Not trying to be negative

mtvols

I'm not being negative, but will say it again this team isn't as good as everyone thinks. Yes, they are good and could win the SEC, but I've seen predictions on here of final fours, undefeated in the SEC, best UT team ever, etc.

We do not have a good consistent scorer in the post like we had with Chism last year. Our second rotation of McBee, Pearl, Fields, Golden, etc. is not a threat to anyone offensively. We foul way too much. We may play alot of players but that doesn't mean we are deep in talent.

As we have seen we can beat anyone (Pitt and Villanova) but can also lose to anyone (Exhibition game and Oakland). We will fall to 10-15 in the polls and that is where they will likely remain.

Just because we lost a game doesn't mean we aren't a good team.....I'm pretty sure Duke lost a few and still won the NC.

Oakland did everything right. We kinda mucked through the whole game. Scotty reading too many headlines. Needs to play every night.

I would say not scoring for 8 minutes of the last 13 minutes (3 minutes at the 13 minute mark and over 5 minutes at the 7 minute mark) lessens a team's chance at success.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

"I'm not being negative BUT...." BLAH BLAH BLAH...gotta love how "supportive" some of our so called fans are! What a joke

You're never as good as you feel after a win, and you're never as bad as you feel after a loss. Where you are is somewhere in the middle of the two.

Our fanbase needs to realize that.

man this OP is so smart(sarcasm). i don't make predictions, still to early in the year. just enjoy it one game at a time.

This team will be fine and will hopefully learn that they have to play with defensive intensity every game. We are not a team that will win just trading baskets. Defense and rebounding is the formula for success. We didn't block anyone out on defensive rebounds and gave up too many easy baskets. Oakland also made shots that they likely will never be able to do again in this game. Luck was on their side on an off night for us. You lose when the other team shoots 54% for the game.

I'm not being negative, but will say it again this team isn't as good as everyone thinks. Yes, they are good and could win the SEC, but I've seen predictions on here of final fours, undefeated in the SEC, best UT team ever, etc.

We do not have a good consistent scorer in the post like we had with Chism last year. Our second rotation of McBee, Pearl, Fields, Golden, etc. is not a threat to anyone offensively. We foul way too much. We may play alot of players but that doesn't mean we are deep in talent.

As we have seen we can beat anyone (Pitt and Villanova) but can also lose to anyone (Exhibition game and Oakland). We will fall to 10-15 in the polls and that is where they will likely remain.

Honestly, we might still be the best UT team ever. But predictions of final fours and undefeated in the SEC are premature.

You're never as good as you feel after a win, and you're never as bad as you feel after a loss. Where you are is somewhere in the middle of the two.

Our fanbase needs to realize that.

So true. Coached before?

:lolabove: :loco::loco::crazy:

Anytime someone starts a thread "Not being negative,but" they go directly to the old ignore file!!! With a big :moon2: attached!!

Just because we lost a game doesn't mean we aren't a good team.....I'm pretty sure Duke lost a few and still won the NC.

Duke isn't really a great example. Duke lost games last year, but they certainly never lost on their home floor to a medicore mid-major. They lost all 5 of their games on the road last season. Every team they lost to but NC St. was also ranked at some point last season. NC St. was the worst of the losses and they even made the NIT.

Like you said though, just because we lost a game doesn't necessarily mean we aren't a good team. However, all the delusions of gradeur can go ahead and be tossed to the curb as well. There were people on here honestly thinking this might be another Elite 8 or even Final Four type of team, and that's just not the case. Too many shortcomings on the offensive end to get that far.

Vols let up in the second half, especially on defense. When Oakland took back the lead, the Vols made more mistakes. Scotty had a bad game, and that's going to happen, but I sure would love to see him become more vocal. I know its been said many times, but he has to take on a larger leadership role. He needs to be able to rally the troops when he has an off night.

Also, watching Harris on the offensive boards is so frustrating! If Harris (the whole team for that matter) can get that figured out, we'll be a much better team.

Duke isn't really a great example. Duke lost games last year, but they certainly never lost on their home floor to a medicore mid-major. They lost all 5 of their games on the road last season. Every team they lost to but NC St. was also ranked at some point last season. NC St. was the worst of the losses and they even made the NIT.

Like you said though, just because we lost a game doesn't necessarily mean we aren't a good team. However, all the delusions of gradeur can go ahead and be tossed to the curb as well. There were people on here honestly thinking this might be another Elite 8 or even Final Four type of team, and that's just not the case. Too many shortcomings on the offensive end to get that far.

Seems I remember some team called OAKLAND making it to the BIG tournament last year...and with the way they have played the other ranked foes so far this year I would hardly call them mediocre. They could very easily have the same record or at least close to the same as us.

I have said it a million times and will say it again-this loss will be a good thing for the vols...and I still say the vols make a great run deep into the tournament!

Seems I remember some team called OAKLAND making it to the BIG tournament last year...and with the way they have played the other ranked foes so far this year I would hardly call them mediocre. They could very easily have the same record or at least close to the same as us.

I have said it a million times and will say it again-this loss will be a good thing for the vols...and I still say the vols make a great run deep into the tournament!

They lost to Wright St. End of story.

Sure they played a couple other quality teams close, but the difference is that it was just that, a close game. Nobody else figured out how to lose to them. We did.

Losing to a team with a sub-100 RPI is NEVER a good thing for any team. That's something that will likely cost us when it comes to seeding in March. While that's not really that huge of a deal, the higher seed you manage to get come tourney time, the easier your road of advancement will likely be.

VN Store

Back