Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

That lineup where Richards was guarding Dangerfield was scary. Not many teams gonna score on that size and speed.

I have no idea how Baylor lost to Stanford, to be honest...

They shouldn't have, but Tara had a great game plan for then and executed it. Baylor acted like they had no interest in that game though, and Brown and Cox didn't show up at all. Mulkey chewed their asses after that game and lit a fire under them.

Tara came up with a great game plan and nullified Brown and Cox and they just didn’t respond ...

Baylor is scary for sure but they def were blessed to get that graduate transfer to help at the guard spot. Sometimes the rich get richer.

I can’t say that this showdown will go down like March.

I think Baylor is a great match up for UConn but might have problem with the likes of UL or ND. It’s funny how someteams are built to beat other teams while they may not match up well with others.

That short bench caught up to UConn last night to, With the shooting problems they had a much needed bench would have help, O. Nelson-Ododa only played 5 mins. To me Geno is rolling the dice and last night he crapped out . Collier , Samuelson , Dangerfield all played 40 mins, The bottom line is UConn can not afford to foul against a team like Baylor.

They shouldn't have, but Tara had a great game plan for then and executed it. Baylor acted like they had no interest in that game though, and Brown and Cox didn't show up at all. Mulkey chewed their asses after that game and lit a fire under them.

Baylor played at Stanford..... Maples Pavilion much different from sold out at home

That lineup where Richards was guarding Dangerfield was scary. Not many teams gonna score on that size and speed.

I have no idea how Baylor lost to Stanford, to be honest...

Stanford just took them completely out of what they like to do. Baylor played pretty uninspired, but the Stanford defensive scheme that day was very effective, and very frustrating for their bigs. They weren't hitting outside shots so Stanford just collapsed, they couldn't even get Brown or Cox a touch so Mulkey sat them so they could at least run offense.

Lauren Cox was so deep in Napheesa Collier's head defensively that Collier was already thinking what her counter move was gonna be, assuming that Cox was gonna shut down her first option. That was a masterful defensive performance by Lauren. Collier is one of the most efficient players on offense in the country, and Lauren made her life miserable.

You are so right, by the third quarter last night if Collier caught it in the paint she was looking to pass immediately, didn't like that taste of that Wilson flaying back at her face every time she shot it.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
That short bench caught up to UConn last night to, With the shooting problems they had a much needed bench would have help, O. Nelson-Ododa only played 5 mins. To me Geno is rolling the dice and last night he crapped out . Collier , Samuelson , Dangerfield all played 40 mins, The bottom line is UConn can not afford to foul against a team like Baylor.

You right ! I am thinking

1. UConn better hope for some good grad transfers this year or depth will be a serious issue 2. They will have a couple of great recruiting classes back to back with a lot of playing time to be offered 3. They could have used a couple of those recent transfers to just give their guards a blow for a min or two. AEH has proven to be a decent sub for Ms St and has some length. Don’t know what you would have gotten out of them but it would have at least extended ur bench.

You right ! I am thinking

1. UConn better hope for some good grad transfers this year or depth will be a serious issue 2. They will have a couple of great recruiting classes back to back with a lot of playing time to be offered 3. They could have used a couple of those recent transfers to just give their guards a blow for a min or two. AEH has proven to be a decent sub for Ms St and has some length. Don’t know what you would have gotten out of them but it would have at least extended ur bench.

To me i think a team depth and can get good production from there bench will win the NC . No player on any team will shoot lights out every game so that`s why have depth is really important.

Tara came up with a great game plan and nullified Brown and Cox and they just didn’t respond ...

Baylor is scary for sure but they def were blessed to get that graduate transfer to help at the guard spot. Sometimes the rich get richer.

I can’t say that this showdown will go down like March.

I think Baylor is a great match up for UConn but might have problem with the likes of UL or ND. It’s funny how someteams are built to beat other teams while they may not match up well with others.

I also think Baylor is a great matchup vs. UConn. They have size and athleticism across the board. Once DaCosta, Egbo, and HSG catch up to Smith development-wise, they will be ridiculous. If they can get solid PG play out of HSG or Ursin this year, they are my pick to win the NC ( co-fav w ND). I know Louisville is unbeaten, but I'm not sold on them. I think both Oregon and MSST are better teams.

But I digress...my main delight is seeing UConn come back down to earth. We should see it more. May it be a sign of things to come 🙏

You are so right, by the third quarter last night if Collier caught it in the paint she was looking to pass immediately, didn't like that taste of that Wilson flaying back at her face every time she shot it.

I mean, Cox wasn't just blocking shots. Those were straight up volleyball spikes. She would have gotten more if teammates hadn't bailed out Napheesa with reach in fouls as Lauren was getting ready to sway another shot.

Collier earned all if her points the hard way, because she got zero easy looks. Cox is a really underrated defensive player. There were a few times where Collier got her out of position with a pump fake, but she still recovered in time to block the layup. She didn't shoot the ball well, but I can't blame KMR for playing her the whole game. She (and Richards) set the tone defensively for this game.

To me i think a team depth and can get good production from there bench will win the NC . No player on any team will shoot lights out every game so that`s why have depth is really important.

I think you just need a balanced starting five, like ND had last year. It helps if any of the players on the court can take over at any given time. This is where Tennessee desperately needs an inside presence. As we saw with UConn last night, it is difficult to live by the jumper against the better teams...unless you are vintage UConn.

I think you just need a balanced starting five, like ND had last year. It helps if any of the players on the court can take over at any given time. This is where Tennessee desperately needs an inside presence. As we saw with UConn last night, it is difficult to live by the jumper against the better teams...unless you are vintage UConn.

You are 100% correct we have no inside presence right now. I also think Auburn made a big mistake in the 2nd not feeding the ball more to Thompson we had no answer her.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
You are 100% correct we have no inside presence right now. I also think Auburn made a big mistake in the 2nd not feeding the ball more to Thompson we had no answer her.

They couldn't get her the ball, it wasn't a mistake on their part, it was good adjustment on defense for us. Started bringing the double and keeping her off the o-boards.

In other news, did anyone watch the SC/Texas A&M game? I don't think I'll watch after looking at the stat sheet, just looked like two teams that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. SC shot extremely poorly and Texas A&M somehow managed to shoot even worse.

Anytime Cooper puts up big numbers it seems SC struggle as a team, still don't think she is executing how Dawn has asked her to. Way too much hero ball going on with her. She had 24 last night but only shot 38% from the field (7-18) and 20% from the 3 (1-5). And she took 18 shots, 8 more than anyone else on the team and 11 more than Jennings who should theoretically be taking the majority of their shots based on efficiency. I've said it before, but her percentages just are not good enough to be a volume shooter. They were lucky to escape with the win last night.

Reactions: Volfan2012
In other news, did anyone watch the SC/Texas A&M game? I don't think I'll watch after looking at the stat sheet, just looked like two teams that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. SC shot extremely poorly and Texas A&M somehow managed to shoot even worse.

Anytime Cooper puts up big numbers it seems SC struggle as a team, still don't think she is executing how Dawn has asked her to. Way too much hero ball going on with her. She had 24 last night but only shot 38% from the field (7-18) and 20% from the 3 (1-5). And she took 18 shots, 8 more than anyone else on the team and 11 more than Jennings who should theoretically be taking the majority of their shots based on efficiency. I've said it before, but her percentages just are not good enough to be a volume shooter. They were lucky to escape with the win last night.

Her efficiency is crap anyone can score big if they put up enough shots. Anything below forty is terrible and 40 to 44 is only fair. You don't get into the good column until you shoot 45 percent. Of course Texas A&M also has their hit or miss player Carter who was 3 for 19 last night wonder why two girls transferred from the team. They got tired of her throwing up bad shots from everywhere. Not saying she couldn't be a very good player cause she has talent, but throwing up off balance shots and long NBA threes makes her look like a ball hog. I wonder why the coach puts up with it.

Beating TAMU on the road is easily their best result of the season. So Cooper not being efficient but putting up points in a low scoring game is probably not viewed that negatively by Dawn.

SC seems to have an issue of no one stepping up to the plate. Seems Cooper and Herrigan are the ones willing to make things happen. Not sure what's up with Jennings, she doesn't seem 100%.

One advantage of SC's "Murderer's Row" OOC schedule is that they have no misconceptions of who they are as a team.

I forgot the SC/Texas A&M game

Beating TAMU on the road is easily their best result of the season. So Cooper not being efficient but putting up points in a low scoring game is probably not viewed that negatively by Dawn.

SC seems to have an issue of no one stepping up to the plate. Seems Cooper and Herrigan are the ones willing to make things happen. Not sure what's up with Jennings, she doesn't seem 100%.

One advantage of SC's "Murderer's Row" OOC schedule is that they have no misconceptions of who they are as a team.

I don't think a win over TAMU is much to write home about this year, even on the road, they have been very inconsistent and I don't feel either team should be in the top 25 currently.

Hard to step up to the plate when you never touch the ball. Nobody else can score when you have a player that inefficient taking that many shots. Aside from her shooting from the field she scored 9-11 at the FT line which means she put up even more shots that didn't go on her stat sheet. Not saying its bad for a player to score, but they have to get someone else going. Anyone can score 24 on 18 field goal attempts and 11 FTs.

Someone like Katie Lou Samuelson, Sabrina Ionescu, or Alana Smith can carry their team because they generally make a high percentage of their shots. A low percentage, volume shooter is a nightmare for an offense and creates strife among teammates.

UCONN's women's basketball dynasty will eventually end. Geno will soon be 65 years old.

Sometimes dynasties end quickly, and sometimes it happens little by little.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I don't think a win over TAMU is much to write home about this year, even on the road, they have been very inconsistent and I don't feel either team should be in the top 25 currently.

Hard to step up to the plate when you never touch the ball. Nobody else can score when you have a player that inefficient taking that many shots. Aside from her shooting from the field she scored 9-11 at the FT line which means she put up even more shots that didn't go on her stat sheet. Not saying its bad for a player to score, but they have to get someone else going. Anyone can score 24 on 18 field goal attempts and 11 FTs.

Someone like Katie Lou Samuelson, Sabrina Ionescu, or Alana Smith can carry their team because they generally make a high percentage of their shots. A low percentage, volume shooter is a nightmare for an offense and creates strife among teammates.

Ionescu went 5-18 against MSST. She took almost twice as many shots as Heard, who shoots around 70% from the floor. Sabrina also got most of her points at the FT line. Oregon needed points and she provided them, even with a rough shooting night. Just like Cooper last night. So, not sure what your point is.

TAMU is also one of the better teams in the SEC. They beat ORST, which is the marquis win of any team in the SEC.Clearly the playbook against SC is to make their guards beat you. Seems like Cooper did just that.

Reactions: JDuro and ksl415
Ionescu went 5-18 against MSST. She took almost twice as many shots as Heard, who shoots around 70% from the floor. Sabrina also got most of her points at the FT line. Oregon needed points and she provided them, even with a rough shooting night. Just like Cooper last night. So, not sure what your point is.

TAMU is also one of the better teams in the SEC. They beat ORST, which is the marquis win of any team in the SEC.Clearly the playbook against SC is to make their guards beat you. Seems like Cooper did just that.

I'm talking on the season. And of course her numbers were down against MSST, they literally have the #1 defense in the country. She took more shots than Hebard that game because they couldn't see her through McGowan to even get her the ball. On the season Ionescu is 48% from the field almost 55% from 3 point range as far as I'm concerned she can shoot till her arm falls off with proven numbers like that.

Copper on the other hand is barley 40% from the field and just 30% from 3 on the season. That isn't the kind of player you want taking the majority of your shots.

Keep in mind that shooting as well as she does and taking as many shots as she does Sabrina also averages almost NINE assists a game, NINE. Copper dishes out about 2. They aren't even close to in the same league.

If the injury and disciplinary issues for TAMU don't magically sort themselves out in the next few weeks I think they are middle of the pack at best this season. Based on the season so far I strongly believe Auburn, Missouri (now that Porter returned), Georgia, TENN, and MSST are all better teams than TAMU. They won't lose all of those games because Gary can coach, but they'll be hard pressed to finish in the top 5.

Last edited:
I'm talking on the season. And of course her numbers were down against MSST, they literally have the #1 defense in the country. She took more shots than Hebard that game because they couldn't see her through McGowan to even get her the ball. On the season Ionescu is 48% from the field almost 55% from 3 point range as far as I'm concerned she can shoot till her arm falls off with proven numbers like that.

Copper on the other hand is barley 40% from the field and just 30% from 3 on the season. That isn't the kind of player you want taking the majority of your shots.

Keep in mind that shooting as well as she does and taking as many shots as she does Sabrina also averages almost NINE assists a game, NINE. Copper dishes out about 2. They aren't even close to in the same league.

If the injury and disciplinary issues for TAMU don't magically sort themselves out in the next few weeks I think they are middle of the pack at best this season.

They ran the pick and roll repeatedly with Hebard and Ionescu all night, and MSST couldn't stop it. Hebard was getting open at will because McCowan was getting dragged to the top of the key and Hebard was rolling to the basket for layups whenever she wanted it. Ionescu was exploiting a smaller defender on her and knew she could shoot over her or get to the FT line. She was right. But make no mistake...Hebard was open all night.

If Cooper was still playing for Tennessee, my prediction is that the assessment of her game fr people here would be different. Seems like another pissing session, similar to what Anastasia Hayes & Sisters can expect from this board next season 🙄

Reactions: ksl415 and JDuro
They ran the pick and roll repeatedly with Hebard and Ionescu all night, and MSST couldn't stop it. Hebard was getting open at will because McCowan was getting dragged to the top of the key and Hebard was rolling to the basket for layups whenever she wanted it. Ionescu was exploiting a smaller defender on her and knew she could shoot over her or get to the FT line. She was right. But make no mistake...Hebard was open all night.

If Cooper was still playing for Tennessee, my prediction is that the assessment of her game fr people here would be different. Seems like another pissing session, similar to what Anastasia Hayes & Sisters can expect from this board next season 🙄

I didn't like her game when she was at UT either, also didn't like Jamie Nared's game for the same reason, a low percentage, high volume player. It has nothing to do with her being a former Lady Vol and everything to do with the fact that since she started playing at SC their level of play and team cohesiveness have gone in the toilet. I understand that your are personally a fan, but she isn't the answer for SCs problems. I'm just looking at the objective facts. The best half of basketball they played all season was when Dawn benched her. Coincidence?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back