Not Understanding the Dooley Love

It is astounding that people's reading comprehension can be this low.

Hi. People like him because he is giving them a reason to hope by winning 4 straight games. End of story. If you don't like him that's fine. It's actually pretty easy to guess why people like him - just like it's easy to figure why people don't. The main difference is people choosing to throw their support behind the man in charge of the vols because they want the team to win regardless who is coach.

First off, let me say that I don't dislike Dooley. He's a personable coach that seems to relate well to the players. So, this isn't a knock against him or a statement that he won't ultimately do well at UT.

But, I kinda wish everyone would look at the 6 games we won and who they were against. The combined record of those teams is 23 - 44 (.343).

I understand the depth issues, and I understand the just overall lack of talent. I'm not arguing that we should've beaten any of the teams that we lost to necessarily. All of that is why I don't get how anyone can necessarily love or hate Dooley. But, pretty much all that I've seen on here is tons of praise for Dooley.

I have no clue if this coaching staff can ultimately compete with Meyer, Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, etc. Yet, people just continually praise him for winning those 6 games. I just really don't get it. Anyone care to explain that? And, again, I understand the depth/talent issues, but, even given that, there would've been no reason for us to lose to any of those 6 teams that we beat.

don't know how to respond to this except to ask --- how's that bourbon treating you?

I'll give you the reasons for the love:

1. After starting 2-6 and getting blown out by a lot of teams, many many teams would quit and look forward to next year. That's what happened in 2005 and 2007 and happened to Texas this year. Dooley was able to keep this team focused and ultimately achieved a goal many doubted could be achieved.

2. He won three SEC games with five true freshmen starting on offense.

3. He led the league in fewest penalties with the youngest team in the league.

4. He largely eliminated the off the field problems.

5. The team had 18 interceptions with four underclassmen in the secondary and a true freshman safety that was playing baseball last year.

6. He is bowl eligible with a team that had a total of three returning starts (starts, not starters) on the offensive line. Georgia has the same record and had five returning starters and 155 returning starts.

The original post ignores what makes successful teams--a strong process and culture. He has established that and this roster and program is vastly improved from one year ago under Kiffin and two years ago under Fulmer. People love on Dooley because while the results are ambiguous, the improvement in the process is real.

The record may be the same as it would under Kiffin or Fulmer, but the long term future is much brighter than under either.

Well done sir...

First off, let me say that I don't dislike Dooley. He's a personable coach that seems to relate well to the players. So, this isn't a knock against him or a statement that he won't ultimately do well at UT.

But, I kinda wish everyone would look at the 6 games we won and who they were against. The combined record of those teams is 23 - 44 (.343).

I understand the depth issues, and I understand the just overall lack of talent. I'm not arguing that we should've beaten any of the teams that we lost to necessarily. All of that is why I don't get how anyone can necessarily love or hate Dooley. But, pretty much all that I've seen on here is tons of praise for Dooley.

I have no clue if this coaching staff can ultimately compete with Meyer, Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, etc. Yet, people just continually praise him for winning those 6 games. I just really don't get it. Anyone care to explain that? And, again, I understand the depth/talent issues, but, even given that, there would've been no reason for us to lose to any of those 6 teams that we beat.

I absolutely agree with you. This may be the least talented tennessee team, but did we beat a team with more talent this year?

I'll give you the reasons for the love:

1. After starting 2-6 and getting blown out by a lot of teams, many many teams would quit and look forward to next year. That's what happened in 2005 and 2007 and happened to Texas this year. Dooley was able to keep this team focused and ultimately achieved a goal many doubted could be achieved.

2. He won three SEC games with five true freshmen starting on offense.

3. He led the league in fewest penalties with the youngest team in the league.

4. He largely eliminated the off the field problems.

5. The team had 18 interceptions with four underclassmen in the secondary and a true freshman safety that was playing baseball last year.

6. He is bowl eligible with a team that had a total of three returning starts (starts, not starters) on the offensive line. Georgia has the same record and had five returning starters and 155 returning starts.

The original post ignores what makes successful teams--a strong process and culture. He has established that and this roster and program is vastly improved from one year ago under Kiffin and two years ago under Fulmer. People love on Dooley because while the results are ambiguous, the improvement in the process is real.

The record may be the same as it would under Kiffin or Fulmer, but the long term future is much brighter than under either.

Thank you for that. Those are all solid points, and I'll trust your statements on the least penalties and UGA's starters. I knew we had few penalties, but I didn't realize it was that few. While I still maintain that this year is hard to really see how Dooley will fare long term, I do agree that several of your points lead to a solid foundation which is necessary for going forward.

I more or less agree with you that we cannot draw conclusions on Dooley yet. But I don't really understand why it bothers you that people are giving him a little credit now.

FWIW, many if not most here praised Kiffin for winning 7 games with a good bit more talent last year. Did that bother you too?

Fans like to feel good and hopeful about their team and their guys... Why on earth should that bother you? Maybe YOU can explain that.

I more or less agree with you that we cannot draw conclusions on Dooley yet. But I don't really understand why it bothers you that people are giving him a little credit now.

FWIW, many if not most here praised Kiffin for winning 7 games with a good bit more talent last year. Did that bother you too?

Fans like to feel good and hopeful about their team and their guys... Why on earth should that bother you? Maybe YOU can explain that.

I can't tell you how many Dooley/Saban comparisons I've seen on here... or, just overall statements about how Dooley is our man. It's not a "little credit" that I'm really talking about. Either way, I wouldn't say it bothers me... I just don't understand it. And, I still don't really.

As far as Kiffin, he definitely had more talent. But, the reason I gave him more credit than I have Dooley thus far is b/c with that extra amount of talent, he did something with it. He blew the doors off of South Carolina and Georgia. He took the eventual national champs down to the last second on their home field. There were some lull moments as well (as there are in most, if not all, new coaches' first years). Add that to what he was doing on the recruiting trail, and I had more optimism with Kiffin. I felt like with comparable talent, he would beat Meyer, Saban, etc. as much as they beat us.

I'm not blaming Dooley for not giving me great optimism with on the field performances btw. It was the hand he was dealt. All of this is why I'm not judging him until next year at the earliest. His recruiting must pick up though.

He did more with nothing than fulmer dd with the #1 ranked recruiting class as his seniors and a preseason #3 ranked team (2005).

That suffices for my praise.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
he also basically did just as much with a lot less stars (since that's what everybody seems to care about these days) than urban Meyer did, most people don't understand we got things together towards the end just took some time and I think our vols are going to have a lot of fun next year

So basically it boils down to Kiffin made you feel good but Dooley doesn't and you don't understand why others feel good/hopeful... right?

For all the noise Kiffin was making, his actual recruiting results weren't out of line with what Fulmer did at UT. I hope Dooley's players look better on game day than NSD.

So basically it boils down to Kiffin made you feel good but Dooley doesn't and you don't understand why others feel good/hopeful... right?

For all the noise Kiffin was making, his actual recruiting results weren't out of line with what Fulmer did at UT. I hope Dooley's players look better on game day than NSD.

Eh, yeah, pretty much. But, it's not like I'm down in the dumps or something on Dooley. I'm just up in the air on him still.

And, I agree for the most part on Kiffin and Fulmer's recruiting. But, with how competitive we were in Kiffin's first year, I felt confident and still do (not that it matters) that Kiffin would've had much more success than Fulmer, especially against upper echelon programs. I hope we can say that for Dooley once he gets a few classes/seasons under his belt.

a lot of dooley love is based on the emotion of hope....both that he is the guy, and the program will get back.... i remember when majors came and think dooley may get the program going again more quickly than majors.....anyway its the emotional response to what dooley has done this past month that you are noting...its not that you are wrong, its just what you are saying is missing the point of how people respond....

Eh, yeah, pretty much. But, it's not like I'm down in the dumps or something on Dooley. I'm just up in the air on him still.

And, I agree for the most part on Kiffin and Fulmer's recruiting. But, with how competitive we were in Kiffin's first year, I felt confident and still do (not that it matters) that Kiffin would've had much more success than Fulmer, especially against upper echelon programs. I hope we can say that for Dooley once he gets a few classes/seasons under his belt.

I had confidence in Kiffin but in retrospect believe it was misplaced and not just because he left. 7-6 with last year's team really, really wasn't "amazing". By comparison, this team "competed" at a higher level of their ability IMO than last year's team. Beyond that, Kiffin's performance at USC has been pretty poor. He managed another 7-5 season with the most talented team in the country (at least according to Rivals).

Yeah, I know... they had nothing to play for, nothing to hope for... so basically, he lost his team, right? He could not convince them that winning was enough.

I think Kiffin has talent. I think he is a good salesman and that makes him a good recruiter. I think he is a very good OC. I think he is a louse of a human being- completely classless and self-absorbed.

But at one time I had more regard for him as a HC than I do now.

FTR, I think Dooley is doing some good things. Someone else mentioned "process" and made some good points. However, he inherited a train wreck. I think the odds are even at best that he'll survive past 3-4 years even if he does a great job.

This is the least talented team Tennessee has had in 30+ years.

He took this team

1) bowling

2) to 3 SEC wins.

Get the **** out.

I immediately questioned the legitimacy of this thread.. then I read the third one down from the beginning, and it should have ended there! Dooley (whether or not he is the second coming or not) did what he needed to do this season by allowing the older "more experienced" gentleman to have his chance. When the older prospect proved he wasn't capable, he looked to the future and moved on from there. Even if this younger individual hasn't started and played a full game against the likes of an "all mighty Tide, Gators..(and i guess Auburn now).. etc etc blah blah blah".. he is still managing the game to the best of his young and WINNING ability.

I don't post much, but this negativity that lingers on in some of OUR vol faithful kinda hurts. Especially, since I deal with the redbelly bama fans and bandwagon tigger fans on a daily basis here in the Bham! :thumbsup:
We're gonna be fine! rock on Gentleman, the future is solid.

"Give him Six"

So, I read way more of this than I meant to, and came to this conclusion.... OP, what would CDD had to do this year for you to "jump up and down over"? I have read all your counterpoints, and the dribble ppl spew at you to get you in a tussy. Who knows how CDD will do. Or Saban, or Meyer, Richt or Mack Brown going foward. Sure they have all won and won big. (insert w/e coach). They have all also lost often this year. Last time I checked, nobody wins it all every year, seldom two years in a row. This year alone shows how unpredictable all this can be. What you have seemed to lose focus on, as being a Tennessee fan, is getting behind what we have and see the brighter, shinier side of things. Just the coaches I listed above are widely thought of as the best in the country right now, (all with the highest recruiting classes) and have still managed to have very subpar years. TN is digging out of a hole, and being as competitive as they were in losses, even if for half a game, have made strides all year to becoming better. Young players gained exp that most are not afforded as a young SEC player. As a TN fan, I find it sad you wont allow yourself to be excited for what was accomplished this year. Sure, we are not playing for a NC, but this team overcame many hurdles and is now showing much promise for the future. I beg you stop looking for reasons to jump up and down, and just do it. He met expectations, and even in a few losses, gave us hope, nor did he let us down in a game we should of won. He built from what he had, adapted, mentored, and shaped a future for Vol fans that I for one, am excited to see. Bray, to Hunter, Da'Rick, Arnett, all behind a talented line that just learned in a fire drill........No guarantee that we win any Championships in 4 years, not many teams do, but we will be better poised to compete for them than it could of been.

Absolutely wrong. At USC, he has been able to out talent every single team he has faced (yes, even Oregon) and has lost 5 games. Some coach huh?

I guess you would have to be a fan to understand the love Dooley is getting. The guy has more class and integrity on the turd stuck in his shoe than Lane and his daddy combined...

Future looks bright for our Vols!

GBO!

Like what he's done this year.

Going into next season with only marginally better expectations, but unless Florida Georgia or S Carolina are stacked going into 2012, I expect CDD to have us in the mix by then. We'll see.

Guiding a program out of the cellar and winning titles are two different animals.

The people on this board are a joke. EVERYONE on here is an arm chair qback expressing their beer belly opinion. So a guy gets on here a posts a legitimate point and the same people that were probably bashing Dooley when we were 2-6, are now bashing this guy for asking a question. These homers on this board need to get out of your parents basements and wake up. Everbody is entitled to their opinion and just because you nerds that sit on here from sunup to sundown have nothing better to do than patrol these boards...YOU ARE NOT THE KNOW ALLS. I PROMISE, JUST BECAUSE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO RIVALS.COM DOESNT MAKE YOU A MESSIAH. THESE ARE JUST OPINIONS AND ANY ONE OF YOU THAT THINKS YOURS IS BETTER THAN THE NEXT GUYS NEEDS TO GET OUT OF YOUR BASEMENT. Most of you are high school kids that havent slept with anything other than your playstation controller to date...so dont embarrass yourself by posting what you think is "analytical bull****" that is really just a laughing stock of gibberish. Get a life.

Last edited:
The people on this board are a joke. EVERYONE on here is an arm chair qback expressing their beer belly opinion. So a guy gets on here a posts a legitimate point and the same people that were probably bashing Dooley when we were 2-6, are now bashing this guy for asking a question. These homers on this board need to get out of your parents basements and wake up. Everbody is entitled to their opinion and just becuase you nerds that sit on here from sun up to sundown have nothing better to do than patrol these boards...YOU ARE NOT THE KNOW ALLS. I PROMISE, JUST BECAUSE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO RIVALS.COM DOESNT MAKE YOU A MESSIAH. THESE ARE JUST OPINIONS AND ANY ONE OF THAT THINKS YOURS IS BETTER THAN THE NEXT GUYS NEEDS TO GET OUT OF YOUR BASEMENT. most of you are high school kids that hasnt slept with anything other than your playstation controller. Get a life.

And yes...that was grammatically incorrect due to beer and rumple but you get my point.

The people on this board are a joke. EVERYONE on here is an arm chair qback expressing their beer belly opinion. So a guy gets on here a posts a legitimate point and the same people that were probably bashing Dooley when we were 2-6, are now bashing this guy for asking a question. These homers on this board need to get out of your parents basements and wake up. Everbody is entitled to their opinion and just because you nerds that sit on here from sunup to sundown have nothing better to do than patrol these boards...YOU ARE NOT THE KNOW ALLS. I PROMISE, JUST BECAUSE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO RIVALS.COM DOESNT MAKE YOU A MESSIAH. THESE ARE JUST OPINIONS AND ANY ONE OF YOU THAT THINKS YOURS IS BETTER THAN THE NEXT GUYS NEEDS TO GET OUT OF YOUR BASEMENT. Most of you are high school kids that havent slept with anything other than your playstation controller to date...so dont embarrass yourself by posting what you think is "analytical bull****" that is really just a laughing stock of gibberish. Get a life.

:loco:

You shall surely bring upon your own head the wrath of the true Vol fan. By the way, I agree, it's too early to declare him a savior or a goat.

VN Store

Back