Not Vol related but Jud Fabien returning to UF next year after being drafted in 2nd round by Red Sox

Highest draft pick to not sign with Boston since 1986. I get having a number in mind and sticking to it, but I’m fairly confident he regrets this. He’ll have to have the type of season that catapults him to a Top 15 pick to make this move worth it. With his strikeout issues, I can’t imagine that happening.

It sucks for Boston, I wanted him to sign badly. But it’s no skin off our back because it’s a protected pick so we’ll get the #41 pick next year and extra slot money for the 2022 draft.

Highest draft pick to not sign with Boston since 1986. I get having a number in mind and sticking to it, but I’m fairly confident he regrets this. He’ll have to have the type of season that catapults him to a Top 15 pick to make this move worth it. With his strikeout issues, I can’t imagine that happening.

It sucks for Boston, I wanted him to sign badly. But it’s no skin off our back because it’s a protected pick so we’ll get the #41 pick next year and extra slot money for the 2022 draft.

Agree with you on this, but there's some interesting comments in the article below saying he would've been offered $3 mill if he had been selected one pick later by the Orioles, whereas the Sox can only pay him a max of $2,100,680. Therefore, he may be thinking that he doesn't need to be drafted much earlier to make significantly more cash.

Will these Draftees sign by today's deadline?

Reactions: StarRaider
Agree with you on this, but there's some interesting comments in the article below saying he would've been offered $3 mill if he had been selected one pick later by the Orioles, whereas the Sox can only pay him a max of $2,100,680. Therefore, he may be thinking that he doesn't need to be drafted much earlier to make significantly more cash.

Will these Draftees sign by today's deadline?

True, but by going back to college he reduces some of his leverage. If he were to theoretically get picked at #41 again next year I don’t think he’d get $3 million he wants. I doubt a talent like him says no 2 years in a row to a Top-40 pick. I think he is banking on going back to Top 10-15 as his pre-season projections had him but I don’t think that happens.

Either way, it’s an interesting choice. I’m curious to see how this shakes out.

Red Sox farm system ranked in the middle of the pack, so it hurts them to lose a second round pick. You rarely see that. Quite a gamble on Fabian's part. But at least there is potential reward to his risky maneuver. I'm shocked that that the Boston GM allowed this to happen. Should have come to a firm agreement with Fabian before drafting him. OR perhaps he did and Fabian reneged on a promise. Who knows?

Red Sox farm system ranked in the middle of the pack, so it hurts them to lose a second round pick. You rarely see that. Quite a gamble on Fabian's part. But at least there is potential reward to his risky maneuver. I'm shocked that that the Boston GM allowed this to happen. Should have come to a firm agreement with Fabian before drafting him. OR perhaps he did and Fabian reneged on a promise. Who knows?

I think Bloom saw it as low risk, high reward. We haven't picked that high in the 2nd round (and likely won't pick that high again) in decades. Since it is a protected pick, if Fabian does say no (he did) you get to keep the #41 pick next year when our position for the rest of the draft will be in the later part of the rounds. So, either you get a former Top-10 pick at #41 or if he says no you get the #41 pick in 2022 and will have 2 2nd round draft picks and the opportunity to spread more money out amongst your pool.

It sucks to not get Fabian, but I think it was a smart move on Bloom's part. Very little risk with a protected pick.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

VN Store

Back