‘23 NV RB Will Stallings

Lol, maybe was an off day for him?!
Lots of kids seemed to have had traction issues.
One thing I did see him do, more than anyone, was cut the wrong way into the blocking dummy coach Mack was using as a defender. Ran right into him 3-4 times that I saw.
If his instinct is to force rather than evade contact, maybe he will end up at LB.

I don't know if Stallings runs track but Tillman's dad is Bishop Gorman's track coach

Great tie there. Incredibly impressive young man and while he's neither a burner nor is he the shiftiest (from watching highlights and from both AP's and RC's comments about his lateral quickness at the camp) he looks to play fast and is a big fella.

Not sure I see how Roderick Robinson, another West Coast-based "big back" is at all better.

If his instinct is to force rather than evade contact, maybe he will end up at LB.
There’s not really a way to say this w/o sounding negative, but that didn’t appear to be the case. Coach Mack held the dummy straight up, the drill was to run pads, then at the dummy and cut off of which way he moved the dummy last minute.
Regardless, the coaching staff sees potential in him, good enough for us! The kid was definitely physically impressive. 220 and probably 5-6%bf!

AP thinks he’s the back in this class, per todays pod.

I'm more than fine with that, FTR. Would be ideal to have a "lightning" complement, but the kid is a beast. Super motivated, obviously a great family, and comes from a powerhouse program that a) will be great to continue ties with along with Ced Tillman, and b) likely means he's ready for college.

I do wonder what his timeline is, since he'll likely for sure need to get back here (likely for an OV) for a proper tour/visit since by all accounts he just did the camp.

Reactions: bigl3327
That's a big back. I think we will still bring in a transfer or another piece like Seldon before next season.

Moves well for a youngin his size. Doesn't go down easy as well..

That's a big back. I think we will still bring in a transfer or another piece like Seldon before next season.
Seldon will primarily be a WR. He will be the type of guy you can play outside, in the slot, and occasionally move into the backfield. I know the idea of having a 6'1" 220lb running back with 4.3 speed leaves people drooling, but he wants to play WR and will be a serious match up nightmare in that role. He's too fast for linebackers to cover and too strong and physical for DB's to handle. He'll actually be the roughly the same size as Heupel's top receiver at UCF, Marlon Williams. Except, he'll be a freshman and already way more explosive.

Seldon will primarily be a WR. He will be the type of guy you can play outside, in the slot, and occasionally move into the backfield. I know the idea of having a 6'1" 220lb running back with 4.3 speed leaves people drooling, but he wants to play WR and will be a serious match up nightmare in that role. He's too fast for linebackers to cover and too strong and physical for DB's to handle. He'll actually be the roughly the same size as Heupel's top receiver at UCF, Marlon Williams. Except, he'll be a freshman and already way more explosive.

Being full honest here. He's not as agile or quick as youd like a WR to be.
Strength helps after you get in your route, but quickness and good hands are vital when getting off the line. Bryce Thompson was 185 Ibs and he was always throwing big WRs of timing.

Now at RB-in our offense- it's one cut and downhill or just straight down hill.
The Kendall boy actually looks more agile in route running and laterally. Seldon as we know has the game breaking speed tho. And that is what our backfield needs. Speed with Power in one back. A Hammer that you get tired of tackling and then eventually you take bad angle and takes it to the house!

Seldon is a big body....Someone that if he started hitting the weights hard could easily be 6'1 240...

I think he's already 220. So if he wants to be a WR, he needs to work on quickness and lateral movement. Our WRs do that a lot actually during practice. The type of drills they do. You can see it in how theyve helped Tillman become more elusive.

I would assume this kid would be an asset in pass blocking also.

Being full honest here. He's not as agile or quick as youd like a WR to be.
Strength helps after you get in your route, but quickness and good hands are vital when getting off the line. Bryce Thompson was 185 Ibs and he was always throwing big WRs of timing.

Now at RB-in our offense- it's one cut and downhill or just straight down hill.
The Kendall boy actually looks more agile in route running and laterally. Seldon as we know has the game breaking speed tho. And that is what our backfield needs. Speed with Power in one back. A Hammer that you get tired of tackling and then eventually you take bad angle and takes it to the house!

Seldon is a big body....Someone that if he started hitting the weights hard could easily be 6'1 240...

I think he's already 220. So if he wants to be a WR, he needs to work on quickness and lateral movement. Our WRs do that a lot actually during practice. The type of drills they do. You can see it in how theyve helped Tillman become more elusive.
AJ Brown looks like a RB. A lot of the things you've mentioned, he hasn't had to work on because he's so dominant athletically. Once he's on a college campus, working his craft everyday, he'll be just fine. I would love for him to be in the RB room, but I'm sure there's a reason that the kid has emphasized wanting to play WR.

AJ Brown looks like a RB. A lot of the things you've mentioned, he hasn't had to work on because he's so dominant athletically. Once he's on a college campus, working his craft everyday, he'll be just fine. I would love for him to be in the RB room, but I'm sure there's a reason that the kid has emphasized wanting to play WR.

Namdi Asomugha was a tall safety turned CB.
He also had to kind of fight against his own "build". So he just made sure to just work on his agility a lot.

My critique is not to put a ceiling on Seldon.
Just saying if wants to be a WR he has some work to do. And it's not always about height and weight. In terms of how a guy just moves naturally...

We can go on all day about this, but if he wants to play WR than I'm confident our coaches will give him every opportunity same as Cam Miller, or Holiday.

I think he's a dynamic guy who can score TDs from anywhere you put him. Who cares what position? Just get him here and get the ball in his hands and I think we'll have a lot of success.
Seldon cares. So do we.
People have differences of opinion .
It's called having a discussion...

Namdi Asomugha was a tall safety turned CB.
He also had to kind of fight against his own "build". So he just made sure to just work on his agility a lot.

My critique is not to put a ceiling on Seldon.
Just saying if wants to be a WR he has some work to do. And it's not always about height and weight. In terms of how a guy just moves naturally...

We can go on all day about this, but if he wants to play WR than I'm confident our coaches will give him every opportunity same as Cam Miller, or Holiday.
I tend to comment on individual cases. Holiday wanted to play QB. That was never going to happen. Miller was considered an athlete by many in the industry, and it appears he's willing to do what's necessary to see playing time as early as possible. Seldon is rated much higher than either of those guys. He may arrive on campus somewhere and say "I just want to play football". I just know he has openly expressed being a WR. While it might not work out in certain offenses, it is definitely feasible in Heupel's offense. Not only to stay at WR, but thrive in the position.

VN Store

Back