(Not Official) SEC Permanent Rivals per Ross Dellenger of SI

so basically in yours auburn gets boned with our old schedule lol

Yeah but they are Auburns 3 big rivals from way back.

Also, as I mentioned, with 9 game conference schedule, you either play a team every year (rival) or every other year.

Our permanent should be Bama, Vandy and UF. At least if my selfish wants could be met. Instead it’s apparently gonna be SC.

Reactions: Vol865
Our permanent should be Bama, Vandy and UF. At least if my selfish wants could be met. Instead it’s apparently gonna be SC.
I, RESPECTFULLY, disagree.
IMHO, all 16 teams should be able to have their first choice.
Vandys first choice is Tennessee
Kentuckys first choice is Tennessee
Tennessees first choice is Alabama.
Therefore, Tennessees 3 teams should be UK, Vandy, and Bama.
S.Carolina’s first choice would be UGA.

Here's a plan. South Carolina becomes the SEC designated ACC representative playing an ACC schedule. Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma will represent the SEC by playing teams west of the Mississippi River.

The remaining 10 teams would play 9 conference games and 2 OOC games with the top four teams from this group in a playoff.

I’d be happy if our guys never had to step foot on that ****** field ever again.

No team should play on a field that is unsafe. The sec should make them tear up that cess pool and install a top flight surface like all the other sec teams. Money should not be a issue for an sec team. I'm still pissed it cost Hooker his knee.

Everything is cyclical. No matter what the schedule is, the teams will go up and down.

Except Vandy. Vandy will always suck.

Reactions: Falcons02
This is pretty good. I would make minor tweaks in bold:
Ark: uTa, Mizzou, OK
Aub: AL, FL, GA
AL: Aub, UT, MSU
FL: Aub, GA, SCAR
GA: Aub, FL, SCAR
LSU: aTm, Ole Miss, MSU
KY: UT, Vandy, Mizzou
Mizzou: KY, OK, Ark
MSU: Ole Miss, LSU, AL
Ole Miss: MSU, LSU, aTm
OK: uTa, Ark, Mizzou
SCAR: FL, GA, Vandy
UT: AL, KY, Vandy
uTa: Ark, OK, aTm,
aTm: uTa, LSU, Ole Miss
Vandy: UT, KY, SCAR
Trade FL and MSU between Auburn and LSU. That schedule is way to hard on Barn and way to easy on LSU.

Then Trade Mizzu and MSU between UK and Bama. It's not fair to Missouri. But someone has to be Vandy 2.0.

Last edited:
And he took 10 points from us

I'm not forgetting us being up 38 nothing in 21 though

That pendulum bout to swing back HARD
And unfortunately for the Chickens, the sting of last year will stick with the Vols for a long time. I foresee beatdown coming for multiple upcoming seasons

It will be frustrating to lose our UK rivalry, but it is still a decent draw for us. We'll just have to take care of business.

This is pretty good. I would make minor tweaks in bold:
Ark: uTa, Mizzou, OK
Aub: AL, FL, GA
AL: Aub, UT, MSU
FL: Aub, GA, SCAR
GA: Aub, FL, SCAR
LSU: aTm, Ole Miss, MSU
KY: UT, Vandy, Mizzou
Mizzou: KY, OK, Ark
MSU: Ole Miss, LSU, AL
Ole Miss: MSU, LSU, aTm
OK: uTa, Ark, Mizzou
SCAR: FL, GA, Vandy
UT: AL, KY, Vandy
uTa: Ark, OK, aTm,
aTm: uTa, LSU, Ole Miss
Vandy: UT, KY, SCAR

Most of these work perfectly, but the disparity between the toughest (Auburn) vs. the lightest (KY) needs adjusting.

Most of these work perfectly, but the disparity between the toughest (Auburn) vs. the lightest (KY) needs adjusting.

I understand your point but with the 9-game schedule model, you play your 3 rivals every year and you play the 12 non-rival teams every other year. Also, the tougher your rival games, by default the easier your non-rival games will be. For example: Auburns toughest non-rivals would be LSU and Tennessee. Whereas KY, would get Rival Tennessee and Bama, UGA, UF, LSU on the non-rival slate.

With Divisions, you played your division and a rival every year and a non-division teams every 6 years, so the strength of the Rivals isn't nearly as big of a factor with the 9-game model.

To expound, every two years, Aub would play FL, UGA, Bama, Tennessee and LSU 8 times. Every two years KY would play FL, UGA, Bama, Tennessee and LSU 6 times...relatively minor difference in the end.

We've been batting this question back and forth for a few months, in this thread and others: would having easier permanent rivals help?

Let's try math out. See if it can help us figure this out.

At the extreme, one team might have three cellar dweller permanent rivals (think Vandy, Ky, Miss St), while another team had the best teams in conference (like maybe Bama, UGa, and the Vols) as their permanent matches.

And let's just triage the competition: there are 5 easy teams in conference, 5 middling teams, 5 tough teams, and the Test Case. For the sake of argument, we'll call an easy team a W every time, a middling team 0.5 of a win, and a tough team an L.

(1) If the Test Case plays 3 cupcake permanent rivals, the other 12 teams (5 tough, 5 middle, 2 easy) will rotate: that's 2.5 tough, 2.5 middle, and 4 easy each year. So expected record is: 2.5L + 2.5(0.5)W + 2.5(0.5)L + 4W = 5.25 wins and 3.75 losses.

(2) If the Test Case plays 3 tough rivals every year, with the other 12 teams (2 tough, 5 middle, 5 easy) rotating: that's a total of 4 tough, 2.5 middling, and 2.5 easy = 4L + 1.25W + 1.25L + 2.5W = 3.75 wins and 5.25 losses each year.

Rounding off, it's 5 wins and 4 losses with the easiest of schedules, or 4 wins and 5 losses with the toughest of schedules.

That's not much real difference.

Let's just whup all dey azzes, and it won't matter too much.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
We've been batting this question back and forth for a few months, in this thread and others: would having easier permanent rivals help?

Let's try math out. See if it can help us figure this out.

At the extreme, one team might have three cellar dweller permanent rivals (think Vandy, Ky, Miss St), while another team had the best teams in conference (like maybe Bama, UGa, and the Vols) as their permanent matches.

And let's just triage the competition: there are 5 easy teams in conference, 5 middling teams, 5 tough teams, and the Test Case. For the sake of argument, we'll call an easy team a W every time, a middling team 0.5 of a win, and a tough team an L.

(1) If the Test Case plays 3 cupcake permanent rivals, the other 12 teams (5 tough, 5 middle, 2 easy) will rotate: that's 2.5 tough, 2.5 middle, and 4 easy each year. So expected record is: 2.5L + 2.5(0.5)W + 2.5(0.5)L + 4W = 5.25 wins and 3.75 losses.

(2) If the Test Case plays 3 tough rivals every year, with the other 12 teams (2 tough, 5 middle, 5 easy) rotating: that's a total of 4 tough, 2.5 middling, and 2.5 easy = 4L + 1.25W + 1.25L + 2.5W = 3.75 wins and 5.25 losses each year.

Rounding off, it's 5 wins and 4 losses with the easiest of schedules, or 4 wins and 5 losses with the toughest of schedules.

That's not much real difference.

Let's just whup all dey azzes, and it won't matter too much.

Go Vols!

I agree and had a similar post without the algebra. You're playing your 3 rivals every year and the other 12 teams every other year.

Now you won't have Bama and Georgia or LSU and Geogia only playing each other every 6th year in the regular season while Tennessee draws Bama every year and MissSt every 6th year.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back