Notice of Allegations received today Friday 7/22

He had zero experience as an athletic director. Why are we hiring a washed up football coach with zero experience to manage a top 15 athletic department?
Yes, he was totally unqualified but you asked "What moron decided to cheap out *again* on an AD hire".

Top 10 pay is not cheap. There is a lot of this UT is cheap static around here but looking at what Fulmer, Barnes, and others are paid, UT is not cheap.

Reactions: butchna
With us penalizing ourselves with scholarships I believe that will be the extent of it. In the end Tennessee saved 11 million and yes we did harm roster for 2 years but I believe we are coming out smelling like a Rose. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: Yanks24
I've always believed that intentionally violating significant rules should not only be contractual grounds for termination, but should also make you potentially liable for damages in a civil suit. If you thought you could get sued to hell and back for causing financial damage to the University, you might be more careful.

Reading they said how Danny White and the university should be the standard of how to handle situations like that, it makes me feel better about what punishment may follow.

“The NCAA is in the final stages of adopting an infractions policy overhaul with a penalty structure that focuses less on postseason bans. The intent is to avoid penalties that would affect players who were not at the school when the violations occurred, with sanctions focused more on those specifically at fault, such as coaches.”

Reactions: joevol33
UT dodged a HUGE bullet today by hiring Danny White and letting him drive the investigation.
By being transparent to the NCAA and cleaning house he dodged the 'lack of institutional control' allegation and punishment.
The 18 level 1s can all be shackled onto Pruitt, who is no longer here, but a lack of control would drop directly on the school and would have been a hefty, hefty punishment.

“The NCAA is in the final stages of adopting an infractions policy overhaul with a penalty structure that focuses less on postseason bans. The intent is to avoid penalties that would affect players who were not at the school when the violations occurred, with sanctions focused more on those specifically at fault, such as coaches.”
Reading this too, makes me wonder how much politicking White and Plowman did with the NCAA to delay our case just so we can be in under those newer, less 'strict' penalties...would be awesome for someone to write a book about all of this in like 10 years.

Reactions: VolTookie
Yes, he was totally unqualified but you asked "What moron decided to cheap out *again* on an AD hire".

Top 10 pay is not cheap. There is a lot of this UT is cheap static around here but looking at what Fulmer, Barnes, and others are paid, UT is not cheap.
What we paid him =/= market value. Not trying to get caught up in semantics but he was an unqualified bargain bin hire to fill the position of Athletic Director at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Contrast the Dooley/Jones/Pruitt/Martin/Tyndall hires vs the big money moves being made now to compete and retain talented coaches in all sports.

I don’t ever want to see Fulmer around the TN football program again. He should be permanently banned from setting foot on the campus.

Truer words have never been spoken. He was around the program constantly, even got in trouble for it. You can’t tell me he didn’t know this was going on. At the very least, teach your idiot hire better Phil.

Thanks for 98, Phil. But I’m done with the guy after that point. Almost 20 years of ineptitude and leadership based on ego than anything else.

What moron decided to cheap out *again* on an AD hire and hire a former coach that we fired due to the game passing him by and with no equivalent AD experience? I'm sure the same moron that set the budget to go bargain bin shopping and had to sign off on said unproven head coach.

The powers that be didn't give a damn about the success of Tennessee athletics outside of turning a profit for decades.
Success has a thousand fathers and failure is always an orphan. I remember being against hiring Fulmer as an AD the first time around due to him having to learn on the go and then owning my wrong when he seemingly swooped in to save the mess that Currie wrought. He was in no way a “cheap” hire…check out his contract. It was borne of desperation. Sometimes that lands you Barnes as a HC…sometimes it replicates our recent history. It makes the hires of Boyd and Plowman look like what we used to expect of grownups. They were under no less pressure…more exactly…and methodically started the process. It’s all that can be done. Start getting it right.

Just for my own information, would love to know if we outbid Bama for Henry T and how much he got the second time around.

Yeah, I won’t name players but bet $$$ that some of those who hit the portal were asked to leave due to this upon White and Heup’s arrival. Players involved will be named in the future imo as it’s almost impossible to keep quiet w today’s social media, texts, etc.

If it wasn't for Fulmer our last NC would've been 71 years ago. It's ok to take a break from hating him.

I’m grateful for Fulmer leading the reigns in 98, and before, but I think he was aware of some of the shenanigans, maybe not all. But to receive a buyout when he supposedly retired? He robbed the bank as an AD.

Vols fans might have some culpability in the hire. There were grumbles about avoiding the hire of Hugh Freeze, and I think one other guy (not the P-State pedophile) due to their baggage. That didn't leave Fulmer much room to hire someone who was willing to take the job, as an appeasement to the fans. Yet, he shoulkd have had better sense than to hire a Sabanite, as we tried that before with disastrous results.

It was going to be Schiano, the contract terms were even set. Then that fell apart, then AD got canned on the way to court Leach. (as I remember it.)

VN Store

Back