Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

Here's a great read about Jackie. We'll worth the time to check it out.

Searching for Stiles

“When I was in second grade,” Stiles says, “I told my teacher I’d play professional basketball. At the time, there WAS no professional basketball for women in America, but I didn’t know that, and I didn’t care. I knew that was what I was going to do. Whatever it took.”

Reactions: lvocd
Here's a great read about Jackie. We'll worth the time to check it out.

Searching for Stiles

NOBODY outworked Jackie Stiles when she was a player. Her compulsive workout routine of shooting thousands of shots every day literally wore her body out. I’d never heard of that happening to someone so young until it happened to her. But dang, was she ever a deadly shooter! I’ll never forget watching her play.

I would really like for her and Treasure Hunt come to Tennessee.
I hear ya. I'm hoping that Andrews and Gusters choose Baylor.

Sarah Andrew's playing with ProskillsGbb looking good at Boo Williams...
23 pts 5 assists first game yesterday

Hannah Gusters 11 pts 8 rbs going vs.Big that just committed to Notre Dame.

Would also like to see Haily Van Lith head to Waco but that's probably a pipe dream. Van Lith reminds me of a young Kim Mulkey in her playing days at La Tech.

Last edited:
7:33a, 4/29/19

SHERYL SWOOPES

from Kris Gardner at Houston Roundball Review

"Sources tell me Sheryl Swoopes is interested in being the next women's basketball head coach at Texas Southern University. The job became available earlier this week when former Texas Southern head coach, Johnetta Havesi, resigned to become the new head coach at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

Swoopes is no stranger to the city of Houston. After winning an NCAA title at Texas Tech, Swoopes was part of four WNBA championships with the Houston Comets. She Swoopes was head coach at Loyola University in Chicago from 2013 to 2016. In 2017, Texas Tech hired her as Director of Player Development for women's basketball. In December 2018, CyFair Premier, a prominent girls' basketball grassroots / AAU program, named Swoopes the Director of Player Development and Recruiting.

Texas Southern is conducting a nation-wide search for the next women's basketball head coach."

- April 27, 2019

7:33a, 4/29/19

SHERYL SWOOPES

from Kris Gardner at Houston Roundball Review

"Sources tell me Sheryl Swoopes is interested in being the next women's basketball head coach at Texas Southern University. The job became available earlier this week when former Texas Southern head coach, Johnetta Havesi, resigned to become the new head coach at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

Swoopes is no stranger to the city of Houston. After winning an NCAA title at Texas Tech, Swoopes was part of four WNBA championships with the Houston Comets. She Swoopes was head coach at Loyola University in Chicago from 2013 to 2016. In 2017, Texas Tech hired her as Director of Player Development for women's basketball. In December 2018, CyFair Premier, a prominent girls' basketball grassroots / AAU program, named Swoopes the Director of Player Development and Recruiting.

Texas Southern is conducting a nation-wide search for the next women's basketball head coach."

- April 27, 2019
They just hired Cynthia Cooper-Dykes

she was an also ran in recruiting and went to Utah - "Ky seems more like home" smile

With all of these folks transferring that are not grad transfers, it would be interesting to see how many have to sit out next year vs how many got an exception and why.

With all of these folks transferring that are not grad transfers, it would be interesting to see how many have to sit out next year vs how many got an exception and why.

I believe with the new rules they passed this will be more transparent and less confusing. I’m not sure if they go into effect for this season or next. But essentially, with the new rule, unless your coach was fired in the summer after the last season you have to sit out. If your coach was fired or left you are free to transfer without sitting out, without a waiver. Sounds to me like they’re planning on just not doing waivers anymore.

Big 12 Leads Nation with Invites to U19 World Trials

A nation-leading six current student-athletes and an incoming student-athlete from five Big 12 programs were invited to take part in the 2019 USA U19 World Team trials.

Baylor Aquira DeCosta. Queen Egbo. NaLyssa Smith.
Iowa State Ashley Joens
Oklahoma Taylor Robertson
Texas Celeste Taylor signee
Texas Tech Chrislyn Carr
received invitations for the 4-day camp
at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs CO

Trials to select the 12-member team will be held May 16-19, followed by the training camp July 5-19 and the U19 World Cup competition taking place July 20-28 in Bangkok, Thailand. Players eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens, born on or after Jan. 1, 2000.

All 30 athletes invited also are eligible for the 2019 U.S. Pan American Games Women's Basketball Team. Trials for that squad also take place May 16-20 at the USOTC in Colorado Springs.

- BIG 12 WBB, 01 May 2019

Is she a late 2019 or 2020?
2019 and 6' 1" . Playing in a proleague w/o pay for 2 seasons.

While I am at it, did anyone post news about 2020 guard 5'10" or 11 Nika Muhl of Croatia? Was in Florida last month for the NBA No Borders camp, so she's view quite highly. She committed to UConn shortly after they lost in the Semi's.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back