Notice of Allegations received today Friday 7/22

Both were the wrong choice. Not too hard for most of us to understand. Just add Schitano to the list.

But, the fans demanded someone other than Schiano and they got it.
Schiano wouldn't have done anything great but he wouldn't have lost to GSU and he wouldn't have left the program with all of the mess.

Quite possibly one of the dumbest posts I’ve seen on here. Well done. I would’ve imagined anyone with two brain cells could figure out neither Pruitt nor Schiano was the solution.

You didn't understand the point, which was that the fans demanded Schiano not be hired and they got their wish. Most supported the Pruitt hire.

The way the NCAA praised us leads me to believe it's over. If they drop the hammer on us after praising our transparncy no school will ever coroperate with them again. They are loosing power by the day and they know it. They don't dare bite without teeth.

BS. You didn’t know Jack.

You're right, BOT, hog88 despite claiming membership in the Cult of Prophetic Poop, didn't know his Cottonelle tissue wasn't recycled, rather than being reused. However, in his (gagging) defense, I had suspicions myself when we scored only 24pts against UTEP. Still, I sort of dismissed it because we didn't really have a lot of SEC level players, and the coach was new as well as new to being a HC. Growing pains, I called it. The next year, the Georgia State game was an Aooga air horn blast for me. And yet, I still figured after the bowl game (like many others) there was hope. Then, of course, Pruitt & Co. pulled off their Bama-ization recruiting $cheme. There were prior unsubstantiated mumbling that Eric Gray was among the first to receive, uh, MacDonald's catering service. But unlike hogg88, I'm not a certificate-holding member of the CoPP. ;)

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
But, the fans demanded someone other than Schiano and they got it.
Schiano wouldn't have done anything great but he wouldn't have lost to GSU and he wouldn't have left the program with all of the mess.

Whatta revolting development! Have you seen that guy's performance at Rutgers? Have you? Huh, havya?
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

There are some very negative Vols fans attempting to take a bow (yet again) in this thread for having "predicted that Pruitt was no good" (or words to that effect).

But here's the thing: if you're negative all the friggin' time, you're going to be "right" sometimes without ever really being right. Coach didn't work out, or even worse? See, I was right. No, you were just negative. You didn't know anything more than the rest of us, you were just negative.

The guy who puts a chip on '00' every single spin at the roulette table isn't suddenly a genius if the ball lands in the '00' pocket three years later.

~ ~ ~​

Another group of folks are, in this thread and another that I refuse to contribute to, claiming the Tennessee fan base was wrong to reject Schiano and get Currie fired back in 2018. Some are saying "look at the Notice of Allegations from the NCAA; see, see, this is what you get because rejecting Schiano and getting Currie fired led directly to Fulmer AD led directly to Pruitt head coach."

No. That's illogical. Rejecting Schiano was the right thing to do no matter what else followed. Both because he was possibly (not for sure, but quite possibly) a pedophile enabler at Penn State, and because he's not a very good coach.

Folks without a moral compass have trouble understanding people who do have strong values. They tend to look for the "real reasons" behind a values-based decision. They think it's just a fig leaf. In that way, cretins like Pat Forde (and a few folks on these boards) give away their lack of a moral foundation to their character.

Rejecting Schiano for the moral reason wasn't a condemnation of the man. We don't know for sure whether the rumors about his complicity were true. We only know that it is possible they were true, and we do not want a great program and university like Tennessee associated with that. We're not trying to hang Schiano...only keep him away from our lads and lasses, just in case. That's reasonable. It's logical.

But folks without a moral compass can't see that. So they convince themselves that it's really about him not being a good coach.

Okay, we can go there too, because that's also a very good reason to reject Schiano. He's not a very good coach. His weak leadership became evident during his brief NFL stint. He is apparently acerbic, builds drama and dissention in the locker room. Can't brook any authority other than his own; he's an autocrat. Not a good man to have around young adults, teaching them how to grow into greatness. You have to model greatness to lead others to it. Schiano is not capable of that.

And then, finally and most baldly, the man isn't very good at winning football games. This is the point where Herbstreit and other supporters' minds immediately go to that one magical 11-2 season at Rutgers, back in 2006. You know, the season he tied for 2nd. In the Big East conference.

Fact is, Schiano's record as a head coach at Rutgers, even the first time around, the lauded time, was just 68-67. One game above .500. Take out the magical 11-2 year, and what's left? That's not a championship coach, it's a mediocre coach in a mediocre conference. Butch Jones has stronger credentials than that.

And since then, it has been nothing but downhill for Greg. 11-21 in Tampa Bay, along with the already-mentioned locker room drama. And since his return to Rutgers, 8-14. He went 3-6 in his first season, but okay that was his first year, and on top of which it was the Covid year. A weird season to be sure. So give the man a mulligan for that. How about his second season? 5-8. Even Jeremy Pruitt was able to muster 8 wins in his second season. Schiano couldn't even come close to Pruitt.

So if we reject Pruitt, whose second season was three games stronger than Schiano's, you think we're going to now look back with regret for not accepting Greg?

Please.

Only a fool argues, "see what you got, Tennessee, you rejected Schianio and now just see what you got." Only a fool.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
The way the NCAA praised us leads me to believe it's over. If they drop the hammer on us after praising our transparncy no school will ever coroperate with them again. They are loosing power by the day and they know it. They don't dare bite without teeth.
What about the media damage? Really could care less about the NCAA, ESPN is having a field day!

There are some very negative Vols fans attempting to take a bow (yet again) in this thread for having "predicted that Pruitt was no good" (or words to that effect).

But here's the thing: if you're negative all the friggin' time, you're going to be "right" sometimes without ever really being right. Coach didn't work out, or even worse? See, I was right. No, you were just negative. You didn't know anything more than the rest of us, you were just negative.

The guy who puts a chip on '00' every single spin at the roulette table isn't suddenly a genius if the ball lands in the '00' pocket three years later.

~ ~ ~​

Another group of folks are, in this thread and another that I refuse to contribute to, claiming the Tennessee fan base was wrong to reject Schiano and get Currie fired back in 2018. Some are saying "look at the Notice of Allegations from the NCAA; see, see, this is what you get because rejecting Schiano and getting Currie fired led directly to Fulmer AD led directly to Pruitt head coach."

No. That's illogical. Rejecting Schiano was the right thing to do. Both because he was possibly (not for sure, but quite possibly) a pedophile enabler at Penn State, and because he's not a very good coach.

Folks without a moral compass have trouble understanding people who do have strong values. They tend to look for the "real reasons" behind a values-based decision. They think it's just a fig leaf. In that way, cretins like Pat Forde (and a few folks on these boards) give away their lack of a moral foundation to their character.

Rejecting Schiano for the moral reason wasn't a condemnation of the man. We don't know for sure whether the rumors about his complicity were true. We only know that it is possible they were true, and we do not want a great program and university like Tennessee associated with that. We're not trying to hang Schiano...only keep him away from our lads and lasses, just in case. That's reasonable. It's logical.

But folks without a moral compass can't see that. So they convince themselves that it's really about him not being a good coach.

Okay, we can go there too, because that's also a very good reason to reject Schiano. He's not a very good coach. His weak leadership became evident during his brief NFL stint. He is apparently acerbic, builds drama and dissention in the locker room. Can't brook any authority other than his own; he's an autocrat. Not a good man to have around young adults, teaching them how to grow into greatness. You have to model greatness to lead others to it. Schiano is not capable of that.

And then, finally and most baldly, the man isn't very good at winning football games. This is the point where Herbstreit and other supporters' minds immediately go to that one magical 11-2 season at Rutgers, back in 2006. You know, the season he tied for 2nd. In the Big East conference.

Fact is, Schiano's record as a head coach at Rutgers, even the first time around, the lauded time, was just 68-67. One game above .500. Take out the magical 11-2 year, and what's left? That's not a championship coach, it's a mediocre coach in a mediocre conference. Butch Jones has stronger credentials than that.

And since then, it has been nothing but downhill for Greg. 11-21 in Tampa Bay, along with the already-mentioned locker room drama. And since his return to Rutgers, 8-14. He went 3-6 in his first season, but okay that was his first year, and on top of which it was the Covid year. A weird season to be sure. So give the man a mulligan for that. How about his second season? 5-8. Even Jeremy Pruitt was able to muster 8 wins in his second season. Schiano couldn't even come close to Pruitt.

So if we reject Pruitt, whose second season was three games stronger than Schiano's, you think we're going to now look back with regret for not accepting Greg?

Please.

Only a fool argues, "see what you got, Tennessee, you rejected Schianio and now just see what you got." Only a fool.
Go Vols!

Outstanding post!!! Thank you

why would you think that? Tennessee had coaches, staff and boosters giving at least 60 k in cash and gifts away?

I know you can't rely on a "they did worse" thing but,,, I seem to remember Auburn and a certain QB and his preacher father being at the center of a "pay off" some years ago. What came of that? Seem to remember nothing could be proven..... YEAH NCAA worked hard looking didn't they...

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
An early guess at what penalties the NCAA will dole out as a result of these allegations:

-- Post-season bans: none. In keeping with the NCAA's new focus on punishing those responsible and not players or coaches who were innocent, I don't see any impact on our current coaching staff or players. At all. The NCAA may mention the voluntary UT decision to forego a bowl game in 2020 (we could have accepted a bowl, even with a 3-7 record, remember everyone could go to a bowl that year; it was the Covid weirdness)...but I don't think the NCAA will even mention that. In keeping with their new focus on the miscreants.
-- Vacation of victories: think the Vols will vacate all 8 wins from the 2019 season and all 3 from 2020. I don't think we'll have to give up the 5 victories from 2018, because (I think) none of the players who got illicit payments were on the team that first year. They were all being recruited then. Nonetheless, giving away 11 Ws will immediately vault Georgia past us in total wins in the record books. We will fall out of the top 10 historically. This is likely to be the single greatest cost to the program from this scandal.
-- Program probation: probably two, three, or four years of probation. No biggie, just a little bureaucratic hassle for the AD's office. Doesn't affect the lads.
-- Disqualification: none. The NCAA could disqualify one or more players for accepting illegal benefits, but I doubt they will. Anyway, I doubt any of the known recipients remain at Tennessee; think they all transferred when the scandal broke. The NCAA will go after the involved coaches instead.
-- Show cause: Pruitt, Niedermeyer, Ansley, Felton, and the AD staffers involved will probably all get show causes. Some as long as 10 years (Pruitt and Niedermeyer). Of course, none of them work in Knoxville, so really no skin off our noses.
-- Fine: there will undoubtedly be some financial penalty assessed against the university. No telling how big or small. But something.

And I think that will be it. As already mentioned, the vacated victories and what that does to our place in the record books will be the heaviest cost to the current program. It is a pity that we let UGa pass us in all-time wins. It is even more of a pity that this is how it happens.

But, we might just have the right coaching staff to go win that spot back over the next several years.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back