Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

Which teams are your early favorites to get to the final 4?
UCONN, Baylor, Notre Dame are good bets. The 4th spot could be a lot of teams. I really like Oregon's offense, but not so sure about defense.

The Oregon defense is a work in progress, to put it mildly, although it's been getting quite a bit better and they did hold Mississippi State well below their season average. They really can score, however, and it's not a matter of getting a lot of points in transition or off of turnovers (all the starters are in double figures and they shoot a bit above 50%). The other potential downside (other than not concentrating on defense) is that the Ducks typically only have 8 players available so any substantial injury would be a disaster. But if they stay injury free and Satou Sabally continues her current level of play (or gets even better), they will be a tough out for everyone except (I think) Notre Dame.

#1 Notre Dame loses to unranked North Carolina, 78-73, and #6 Stanford lost to #21 Utah today, 75-68! Close matches in several conferences, the parity in women's basketball is astronomical this year.

I recall after the McD AA skills challenge, all of us here were singing her praise. Pissing on her now that she's gone is very Boneyard-esque...

I think Alexa is a very good player and will do well at Iowa State. Fennelly is a good coach and I believe he will know how to maximize her productivity. The reality is that the Tennessee offense where they look to go inside first, second and third was a bad fit for her. Even when they have shooters like Zolman or Bjorklund, they rarely design plays to free them up for deep shots unless it's during a desperation play.

I liked her while she was suited up for Tennessee and look forward to seeing how she performs for the Cyclones.

Strangely, some of us make a habit of pissing on our players and making them the reason for our up and down program, especially over the last three years. Some of the fault may be on our players, however, the head coach has to have the ability to correct players' shortcomings. Most time we get way too much, I don't know by the head coach. The major blame has to be on Holly. If the players are all that bad, perhaps Holly needs to recruit players that fit into her offensive and defensive schemes.

Down goes Notre Dame. Looking for my Lady Bears to move up to #1 (holding the HtoH win over UConn).

Sic'em!

Idk if it was already posted on here but Alexis Morris, who played for Baylor is transferring to Rutgers.
C. Vivian Stringer went from being unranked this year to begin and now they’re in the top 25.
Interested to see how Maori Davenport will fit into the mix.

Down goes Notre Dame. Looking for my Lady Bears to move up to #1 (holding the HtoH win over UConn).

Sic'em!

I don’t think this knocks ND off the #1 line (in the tourney as a #1 seed) as they were missing one of their key players. I think Young is as important of a key to that team as any because she allows everybody else to do their jobs because she does EVERYTHING!

That’s a different team without bet on the court. Kara Lawson just said at the UT game that either Nixon or Prohaska was gonna have to step up and provide something. I bet she didn’t know how quick that statement was gonna turn into reality.

I think this may send UL out west as the number 1 seed but if they beat UCONN or if UCONN some how loses to them and SC I think Oregon comes out east and that makes UCONN #2 in that region looking down the road if OU goes undefeated in PAC 12 play. No way UL,ND, or Baylor end up in their region but OU could as the number 1 seed.

Stanford is prolly gonna remain on the 2 seed line now if not drop to a 3 seed with having to play OU and OSU... the PAC 12 tourney will help decide some stuff.

Baylor has a tough inside game and a gamer guard but do you think Didi Richardson would be able to take Ionescu out the game like she did Samuelson? OU has different mentality when it comes to letting it fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVsinceJV
I don’t think this knocks ND off the #1 line (in the tourney as a #1 seed) as they were missing one of their key players. I think Young is as important of a key to that team as any because she allows everybody else to do their jobs because she does EVERYTHING!

That’s a different team without bet on the court. Kara Lawson just said at the UT game that either Nixon or Prohaska was gonna have to step up and provide something. I bet she didn’t know how quick that statement was gonna turn into reality.

I think this may send UL out west as the number 1 seed but if they beat UCONN or if UCONN some how loses to them and SC I think Oregon comes out east and that makes UCONN #2 in that region looking down the road if OU goes undefeated in PAC 12 play. No way UL,ND, or Baylor end up in their region but OU could as the number 1 seed.

Stanford is prolly gonna remain on the 2 seed line now if not drop to a 3 seed with having to play OU and OSU... the PAC 12 tourney will help decide some stuff.

Baylor has a tough inside game and a gamer guard but do you think Didi Richardson would be able to take Ionescu out the game like she did Samuelson? OU has different mentality when it comes to letting it fly.

I agree with your analysis I feel that is pretty spot on. That loss hurts ND, but not a ton, they're still a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Young is definitely a big cog in their wheel, she is their "do everything" player that will step up and do whatever is needed during the game. Whether that's rebounds, scoring or assists, she reads the game well.

I'm relatively sure Oregon will get tripped up at least a couple of games in the PAC 12, Utah is playing very tough and play great defense. Stanford also has their number and can shoot right along with Oregon, plus Stanford's D is better. Oregon still has some big holes in their defense to workout. Hard to say who will be the 1 seed out of that conference, but I do believe they'll get one.

Baylor may be the only team with enough length to bother Oregon's shot, and Ionescu's passing ability, Richards can flat defend and her back-ups did an excellent job not letting the defensive pressure drop off when she got a breather. I think if they play the kind of defense they did on UCONN Oregon would be in for a long night. Plus Boley is a massive defensive liability and she would be guarding Nylissa Smith or DeDe who can both take it to the rack, would be a layup drill all night for whomever she's guarding. She has a sweet stroke when she's on, but her defense and lateral movement abilities are atrocious.

I agree with your analysis I feel that is pretty spot on. That loss hurts ND, but not a ton, they're still a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Young is definitely a big cog in their wheel, she is their "do everything" player that will step up and do whatever is needed during the game. Whether that's rebounds, scoring or assists, she reads the game well.

I'm relatively sure Oregon will get tripped up at least a couple of games in the PAC 12, Utah is playing very tough and play great defense. Stanford also has their number and can shoot right along with Oregon, plus Stanford's D is better. Oregon still has some big holes in their defense to workout. Hard to say who will be the 1 seed out of that conference, but I do believe they'll get one.

Baylor may be the only team with enough length to bother Oregon's shot, and Ionescu's passing ability, Richards can flat defend and her back-ups did an excellent job not letting the defensive pressure drop off when she got a breather. I think if they play the kind of defense they did on UCONN Oregon would be in for a long night. Plus Boley is a massive defensive liability and she would be guarding Nylissa Smith or DeDe who can both take it to the rack, would be a layup drill all night for whomever she's guarding. She has a sweet stroke when she's on, but her defense and lateral movement abilities are atrocious.

Agreed! I just think Ionescu is one of those transcendent players (Like a Taurasi or Parker) that you thrownyour best at her and she still gets 16 10 and 8 while helping her team. But I also think their defense is suspect!! The thing with OU their 6”2/6”3 players draw the bigs away from the basket

VN Store

Back