw more than 25 times and the only win of those games was vs Central Michigan.
and in those games Wisconsin

-lost by 1 point to Illinois because of the defense letting up at the end
-lost by 1 point to Oregon
-lost by 13 to an Ohio State team that they were completely outmatched against

And he won’t be asked to throw 25+ times a game here either. We all know the offense is run first. We have multiple goos RBs now, not just 1.

Coan doesn’t throw to the other team much at all, has NFL level awareness and knows when to get rid of the ball, throws 70% comp pct with most of these being down the field and not on BS screen passes, and he is 11-4 as a starter while JG is 12-20 or some terrible number.

And this isn’t even my first choice. They should go after Hendon Hooker first, but Coan is not at all a bad QB. He’s a day 3 NFL draft pick when healthy. Idk if you’re watching the same QB
Plenty and a family friend is a booster there. They do not like Coan. If he was so great, he would have gone back. He is very average and not a draft pick. If he was, he would be going in the draft.

and in those games Wisconsin

-lost by 1 point to Illinois because of the defense letting up at the end
-lost by 1 point to Oregon
-lost by 13 to an Ohio State team that they were completely outmatched against

And he won’t be asked to throw 25+ times a game here either. We all know the offense is run first. We have multiple goos RBs now, not just 1.
He’s a very average QB who would hopefully sit bench behind Bailey and Salter. Would rather go after a couple others before him. We need a game changer at QB. Not another JG game manager. His stats don’t impress me when you play big ten competition. They should be a lot more.

Only 8 picks. I would definitely take him over the Tx kid, Zappe, or Helinkski. Fact is we have no idea if HB will be better than this guy. Pruitt would be foolish not to offer him.

We mentioned Wisconsin transfer quarterback Jack Coan as a possible candidate to add to the quarterback room on Wednesday. He suffered a lisfranc injury which is why he lost his job with the Badgers. Notre Dame, Kentucky and Rutgers have all reached out to him and are contenders but we feel like the Vols have a better than solid shot here. He has a decent relationship with Joe Osovet giving the Vols an in.
-VQ

Only 8 picks. I would definitely take him over the Tx kid, Zappe, or Helinkski. Fact is we have no idea if HB will be better than this guy. Pruitt would be foolish not to offer him.
Bailey is better than this guy. I’ve watched him play many times. He is JG 2.0. Average QB. Save the scholarship.

Agree completely as the QB position needs competition just like every other position on the team. This guy has pocket presence and accuracy with his nearly 70% completion%. In 2019, he was the #9 ranked QB in the nation with a QBR of 82. This guy should be welcomed with open arms into our QB room and may the best person win the job in 2021.

This kid is from the town right down the road from me... 10 minutes away. Really small town. They are very proud of him for being a high level recruit from a few years ago

Agree completely as the QB position needs competition just like every other position on the team. This guy has pocket presence and accuracy with his nearly 70% completion%. In 2019, he was the #9 ranked QB in the nation with a QBR of 82. This guy should be welcomed with open arms into our QB room and may the best person win the job in 2021.
He would be the worst QB in our QB room right now. And throwing out his completion % is like looking at JG’s %. Look at yards and TDs. I’ve watched him many times and Wisconsin people do not care. I would rather roll with Bailey and Salter all year and bring in an extra rusher.

He would be the worst QB in our QB room right now. And throwing out his completion % is like looking at JG’s %. Look at yards and TDs. I’ve watched him many times and Wisconsin people do not care. I would rather roll with Bailey and Salter all year and bring in an extra rusher.
Is he dating your ex gf or something? You have been dumping on this kid.

10 tds 4 ints in 10 Big 10 games last season. 1843 yards for 184 ypg.

Several articles mention Northwestern as a destination for him. Ramsey is a SR and he would come in and start right away more than likely.

Last edited:
The biggest reason you take this kid is for insurance and back up IMO, just like we did with Chryst and hope HB or Salter plays so well you never have to play him...and/or hope we don't have an injury at the QB position. But if HB or Salter does get hurt or doesn't pan out, you have an option behind them, and its a heckuva whole lot better than #2.

Reactions: DarthVol1
Not sure why everyone assumes they are looking for a QB to start over HB or KS. With only 2 QBs, we need bodies at this point. Get a decent guy that could play if he has to. Holiday can be the 4th as emergency QB.

VN Store

Back