NV: Spurrier mad league quits at mid season

This summer league stuff has been done over & over; and Failed Every Time! WHEN will they learn? To lose 250 Million Dollars? (One owner did) That's a special kind of stupid. Spurrier let's his ego get in the way of common sense. I guess as long as it's not HIS Money!! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: VolAllen
The XFL has got to be panicking right about now. It's kind of too late for them to back out now.
I actually enjoyed the AAF, but get why it didn't succeed. I didn't go to a game or anything, but I watched quite a bit. It was about like watching a slightly more interesting 4th preseason NFL game.

This summer league stuff has been done over & over; and Failed Every Time! WHEN will they learn? To lose 60+ Million Dollars? (One owner did) That's a special kind of stupid. Spurrier let's his ego get in the way of common sense. I guess as long as it's not HIS Money!! lol
XFL next up to bat... Again.

On a side note, I think it's funny people act like there's this super high demand for a league willing to pay 18-21 year olds as professionals.

Opinions on whether college athletes should get paid aside... We just saw dudes yesterday getting evicted from Motel 6 with no money to get home. Meanwhile, there is a 3 star linebacker living like a king on the beach at USC with room & board, food, insurance, and training facilities all paid for. All while letting some of the best football coaches in the country coach them. And yet there are still people who will insist that getting paid bread crumbs in a league with no money is a no brainer compared to being an amateur athlete for 3 years.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Next up for failure the New XFL.
Man there are a bunch of insanely rich people in this country who can throw money around. People struggling everyday to make ends meet and then we have this. How about taking that 250 million that was invested just to make payroll and invest it in your local community.

Stevie Boy just wants to be named Champs !! ROTF!! He is an example of a guy who grew up with everything going HIS way and has Never developed ANY Class OR Humility. I mean really. I've tried to like SS, he is a Tennessee Native; but comments like that make it difficult.

XFL next up to bat... Again.

On a side note, I think it's funny people act like there's this super high demand for a league willing to pay 18-21 year olds as professionals.

Opinions on whether college athletes get paid aside... We just saw dudes yesterday getting evicted from Motel 6 with no money to get home. Meanwhile, there is a 3 star linebacker living like a king on the beach at USC with room & board, food, insurance, and training facilities all paid for. All while letting some of the best football coaches in the country coach them. And yet there are still people who will insist that getting paid bread crumbs in a league with no money is a no brainer compared to being an amateur athlete for 3 years.

Not all people have the same options, Ten. Life has many paths and some paths either lack direction signs or the signs are misleading, intentionally or otherwise. Frankly, Ten, sometimes even the maps are wrong. Just ask some of our players who had their talents and opportunities squandered under our subpar coaches post-Fulmer. And those who, yea, despite the curses a number of our fanbase, fortunately, fled and flourished elsewhere. The unlucky ones just tried to make the best of a bad or hopeless situation. Walk a few miles in their shoes, come back and talk to us again.

Next up for failure the New XFL.
Man there are a bunch of insanely rich people in this country who can throw money around. People struggling everyday to make ends meet and then we have this. How about taking that 250 million that was invested just to make payroll and invest it in your local community.

It’s their money, so they spend it how they see fit. That’s kind of how it works here in the United States...

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
According to some reports, it's not folding because of a lack of interest but because of negotiations with the NFLPA regarding allowing active NFL players and practice squad players to play in it.

Why is the AAF folding? Who to blame for Alliance of American Football's collapse

Stupid proposition to begin with. The NFL isn't going to have its players, practice squad "on the bubble" types or not, playing year-round. The wear and tear on the body would be too much. If that was the AAF's angle, to be a bonafide development league, it should have built an actual rapport with the NFL and at least functioned in-season.

All of that should have been discussed and handled before the 1st game was ever played. This was ultimately a clusterf*** that was rushed to the production line, probably trying to get out in front of the XFL.

The only way one of these start-up football leagues will ever work is if it's directly operated and sponsored by the NFL. That's the only reason NFL Europe lasted nearly 20 years.

It’s their money, so they spend it how they see fit. That’s kind of how it works here in the United States...

I got that bruh, I spend my as I see fit but I don't toss it out the window knowing damn well I'll never see it again. Of course I 'm not a multi millionaire who has enough to toss out the window.

Who really thought this would be a success? The XFL will fail again as well, mark it down.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
The only way one of these start-up football leagues will ever work is if it's directly operated and sponsored by the NFL. That's the only reason NFL Europe lasted nearly 20 years.
The USFL could have been successful, and had decent early success. The problem was Trump and his persistence to move it to the fall and go up against the NFL

The USFL could have been successful, and had decent early success. The problem was Trump and his persistence to move it to the fall and go up against the NFL

Well of course it was Trump's fault. Isn't everything? Global warming, Gas prices, Border invasions; oh sorry. Wrong forum.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe

What he means is "As long as the NFL is invested ; and not attempting to snuff these fledgling leagues out before they MIGHT have a chance."

Spurrier doesn't need the money. I have to believe he was doing it just for the fun of it.

USFL was probably the closest anyone has ever come, post-merger, to breaking up the NFL's monopoly on American football and it only lasted what, like 3 years? It also competed against an NFL that wasn't nearly as financially dominant back in the 80's as it is now. I would argue the main reason the USFL experienced what little success it did was because it was able to attract some actual elite talent, which these new leagues really don't have a chance in hell of doing.

This summer league stuff has been done over & over; and Failed Every Time! WHEN will they learn? To lose 250 Million Dollars? (One owner did) That's a special kind of stupid. Spurrier let's his ego get in the way of common sense. I guess as long as it's not HIS Money!! lol
Spring*

USFL was probably the closest anyone has ever come, post-merger, to breaking up the NFL's monopoly on American football and it only lasted what, like 3 years? It also competed against an NFL that wasn't nearly as financially dominant back in the 80's as it is now. I would argue the main reason the USFL experienced what little success it did was because it was able to attract some actual elite talent, which these new leagues really don't have a chance in hell of doing.
The USFL's problem was two fold.

1. It wanted to move to the fall for '86
2. They sued the NFL

VN Store

Back