Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

They ran the pick and roll repeatedly with Hebard and Ionescu all night, and MSST couldn't stop it. Hebard was getting open at will because McCowan was getting dragged to the top of the key and Hebard was rolling to the basket for layups whenever she wanted it. Ionescu was exploiting a smaller defender on her and knew she could shoot over her or get to the FT line. She was right. But make no mistake...Hebard was open all night.

If Cooper was still playing for Tennessee, my prediction is that the assessment of her game fr people here would be different. Seems like another pissing session, similar to what Anastasia Hayes & Sisters can expect from this board next season 🙄

I can see both sides Cooper has to shoot for them to win but she is no Ionesco in terms of shooting, leading a team, assists, rebounding, and just way to change a program. No one has mentioned Annie in awhile actually and I wish her and her sisters all the best ! But I am happily taking Evina, Jaz , Zay, Rae and looking forward to Jordan becoming part of the perimeter core. Also we are in the running for some really good guards in the next recruiting classes.

I can see both sides Cooper has to shoot for them to win but she is no Ionesco in terms of shooting, leading a team, assists, rebounding, and just way to change a program. No one has mentioned Annie in awhile actually and I wish her and her sisters all the best ! But I am happily taking Evina, Jaz , Zay, Rae and looking forward to Jordan becoming part of the perimeter core. Also we are in the running for some really good guards in the next recruiting classes.

I watched the second half of that game, and Cooper was dribbling toward the goal out of control and forcing up shots that incredibly went in the basket. She was LUCKY last night. Her luck may not continue.

I watched the second half of that game, and Cooper was dribbling toward the goal out of control and forcing up shots that incredibly went in the basket. She was LUCKY last night. Her luck may not continue.

She was lucky, and still didn't shoot very well. Thanks for your input, I didn't watch that specific game, but have watched them several times this year. That seems to be her MO and sometimes they go in, sometimes (about 70% of the time) they do not.

Cooper is no Ionescu, but she is the closest thing to it that SC has. She is their only guard with the athleticism, speed and skill to consistently create her own shot. The problem is that she's surrounded by a bunch of players who either can't or are afraid to shoot. She's basically in the same spot that Meighan Simmons was in for so many years. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

In any case, SC is a better team with her than without her.

In other news, did anyone watch the SC/Texas A&M game? I don't think I'll watch after looking at the stat sheet, just looked like two teams that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. SC shot extremely poorly and Texas A&M somehow managed to shoot even worse.

Anytime Cooper puts up big numbers it seems SC struggle as a team, still don't think she is executing how Dawn has asked her to. Way too much hero ball going on with her. She had 24 last night but only shot 38% from the field (7-18) and 20% from the 3 (1-5). And she took 18 shots, 8 more than anyone else on the team and 11 more than Jennings who should theoretically be taking the majority of their shots based on efficiency. I've said it before, but her percentages just are not good enough to be a volume shooter. They were lucky to escape with the win last night.

A win is a win regardless of how anyone feels about it! Te’a is trying to find her groove after not playing for 2 years and SC as a team is still trying to find it’s identity. A win over top 25 TAMU was needed for this team so I can’t complain about how we did it..... This is obviously a rebuilding year for SC so Dawn has much more patience. I expect us to hit the ground running next year with our Elite freshman class!

A win is a win regardless of how anyone feels about it! Te’a is trying to find her groove after not playing for 2 years and SC as a team is still trying to find it’s identity. A win over top 25 TAMU was needed for this team so I can’t complain about how we did it..... This is obviously a rebuilding year for SC so Dawn has much more patience. I expect us to hit the ground running next year with our Elite freshman class!

Better wait two years ... we learned last year freshmen are still freshmen but when they become sophomores is a great thing as we are seeing with our sophomores 😎

I am excited for our sophomores to become juniors with the addition of Jordan who is gonna be a dawg. UT is gonna hit the ground running as well!

Last edited:
Better wait two years ... we learned last year freshmen are still freshmen but when they become sophomores is a great thing as we are seeing with our sophomores 😎

I am excited for our sophomores to become juniors with the addition of Jordan who is gonna be a dawg. UT is gonna hit the ground running as well!

Nah! These girls are a different breed! They’re going to put their talents on notice from day one! They’re considered one of the best classes in history for a reason.

Last edited:
Wow. What a game. This UConn team does not look like teams from the past. Walker, does not look like the #1 recruit out of HS. Now, I do think C. Williams will be a good player.
Exciting game with a packed house to see #1 go down! I know Geno will regroup his team but I think it will be another drought year for the Huskies.
Great game for Miss Kalani Brown. They could not guard her at all! Reminds me, I’d love to see Miss State and Baylor play one another.
C. Jackson hit some big shots, Lauren Cox was solid. Kim Mulkey had her team ready.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Cooper is a hit or miss player and so because of the way she plays is Carter for Texas A&M. Carter could make A&M a very good team but her insistence to shoot any shot she desires and fire from anywhere on the court is the reason A&M lost this game. It was a 3 point loss and Carter was 3 of 19 from the field. Maybe she finds two or three teammates instead of shooting they win the game instead of losing. 3 of 19 is 16 percent. This tells me she was shooting some horrid shots because no one shoots that bad unless they are taking some bad ones.

Nah! These girls are a different breed! They’re going to put their talents on notice from day one! They’re considered one of the best classes in history for a reason.

This is no disrespect but they will be freshman. They are all def talented but even Brianna Stewart’s class (the one that won 4 NCs in a row) were freshman and needed the upperclassmen to help them get to where they needed to be.

So while I love your enthusiasum I’ll take the wait and see approach. Because they will be just that, freshman. However you are right theyre considered to be SCs greatest recruiting class no doubt.

It happens to everyone. Look what happened to us. They won’t and can’t be on top forever.
UCONN's women's basketball dynasty will eventually end. Geno will soon be 65 years old.

Sometimes dynasties end quickly, and sometimes it happens little by little.

This is no disrespect but they will be freshman. They are all def talented but even Brianna Stewart’s class (the one that won 4 NCs in a row) were freshman and needed the upperclassmen to help them get to where they needed to be.

So while I love your enthusiasum I’ll take the wait and see approach. Because they will be just that, freshman. However you are right theyre considered to be SCs greatest recruiting class no doubt.

They made an impact their freshman year though, no? Stewie won NFOY and MOP in the FF! They set the standard for recruiting classes but I’m not going to pigeon hole them because they’re freshman. Look what Rhyne Howard is doing for Kentucky, I think everyone of SC’s freshman can provide the same kind of impact and their individual positions so yes I expect them to hit the ground running!

They made an impact their freshman year though, no? Stewie won NFOY and MOP in the FF! They set the standard for recruiting classes but I’m not going to pigeon hole them because they’re freshman. Look what Rhyne Howard is doing for Kentucky, I think everyone of SC’s freshman can provide the same kind of impact and their individual positions so yes I expect them to hit the ground running!

Did I say that they wouldn’t be good? No! I said they will be freshmen... and yes to all your questions except the fact that as good as Breanna was she was stil a freshman and she had upperclassmen to help her along the way and play really well to take the pressure off of her (she had 4 future 1st round WNBA players older players she was playing with). If you guys have someone of her caliber great, seriously! I am not downplaying or telling you to lower your expectations but I am just saying they are freshmen and will do freshmen things. We get it we had great freshmen too Chamique one of the greatest to play the college game, then Tamika someone who was hell on the court but her impact is still being felt not only in the b-ball world but off it as well, and CP3 someone who changed the women’s game. So yes we understand good freshmen😁

I respect Dawn she played for my homestate... Although I am to young to remember it. So enjoy THIS season (as you called it a rebuilding year I think they could be a pretty good team) and NEXT :)

Sidenote: not everyone on here that interacts with you is throwing shade at the gamecocks. Just wanted to say that as I am a Staley fan but can still love my LV. Pat built this conference and Dawn understands that and I think does her best to not only respect it but help grow the conference herself. She has often called Pat the G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all time) and defended CHW. So again... not everything said about SC on here has to be taken to 100 I don’t know how the Cocky yard (sorry I don’t know the forums name) does with its posters and other teams but there are posters here that don’t need to tear your team down to feel good about ours. Enjoy your day, season, and incoming recruiting class 😁

Last edited:
Wow. What a game. This UConn team does not look like teams from the past. Walker, does not look like the #1 recruit out of HS. Now, I do think C. Williams will be a good player.
Exciting game with a packed house to see #1 go down! I know Geno will regroup his team but I think it will be another drought year for the Huskies.
Great game for Miss Kalani Brown. They could not guard her at all! Reminds me, I’d love to see Miss State and Baylor play one another.
C. Jackson hit some big shots, Lauren Cox was solid. Kim Mulkey had her team ready.[/QUOTE

They do have an excellent shot at another final 4 and could win it this time. The only roadblock would be a significant injury to one of the starting 5.

Watching a barn burner right now Ohio State vs Maryland 51-51 with 4 mins left in the 3rd

I also think Baylor is a great matchup vs. UConn. They have size and athleticism across the board. Once DaCosta, Egbo, and HSG catch up to Smith development-wise, they will be ridiculous. If they can get solid PG play out of HSG or Ursin this year, they are my pick to win the NC ( co-fav w ND). I know Louisville is unbeaten, but I'm not sold on them. I think both Oregon and MSST are better teams.

But I digress...my main delight is seeing UConn come back down to earth. We should see it more. May it be a sign of things to come 🙏
We held UCONN to 9 made 2 point shots.

The game before, we held RGV to two made. I figured that was more an indication that we were about ten echelons higher on the talent scale.

Now I figure that we must have a really good interior defense.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
And perhaps the craziest stat? The Lady Bears' defense held UConn to just 29% shooting the Huskies' lowest shooting percentage in the last 20 seasons.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
This UConn and Baylor game had something no other teams has. Four number one players. UConn 2015. K. Samuelson, 2017. M. Walker, 2018. C. Williams..... Baylor 2016. L. Cox in the same game. Next year UConn (2) Baylor (1) Stanford (1). I was so happy Baylor won this game, they had the # 1 class 2018 so they want have any drop off like UConn will. Can't wait till our Lady Vols play UConn next year.

Reactions: BUBear
This UConn and Baylor game had something no other teams has. Four number one players. UConn 2015. K. Samuelson, 2017. M. Walker, 2018. C. Williams..... Baylor 2016. L. Cox in the same game. Next year UConn (2) Baylor (1) Stanford (1). I was so happy Baylor won this game, they had the # 1 class 2018 so they want have any drop off like UConn will. Can't wait till our Lady Vols play UConn next year.

Wow good knowledge.
It is crazy though how some of these girls are ranked out of high school. Numbers and rankings don’t mean much. They’re good players but if you go down that list there are much better players.

VN Store

Back