'20 NV TE Darnell Washington (UGA commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visiting UT end of this month for cookout...

It's been a few months since Las Vegas tight end Darnell Washington visited Knoxville earlier this spring. With summer in full burn, Washington told Volquest that he is set to get back to Rocky Top when the dead period lifts at the end of the month. "I like Tennessee because how they treat everyone like family," Washington said. "I like how they say they will use me. Those are the reasons I'm interested in Tennessee."

Maybe the biggest reason that Washington is set for another look at the orange and white is his relationship with tight ends coach Brian Niedermeyer. Those two hit it off when Niedermeyer first got to Tennessee and it's only grown since then. "We just talk about everything," Washington said. "We talk about how my family is doing. We talk about football and how they would use me. Sometimes we just talk to check up on me and see what's going on."

Then there is head coach Jeremy Pruitt, who has routinely found himself on FaceTime calls with the highly coveted athlete. "We have a connection," Washington said. "Coach Pruitt and I have always had that from the first time we spoke at least from my point of view." Washington visited the last time with his mom. Washington says that she liked her visit to Knoxville, but when it comes to a decision, he will make that call on his own.

"I hear where she is coming from, but she doesn't know anything about sports like that so her impact is small," Washington said. "I'm really doing this all on my own. The decision is going to be mine and not what I'm hearing from my family, friends and coaches."

So what is the 6-foot-7 and 260 pound Washington looking for in a future football home? "I want a school that can get me the ball," Washington said. "A place that I fit in at where you won't want to transfer or anything like that. I want a school that I like and when I get there and put in the work, I can go to the next level." Washington has a unique skill set at his size and speed. It's why teams like Georgia, Alabama, Miami, Texas A&M and others have joined Tennessee in the race to land him.

"When I said it's all my decision, I say that because I want to do what's best for me. I'm not going to listen to anyone because I have done all this on my own. I want to keep on doing it on my own. I'm not going to pick a school just because it's stacked with top recruits. I'm going to be pick a school based off who can develop me and get me to the NFL the fastest." As for a decision, Washington is planning on announcing at the Under Armor game in Orlando, but that by no means is set in stone. "If I don't do it then, I'll just tweet it out," Washington said.

-VQ

I swear if Neds lands these guys he needs a serious pay bump. I mean if you want to land the best you have to keep the best coaches around. I think anytime Neds is the lead on big time recruits we have a shot.

Highest paid TE coach in the country plus more for what he is starting to establish here. At this point, we also need to make him do as much media and web "marketing" as possible that we can.

Highest paid TE coach in the country plus more for what he is starting to establish here. At this point, we also need to make him do as much media and web "marketing" as possible that we can.

How much is his salary? 247 only shows 200k?

I was saying you make him the highest paid, $205,000 currently, contract expires after season. By highest I mean well above next closest guy plus some more.
Ahh, yeah, easy ways to get him raises is just adding titles. He’s prob the best recruiting coach, position wise at TN.

Callahan confirms Washington is visiting (sort of). Be interesting which days he is where.
He’s planning to go to Georgia that weekend, so not exactly sure what day(s) he’ll be at Tennessee.

I was saying you make him the highest paid, $205,000 currently, contract expires after season. By highest I mean well above next closest guy plus some more.
He’ll get way more than that...cuz recruiting.

This kids gonna be a star,really hope we can land him.Hes got future first rd potential written all over him,Plus sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.Every athlete now n days is big and strong especially in the NFL,it’s those lil things you do that set u apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back